Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Oil drain and scavenge pump questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 07:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil drain and scavenge pump questions

I am currently running the on3 turbo kit with my car and the drain on turbo is only a few inches higher than the drain into the pan. My current scavenge pump has stopped working adequately so I am wondering if I even need a scavenge pump anymore and maybe just drain directly to pan. Ive been reading some use one some don't. If I use one I would get a turbowerx exa pump. Also does anyone run a sump before the scavenge pump or is it not needed? I just don't want any oil backup/smoke or even worse blowing a seal. If anyone could chime in with personal experiences or some insight on this I would really appreciate the help.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didnt have issues with a sump and exa pump in the pump in the past and for the short time on this last build it worked fine.

If you got that route again, hit me up, i have an almost new EXA im unloading.

Also, i believe that a sump is beneficial to the scavenge pump cars. But thats my opinion. A vented sump can.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JAX04
I didnt have issues with a sump and exa pump in the pump in the past and for the short time on this last build it worked fine.

If you got that route again, hit me up, i have an almost new EXA im unloading.

Also, i believe that a sump is beneficial to the scavenge pump cars. But thats my opinion. A vented sump can.
I was going to try to not run a scavenge but don't want to ruin a good turbo since its such a small decline to drain. What are the pros/cons of running a vented sump vs not using one and draining directly to the scavenge pump?
Old 08-26-2014, 07:10 AM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

If the drain level of the turbo is higher than the level of oil in the pan, and has a decent unrestricted path, then no pumps should be necessary.

If you are having problems at present and some oil has passed into compressor or turbine, just resolve the oil drain problem, clean away any excess oil and let it be.

The chances of any damage being done to the turbo from the oil passing is almost none.

Quick Reply: Oil drain and scavenge pump questions