Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

N20/Meth Question for FI setup???

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 11:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default N20/Meth Question for FI setup???

Ok guys, I am a LT1 rider and not to many people still fool with LT1's anymore. I am trying to grasp an understanding around this concept of mine, so bare with me.

So I have 10:5 compression and I have asked questions about meth before, but after doing some research I have started to confuse myself on which to use. (Point me in the right direction if I ask the wrong questions) My questions are:

Which is better to use N20 or Meth? (They both have similar traits but wondering which was better)

N20 does create slightly higher cylinder pressure, more than meth?

Is N20 better it has the ability to add more hp than meth? (Thinking of a minimal progressive shot of N20)

Which is more forgiving?(If I run out of either during higher than normal boost Im pretty much screwed)

Since N20 adds hp and meth offers better ambient temps which could result in hp gains, am I wrong for thinking N20 is a better choice for me?

Chime in and let me know what you think!
Old 09-16-2014, 01:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which is better depends on situation.
nitrous will defiantly create higher cylinder pressures than methanol
nitrous will add more available oxygen so if you add more fuel it will make more hp than methanol alone
methanol is more forgiving than nitrous.
better choice is unknown if we dont know what you have and your goals

What are the goals for the car and some more info on your setup?
Old 09-16-2014, 03:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mods in sig, but I plan on street and strip, but more strip than street. Right now because of my setup I plan not to really go over 10#s until I get my tuning skills up to par. But im fully forged ported heads TC7875, 2.5 crossover, custom headers, 80lbs injectors, ported intake. I did everything as boost friendly as possible. The CR was higher to have good torque so I wouldn't be too laggy and help spool turbo.

Im thinking that every so often I might run more boost but more than likely I would turn up the boost at the strip.

Im not an over achiever but I would like to see 800 to the crank and maybe a high 10s pass!
Old 09-16-2014, 06:36 PM
On The Tree

E85 or pump gas?
Old 09-17-2014, 08:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

I will be running E85.

Come on guys, I know Im not the only person that has contemplated this situation.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:39 AM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by SwampWS6
I will be running E85.

Come on guys, I know Im not the only person that has contemplated this situation.
Stop overthinking this.

You are going to spend a fortune on N20 fills if you plan on using that for constant cooling while driving. Its not worth the added complexity when you have yet to work out the bugs of a turbo build.

Prepare to run at least 60psi base and 1:1 it for boost, so you will need a big *** fuel system, especially cause you are on E85. Get it base tuned, log IATs and KR, then adjust with meth if needed. I would try and use the meth sparingly and as a safety back up but you may be forced to use it to maintain IAT.

Do not let your tuner crank the timing, you do not need a lot, just add more boost and watch your backpressure.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:16 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Shownomercy
Stop overthinking this.

You are going to spend a fortune on N20 fills if you plan on using that for constant cooling while driving. Its not worth the added complexity when you have yet to work out the bugs of a turbo build.

Prepare to run at least 60psi base and 1:1 it for boost, so you will need a big *** fuel system, especially cause you are on E85. Get it base tuned, log IATs and KR, then adjust with meth if needed. I would try and use the meth sparingly and as a safety back up but you may be forced to use it to maintain IAT.

Do not let your tuner crank the timing, you do not need a lot, just add more boost and watch your backpressure.
I agree.

Just use a boost controller and a good tune up should have no issue and at 10# intake air temp should not be high enough to need methanol. If you are just wanting nitrous get it tuned and just put a 50-100hp wet kit on it and use it at the track.
Old 09-17-2014, 12:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Shownomercy
Stop overthinking this.

Oh no! Im not using it for constant cooling while driving. Its more so for when Im at the strip running higher amounts of boost than what I would use just driving it on the street. This is just a thought. I havent set my mind on any 1 given thing yet. It was just a idea that I came across while doing my normal research. SNM you should know better . I was just thinking aloud to see what people thoughts were. My build is nowhere dependent on Meth or N20. If I wanted to force more boost I was just seeing what would the setup like better. But you always give me more ideas and tell me how it is. So thanks.
Old 09-17-2014, 12:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ken6881
I agree.

Just use a boost controller and a good tune up should have no issue and at 10# intake air temp should not be high enough to need methanol. If you are just wanting nitrous get it tuned and just put a 50-100hp wet kit on it and use it at the track.
Exactly what I was thinking. I was just thinking a progressive 50 shot would be enough to keep IATs low and guarantee additional hp. Where meth would lower IATs but not make as much hp as N20. For strip and a street race use every now and again.

What do you guys consider a good boost controller?
Old 09-17-2014, 01:21 PM
On The Tree

electronic Eboost2, Eboost, ams500, ams1000, AEM tru boost, gfb g force(never seen one in hand but would expect decent quality)

Lots of cheap manual ones out there that would work as well but are not near the features or as "shiny"

Quick Reply: N20/Meth Question for FI setup???