Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

dedicated turbo oil system, Ideas and inputs welcome

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 12:29 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dedicated turbo oil system, Ideas and inputs welcome

So I've just been brainstorming some turbo oiling system ideas, and what I've got so far for a front mount turbo that is at the same level as the intake. is using an external belt drive wet sump pump, building a baffled oil tank (1.5 gallons) with feed and return ports possibly a filter on the tank if not a remote mount filter, and running the feed line to the pump and then the pressure side of the pump to the turbo and then turbo drains back into the tank.

thinking about using a pump like this but I'm not sure what the crank pulley spacing is like. I would want to keep the oil pump in the engine on its own system so that if the engine pump fails then i don't ruin the turbo from oil starvation or metal shavings.

Any ideas or comments welcome
Old 10-07-2014, 10:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

this is a lot of money and complication just trying to save a buck on turbo rebuild.

if the engine oil pump fails you will have a failed engine, and sometimes that takes out the turbo on its own.

if i was (i am on my build) going through all of this expense and complication for an external oil pump, it would damn sure be for protecting the actual engine than the turbo.

sorry if that does not help you if you are fixed on your reasoning.
if i had to do it, id use a small electric pump. 60psi at low volume is easy to come by. and cheaper and easier to incorporate.

you could also go oil-less. no oil to cross contaminate there.
Old 10-07-2014, 02:12 PM

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

you're probably better off just running a scavenge pump and a small tank to the turbo, rather than setting up external oil etc

some people just run a filter on the oil feed for the turbo

other people just put the loud pedal down ***** out
Old 10-07-2014, 03:02 PM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

Huge waste of money and effort IMO. Buy an electric pump as mentioned or buy an "oil-less" turbo. Would be half the money/effort in the end.

Quick Reply: dedicated turbo oil system, Ideas and inputs welcome