Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

2002 Camaro SS AC Retaining Turbo Build

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 01:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 582 Likes on 453 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

So Rawr, you said you ran into fuel issues at around 8lbs right? What fuel system components were you running? I'm running a Walbro 255, racetronix Hotwire kit, and 60lbs Siemens injectors. The plan is 10lbs but I'm thinking of buying a 6lbs spring to start off with. Good idea or no? It sounds like your getting the performance I want at around 6lbs.
Old 12-21-2014, 02:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a walbro with 80 lb injectors. I was doing 4th gear pulls on the dyno when I turned it up a bit and started getting spark blow out. Probably won't go mess around with it again on the dyno until I get a double pump setup thrown in then turn it up. Can't remember for sure but think it was at 8# and 15* timing or so where I hit 621. With the cam and 317's I know it's got a lot more left in it but the fuel system needs some love.

Right now I see up to 82% injector duty the longer the pull goes on. I think it has more to do with the volume being delivered and the injector's trying to keep up. I ran into the same issue when I had a ruptured fuel line on stock injectors so I am sure it has more to do with delivery/pump more then something like injectors.
Old 12-21-2014, 02:24 PM
TECH Addict

LS1Tech 10 Year

Wow. I'm aiming for 550 so 10lbs is going to be more than I need. With my stage three CNC ported truck heads and custom turbo cam I should be ahead of the game so maybe I will start at 6 lbs.
Old 12-21-2014, 06:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh ya should have more then enough with that. Only other thing I would consider is a cutout unless you plan to dump the exhaust. I picked up 65rwhp iirc just from opening the cutout. The bends at the back must really choke it down.

Take it easy with the tuning and you should be golden for 550 no sweat.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:26 PM
TECH Addict

LS1Tech 10 Year

I'd love to do a cutout but that will be the last thing on my list unfortunately. I'm selling the rest of the parts that came off to finish the build although I won't have the cash for a tune for a while. So the car will sit in the garage looking sexy as **** which is gonna suck lol. Do you run an air filter on your 76? I know the big turbo guys don't because it becomes a restriction which blows my mind but I don't know what the TC78 prefers. It's a 99% street car so I'm really leaning at using one.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I threw on a little spectre filter I picked up at Autozone. I was curious what the difference with/without it would be on the dyno but never got around to playing with that with the fueling issues. My car like yours spend 99% of it's life driving on the road and not the track so filter goes on. I might take it off once for a track pass or dyno pull just for gains/numbers but would never consider running around normally without one unless the turbo where in a more off located area where stuff doesn't typically get.

For the tuning bit, I would suggest snagging up HPT and a WB and doing some reading. In the long run I could see it saving you some money. I got mine back when I first got my TA and the amount of money it has saved me on different fronts is just crazy. There is a plethora of information out there on how to tune the cars, just gotta take it slow. Takes some time up front but in the end will be totally worth it.
Old 01-04-2015, 03:55 PM
TECH Addict

LS1Tech 10 Year

Hola guys, I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and a safe Happy New Year! I made some killer process this weekend. Most of which was basic reassambly stuff but some was fab stuff which was fun. The basic stuff was as follows;
Reinstall intake manifold.
Install NGK BR6EF plugs gapped at .028" per Pat G. Thanks Pat!
Installed coil packs.
Removed the oil lines and wrapped them with DEI Shield Wrap.
*Also on the topic of oil restrictors that RAWR and I were discussing, I contacted Jon at Huron Speed who was awesome enough to reach out to Turbonetics and find out that Turbonetics DOES NOT recommend a restrictor in the oil feed for the TC78 turbo. Only add the restrictor if oil blow by is evident. So RAWR is correct that one is acceptable to use but only if the situation calls for it. So I will start without one and go from there.*

Installed the eBay Titanium Turbo blanket, this was actually hard to find to fit the compact size of the TC78. The fit is excellent and quality seems good.
The down pipe required some slight mods mostly due to my own fault on the oil return bung replacement. The down pipe pointed right at so I trimmed the length and added a 45' bend as well as adding the bung for my AFR gauge.
Wrapped it 3/4 of the way and done.

With a little luck I'll get the fans and alternator mounted up next weekend because I've said I will the last three posts lol. As always questions and recommendations are welcome so thanks guys and tune in next week! Soon I'll be building the cold side and adding a little punch to my fuel system as well as installing the Mighty Mouse Catch Can.

Here's the bung and the added elbow.

Engine looks like an engine again.

Completed wrapped hotside w/ turbo and blanket.

Same thing again.

Down pipe now clears the oil lines.
Old 01-08-2015, 08:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The ******
Hola guys, I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and a safe Happy New Year! I made some killer process this weekend. Most of which was basic reassambly stuff but some was fab stuff which was fun. The basic stuff was as follows;
Reinstall intake manifold.
Install NGK BR6EF plugs gapped at .028" per Pat G. Thanks Pat!
Installed coil packs.
Removed the oil lines and wrapped them with DEI Shield Wrap.
*Also on the topic of oil restrictors that RAWR and I were discussing, I contacted Jon at Huron Speed who was awesome enough to reach out to Turbonetics and find out that Turbonetics DOES NOT recommend a restrictor in the oil feed for the TC78 turbo. Only add the restrictor if oil blow by is evident. So RAWR is correct that one is acceptable to use but only if the situation calls for it. So I will start without one and go from there.*

Installed the eBay Titanium Turbo blanket, this was actually hard to find to fit the compact size of the TC78. The fit is excellent and quality seems good.
The down pipe required some slight mods mostly due to my own fault on the oil return bung replacement. The down pipe pointed right at so I trimmed the length and added a 45' bend as well as adding the bung for my AFR gauge.
Wrapped it 3/4 of the way and done.

With a little luck I'll get the fans and alternator mounted up next weekend because I've said I will the last three posts lol. As always questions and recommendations are welcome so thanks guys and tune in next week! Soon I'll be building the cold side and adding a little punch to my fuel system as well as installing the Mighty Mouse Catch Can.

Here's the bung and the added elbow.

Engine looks like an engine again.

Completed wrapped hotside w/ turbo and blanket.

Same thing again.

Down pipe now clears the oil lines.
Where did you get the 45* angle cut? I feel im going to have the same issue
Old 01-08-2015, 08:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

And isn't that bung for AFR too close to the exhaust turbine? I've read somewhere most wideband sensors are not high temp resistant
Old 01-09-2015, 12:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Very nice man! Looks like you're getting close to finishing her up. I am also getting very close to being able to start aquiring parts for my build, so I'm following your build really closely. Can't wait to see how it does when you're done!
Old 01-09-2015, 07:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Looks like it's getting there. I will agree, thought the O2 should be further away? I know at the shot we have had issues with O2 being in short pipes like that and getting odd readings. Mine was just past the motor mount.

I would snag up a reducer just so that way you don't go for your first drive and suddenly have to wait days to get a $20 part. If it turns out you don't need it you can still use it somewhere else without the reducer fitting in it anyway.
Old 01-11-2015, 10:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by svg210
And isn't that bung for AFR too close to the exhaust turbine? I've read somewhere most wideband sensors are not high temp resistant
IIRC, my wideband I put in by civic turbo build several years back also called for it to be placed 5-7 inches down from the exhaust housing on the turbo. It always worked perfectly. If that's the case here, that bung looks to be in roughly the right spot
Old 01-13-2015, 07:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Anymore pics on how you mounted the fans? Did you get rid of yhat plastic piece in front of the condenser?
Old 01-14-2015, 10:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

LS1Tech 10 Year

Awesome looking build. I can't wait to get my huron speed kit. Although I still have time because I'm still on the search for a new car. (Just sold my 93 z28).

Maybe I missed it but are you using stock cam?
Old 01-22-2015, 07:57 PM
TECH Addict

LS1Tech 10 Year

Hey guys, apologizes for my absence. Between the holidays and traveling for business I haven't had anytime to even look at the car but with premium fuel now at $2.19 a gallon I'm really starting to itch lol. I'm attempting to get out there this weekend and mount up the fans and hopefully mount up my Mighty Mouse catch can right next to the battery. Then mock up the coldside, install my racetronix hotwire kit, install AFR and boost gauges, tune it and see how she drives. I did elect to put a 6lbs spring in the wastegate instead of the 10lbs to start off slowly and avoid any fueling issues. I also bought a restrictor for the turbo oil feed so I'll keep you updated on whether or not that was needed but I'm leaning toward needing it. Thanks for the kudos guys and for sticking with me on this build! I hope it's been helpful to you!
Old 01-22-2015, 08:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Great build man!
Old 01-29-2015, 07:06 PM
TECH Addict

LS1Tech 10 Year

Thank you sir!! Oh yeah and a tip for anybody else duplicating this build, don't be meat popsicle like me and not read the installation instructions for your AFR gauge pertaining to where to place the O2 sensor. After everybody made mention I did what I should have done and read Innovative's instructions for placement and mine is waaaaaaaay off. The bung needs to be placed a minimum of 24" from the turbo outlet, yeah mine is 8"...... So I'm buying another bung and placing it in the elbow I welded on the end of the down pipe. Thank you for bring that to light guys! I'd rather buy a $14 bung than a $150 sensor a few times over. I'm hoping to get out to the garage this weekend but it's super bowl weekend and my last weekend before I fly out to New York for two weeks so we'll see what happens. Stay tuned guys and thanks for the support!
Old 01-29-2015, 07:10 PM
TECH Addict

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by mcalus
Awesome looking build. I can't wait to get my huron speed kit. Although I still have time because I'm still on the search for a new car. (Just sold my 93 z28).

Maybe I missed it but are you using stock cam?
Hola Mcalus, the car came with a 230/230 .609/.609 115+2 cam in the car already. The cam is spec'd for turbo use on a 370ci so hopefully it won't be too big. I'm hoping with an 800 rpm idle it'll still have a little lope.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:13 PM
TECH Addict

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by svg210
Anymore pics on how you mounted the fans? Did you get rid of yhat plastic piece in front of the condenser?
Hey SVG210, I haven't mounted the fans yet and I plan on keeping as many factory parts as I can to maintain daily driver reliability so I'm gonna try like hell to keep it because I'm sure it serves a purpose. I'll be mounting the fans to condenser as well, some day lol.
Old 02-03-2015, 07:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by The ******
Hey SVG210, I haven't mounted the fans yet and I plan on keeping as many factory parts as I can to maintain daily driver reliability so I'm gonna try like hell to keep it because I'm sure it serves a purpose. I'll be mounting the fans to condenser as well, some day lol.

Lol glad you looked into the bung placement issue!

I am currently mounting my hotside. And so far its been a pain in the ***. Thanks to the tight spaces. After reading a few Huron Speed AC V1 kit users from south texas, and their overheating issues. I decided to relocate and go with a smaller condenser. My setup actually started as a truck manifold kit. Then I got the AC hotside.

Quick Reply: 2002 Camaro SS AC Retaining Turbo Build