Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

66 Chevelle Turbo 6.0 Sloppy Style

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 02:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 69-chvl
Good turbo placement! You should be able to get a nice big air filter on there.
Yeah that was the idea. The placement worked out well

Originally Posted by GotBoostRacing
Coming along very nicely.
Not fast enough though!

Today i got the waste gate put on and welded up, its dumped back into the down pipe to keep things quiet. I worked on the wiring today and rigged up my psi harness to do a read entire on the ecu, and it wouldnt get past preparing to read ecm??? Iv looked on forums and it looks like it could be a drained battery issue, but i had a jumper box hooked up as well and no luck. I checked my power and grounds and they all were hooked up as they should, i heard the relays click on and theres power at the obdII port as well. Kind of stumped. Anyone run into this issue??
Old 05-03-2015, 03:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

I will upload some pictures tomorrow. I had some buddies come over and help today, got quite a bit done. After chasing leaks for an hour i pressurized the fuel lines and they are solid now and i adjusted my FPR to 58 to its good to go! Also go coolant hoses on, radiator fans mounted, gaskets for exhaust manifold on a tightened, and screwed with the ecu for what must have been 3 hours. I uninstalled and installed the hp tuners software like 5 or 6 times, it still wouldnt work. Almost burned the whole thing to the ground because i was so pissed, i then popped in the CD that came with hp tuners and downloaded software from cd, no more issues. So the older software works for me but not the newest software online... anyways. Got oil pressure line hooked up, hopefully some startup vids will be coming soon! Currently copying over denmahs 6L truck tune to my ECU as we speak
Old 05-04-2015, 10:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

She lives! No pics though, looks the same as always. I forgot to turn off VATs so it would start and run for a second or two. Built great oil pressure, that was a huge relief. Tried to get back into the ECU, came me the damn "definition failed to load" crap. I uninstalled and installed the software again and pulled up my tune and its not giving me that error anymore, i will turn off vats tomorrow. Worked on wiring fans, fuel pump, TCC etc, should be on the road by the end of the week. If all goes well I will take vids tomorrow. Also sold my old 396, so i have funds again haha
Old 05-05-2015, 06:13 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 242 Likes on 169 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Looking good-I was able to get a nice round K & N filter on my turbo, pretty much fits like your turbo placement
Old 05-06-2015, 12:02 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wondering could you give a ballpark figure of what you have spent in parts for this swap? I'm currently working on a 6.0 swap in one of my 86 cutlass supreme but it's going to be strictly track and I plan to make a daily driver out of my 83 cutlass with a 6.0 or 5.3 so just wondering around how much for parts for all you have done. Thanks.
Old 05-06-2015, 10:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well today sucked. Tried getting the adapter for my turbo feed by the cam sensor screwed in, ended up busting it in the block... After lots of swearing and taking the intake off i got it out. Overnighting a new adapter it should be here tomorrow. Got the trans installed, shifter mounted, and of course the driveshaft i had made was too long. This crap never ends. Shorter driveshaft will be done tomorrow, then putting it all together. Wont be long now

Originally Posted by LSCutty
Just wondering could you give a ballpark figure of what you have spent in parts for this swap? I'm currently working on a 6.0 swap in one of my 86 cutlass supreme but it's going to be strictly track and I plan to make a daily driver out of my 83 cutlass with a 6.0 or 5.3 so just wondering around how much for parts for all you have done. Thanks.
Honestly it was over double what i originally estimated. I thought i could get it done with bottom drawer parts for about 4 grand, and so far im up to about 8 haha. Going to the autoparts store once a day and getting small little stuff you dont think about really adds up. Hell this past week iv spent 400 at my local oreillys. Me also being in a huge time crunch doesnt help, so theres that. Like everyone says, make a spreadsheet, add it all up, and double it. That seems to work well
Old 05-07-2015, 09:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Heres a quick video of first start up. I really really need help with tuning. I loaded up Denmahs turbo truck tune, and the thing barely idles. I know it seems ok in the video but since then it doesn't want to idle at all unless i hold my hand over the air intake and only let a little air in. Im going to scour forums tonight on a crash course for tuning for dummies, but any input is aprreciated. Also, i put my idle table to 2000 rpm, but it hovers at about 1000, what would cause this? Also, where should i start when it comes to tuning just to get a decent idle? Thanks for the help

Old 05-08-2015, 08:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don't have time to find it right now, but search out the russ K idle config, it should sort out your idle airflow.

See this thread Russ K idle congfig works
Old 05-08-2015, 11:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Bowtie316
I don't have time to find it right now, but search out the russ K idle config, it should sort out your idle airflow.

See this thread Russ K idle congfig works
Thanks i didnt get a chance to look it up, ill do it tonight. After going over the tune table by table and making sure i copied all of denmahs numbers correctly, i realized i copied some tables wrong, and it helped a bit. After an hour on the phone with innovate i got my wide-band working. It was trying to idle at 22 AFR! So im not sure if this is the right thing to do or not, but i messed with the VE table and added about 25 percent more fuel in the lower cells and immediately afr went to 14. Is this the table i should be using or more mess with the airflow tables? I need help haha
Old 05-09-2015, 05:53 AM
12 Second Club

are you running the same injectors denmah is? if not you need to put the correct injector data in before you do anything.
Old 05-09-2015, 10:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah same siemens Deka 80's. Iv checked and rechecked those tables. The only thing i can figure is that i ave a much smaller cam than he was running, so im pulling more vacuum and need more fuel?
Old 05-09-2015, 02:28 PM
12 Second Club

not really. honestly it might be better to put everything back to stock except the injector data and his timing and start from scratch. you have a wideband so its not hard to make adjustmets as long as you have the right histrograms set up in hp tuners
Old 05-11-2015, 12:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by hodge9386
not really. honestly it might be better to put everything back to stock except the injector data and his timing and start from scratch. you have a wideband so its not hard to make adjustmets as long as you have the right histrograms set up in hp tuners
Great thanks for the tips. I decided to play it safe and keep the car at home rather than bring it to school before the tune is on. So all thats left to do before the car is totally "done" is hook up turbo compressor to intercooler and tune it and im rollin! Im headed back to school tomorrow, so i washed her up and tucked her back under her cover for a few months before i can come back and finish. Here are some pics

Great ten foot paint job. Please dont get closer than that lol
Name:  IMG_1351_zpsryh3znxk.jpg
Views: 1170
Size:  260.7 KB

Ended up cutting up a silverado upper rad hose, snaked it around the charge pipe
Name:  IMG_1352_zpshuxza9aj.jpg
Views: 1178
Size:  210.0 KB

Ill be cleaning up the vac lines for boost controller, dont worry haha. Also busted my damn heater core, so i looped the lines for now
Name:  IMG_1353_zpsnedwpbeg.jpg
Views: 1185
Size:  297.0 KB

Just need to add a hard 90 elbow through the core support to the intercooler
Name:  IMG_1356_zpshonmvhfq.jpg
Views: 1163
Size:  247.4 KB

Dont mind the wiring, still hooking up MIL light and left the temp wire and some other things dangling. The B&M shifter fits and looks great, really happy with it thus far.
Name:  IMG_1359_zpsr1ccbzhx.jpg
Views: 1151
Size:  299.1 KB

It flowed nicely with a console i made a few years back, everything fits well Name:  IMG_1360_zpsx7tpwnm8.jpg
Views: 1132
Size:  281.9 KB

Got the car idling decent and putted around the neighborhood, it sounds mean with an open dump pipe. I cant wait to actually get on it with some boost!
Im going to study HP tuners really hard and scour the internet on tuning for dummies, im determined to learn how to tune. Stay tuned for updates Later this summer!
Old 05-11-2015, 01:03 AM
Launching!

Man I love the build. I'm jealous I don't have as much room in the engine bay of my nova that you have in your chevelle.
Old 05-11-2015, 08:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great build man
Old 05-11-2015, 03:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RatCityRex
Man I love the build. I'm jealous I don't have as much room in the engine bay of my nova that you have in your chevelle.
Thanks! Yeah it was still a pain to figure out all piping and hoses and everything, but much more room than that nova your working on! Keep your updates coming, the car is turning out great!
Originally Posted by kainedogg
Great build man
Thanks! Its time to get schooled in tuning
Old 05-14-2015, 01:03 PM
Teching In

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info on price. By the way awesome car and build I love it.
Old 08-08-2015, 11:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Update time! Im finally home again, hopefully for the last time. Hopped in the car this afternoon right when i got home and tried to fire it up, but it was out of gas so i filled the tank up and she fired right up, Fuel injection FTW! I never actually drove it before i left, so i took it around my neighborhood, and just cruising at like 10mph i was grinning ear to ear. It felt so good to actually drive it after a year and a half. The cold side wasn't hooked up, so i kept it under 1500 rpm. I then proceeded to tear the entire hot side down and got it all heat wrapped with the summit volcano stuff, im itchy as crap right now. Going to get it all put back together tomorrow finish up my pipe from the compessor to the I/C and work on the tune, driving it today it actually wasnt half bad, just a slight hesitation when getting on the throttle Name:  b20ed4e7-14b6-488e-8027-4e0a41b731a7_zpstzuhpra3.jpg
Views: 1187
Size:  575.6 KB
Old 08-09-2015, 05:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice work! I'd get the cold side buttoned up before worrying about the tune.
Old 08-09-2015, 06:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That's one great looking car

Quick Reply: 66 Chevelle Turbo 6.0 Sloppy Style