Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Scavenger pump question

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 08:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kind of off topic, but is anyone running a delay relay so the pump stays on for 30 seconds or so after the key is shut off? I bought a delay relay yesterday from Delcity and plan on using it.

Should I even be worrying about running the pump after the motor is shut off?
Old 01-29-2015, 08:45 AM
8 Second Club

Received 759 Likes on 557 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by Hi-Po
Kind of off topic, but is anyone running a delay relay so the pump stays on for 30 seconds or so after the key is shut off? I bought a delay relay yesterday from Delcity and plan on using it.

That is one of the “work-arounds” I was talking about. If you don’t have a sump, you’ll want some sort of timer so oil does not pool up and sit in the turbo.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:48 AM
12 Second Club

Not at all, I run a 30 second timer on mine.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
That is one of the “work-arounds” I was talking about. If you don’t have a sump, you’ll want some sort of timer so oil does not pool up and sit in the turbo.
I have -10 drain line out of each turbo that can kind of act as a sump I think, but adding a delay relay is super simple. Going to have the Holley activate it from a TPS (15% or greater) or RPM (100 RPM or greater) so it doesn't come on when I'm just sitting in the car changing the tune or listening to music lol.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:19 AM
On The Tree

Where can I get one of these delay relays, something you can pick up at the parts store? Do you wire it up like a normal relay?
Old 01-29-2015, 10:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dieselman88
Where can I get one of these delay relays, something you can pick up at the parts store? Do you wire it up like a normal relay?
http://www.delcity.net/store/Time-Delay-Relay/p_804415

Like any other relay.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:45 AM
TECH Resident

Received 79 Likes on 68 Posts

I use that one and have it set for 25-30 sec. Since I trigger it with my fuel pump relay I added a diode to the trigger as the other circuit was not allowing the r/c circuit in the relay to time correctly.

Not much room for a sump in a C5 vette with a batwing oil pan and low mounted turbos in my case. My build is here if you are curious https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...tte-build.html

Old 01-29-2015, 01:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I like the idea of the timed relays and they have their place for sure.

But yes a sump vented to atmosphere is the correct way to do it so that there is not a vacuum on the outlet side of the turbo drain "sucking" oil out. With a sump that has enough volume, this is the way to go. My only concern is that the pump flows more than the sump is being fed and your constantly pulled air and oil through the pump...which would wear out the gears more quickly.

I will probably opt for no sump, a check valve right off the turbo oil drain, and a timed relay. You could also "T" off of the return, and plumb a -10 vertically up a ways with a vent to atmosphere, as long as the pump is below the turbo center section and can easily gravity drain to the pump.
Old 01-29-2015, 01:46 PM
12 Second Club

This is my system, vent line goes to the valve cover. My pump only spits out out even with twin turbo, oil isn't airiated to anything I would worry about.

Old 01-29-2015, 01:47 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

A sump is good if you have the room, but it is not essential.

And place the check valve on the feed into the turbo, then no oil can move in the system, and oil in the oil galleries cannot syphon into the turbo.

The Exa uses bronze skewed gears, no additional lubrication is required and they run quiet anyway

As said earlier and in the video, I have a run on timer of around 15 seconds.

Dont really need it, I just wanted it
Old 05-07-2019, 01:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by FirebirdSS
This is my system, vent line goes to the valve cover. My pump only spits out out even with twin turbo, oil isn't airiated to anything I would worry about.

so the vent line just runs up to the valve cover? nothing to atmosphere ? your setup looks legit. do you have more photos?

Quick Reply: Scavenger pump question