Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

n/a vs. fi comparison

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 03:51 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default n/a vs. fi comparison

For those who have had both....please share thoughts and preference on useable power, powerband difference, reliability/maintenance, ect.
Old 04-13-2015, 03:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

That's a really broad question lol. I guess I'd first ask how much power would you like to make and how much are you willing to spend?
Old 04-13-2015, 03:55 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
That's a really broad question lol. I guess I'd first ask how much power would you like to make and how much are you willing to spend?
Bingo
Old 04-13-2015, 04:18 PM
Staging Lane

I was dead set on h/c/i due to wanting to keep the car siple, light and without added heat. I new that more than 500whp would be tough with any drivabillity on a Stock cubed ls2. I made the mistake of riding in a boosted c5 z06 with 650whp. .....car is a beast and i now have set my sights on more hp. However, i do not dragrace and my car is strictly a street car. so my question i guess is which powerband is really more usable on the street? I know a 500whp vette with the driver mod can be pretty lethal. But drivabillity is of great importance to me......

* i recently bought an A&A v2 Ti-trim blower w/ alky meth system * just wanting to make my mind up before i install

Last edited by c u in rearveiw; 04-13-2015 at 04:23 PM.
Old 04-13-2015, 04:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Well a turbo or twin screw type blower will make a nice broad powerband, but so will a good stoker setup. Of course adding things like gears, stall, etc...will greatly enhance the powerband as well. IMO a good twin screw style blower is hard to beat though
Old 04-13-2015, 04:32 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
Well a turbo or twin screw type blower will make a nice broad powerband, but so will a good stoker setup. Of course adding things like gears, stall, etc...will greatly enhance the powerband as well. IMO a good twin screw style blower is hard to beat though
I was looking at the magnasun heartbeat, but i would need to swap out to an ls3 top end
Old 04-13-2015, 04:35 PM
Staging Lane

Car is a 6 speed manual, 3:42 gears
Old 04-13-2015, 05:43 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by c u in rearveiw
But drivabillity is of great importance to me......

Exactly what are your perceptions of a drivable car ?

For you, what would make it not drivable or difficult to drive ?
Old 04-13-2015, 05:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So you're say you wanna be "Fenix Fast"?
Old 04-13-2015, 05:50 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

My corvette at 780whp is way more tame than the trans am ever was at 640.
Old 04-13-2015, 05:53 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Exactly what are your perceptions of a drivable car ?

For you, what would make it not drivable or difficult to drive ?
Well let me state what i dont want...soggy bottom end, surging, excessive shaking at idle, very aggressive lope. I am running the z06 bi-mode exhaust now, so i can combat the lope a good bit.

I'm really wanting to know if there is a significant difference in power bands between the two setups. ..and if more than 500whp is even usable on the street (non street racing)
Old 04-13-2015, 06:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Well let me state what i dont want...soggy bottom end, surging, excessive shaking at idle, very aggressive lope. I am running the z06 bi-mode exhaust now, so i can combat the lope a good bit.

I'm really wanting to know if there is a significant difference in power bands between the two setups. ..and if more than 500whp is even usable on the street (non street racing)
There is no comparison, I would never return the car to N/A Ever... The power band is bigger all across the board. Speaking of power bands my car hits 500tq at 3,800 rpms, alot of N/A street driven cars don't do that. Also I'm a touch over 600hp with 315 Nittos out back and I have no problems "using" it on the street. My car is 99% street car. Keep the compression up and a mild cam in it, add some boost you'll never look back.
Old 04-13-2015, 06:04 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

You'd need to build a really really shitty setup these days to exhibit any of those issues, in fact I'd say it would almost be difficult to do !

500whp could be perfectly usable, or not at all.

A lot will depend on what car you have, how you intend to drive it, what tyres you are using, suspension setup, transmission, how competent you are at driving yourself etc

There are a lot of variables either way. But I'd think most here would consider 500whp fairly tame by any standards.

And again, even with the many forms for forced induction there are or can be significant differences in power bands.

You can only get vague answers when the questions are covering such a broad range.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:00 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by conan
There is no comparison, I would never return the car to N/A Ever... The power band is bigger all across the board. Speaking of power bands my car hits 500tq at 3,800 rpms, alot of N/A street driven cars don't do that. Also I'm a touch over 600hp with 315 Nittos out back and I have no problems "using" it on the street. My car is 99% street car. Keep the compression up and a mild cam in it, add some boost you'll never look back.
What fi setup are you running? Engine?
Old 04-13-2015, 07:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Ls1 block, Forged 383ci, 9.92:1 compression, ported 317 heads, ,mild cam, D1 Procharger making 8#'s of boost. I still have 10,000 rpm left in my blower before the D1 is maxed out. Car has a nice snappy throttle out of boost when driving around town and comes to life real quick when the boost comes on. My car is mild by these days FI standards. The only thing forced induction will leave you wanting is more boost I'm looking forward to maxing out my D1 soon. Do some searching turbo VS supercharging make up your mind what meets your goals. Either way the bug will bite you and bring a smile to your face every time you hit WOT.

Last edited by conan; 04-14-2015 at 08:03 AM.
Old 04-13-2015, 10:49 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Really shitty setup or a really shitty tuner lol.

Boost is where it's at.
Old 04-14-2015, 05:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Power differences are obvious. When I was deciding what to do I went turbo because trying to make similar power na is pricey(and in some cases impossible) and imo far less streetable then a turbo or blower. Plus if you get bored you can just turn up the boost. As far as reliability im sure that depends mainly on the quality of the parts used, and how its built/tuned.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

what do you want most out of the car?

I like the twin turbo for the easy control of the torq and where it hits

with modern traction control and boost by gear or speed I think you can have a nice drivable 1k hp at the tire and have it hold up pretty well with a beefy enough drive train

beyond that, I think a back half car will be needed to hook it with the requisite chassis mods

NA is much better for a track rat, on the street and drag strip, it's hard to compete with FI unless you go BB or nitrous

you can make any car fast, just depends on budget and your skills

good luck on your choice
Old 04-14-2015, 09:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should look at all that goes into doing boost the right way. Your gonna have to spend good money on a fuel system and tuning a boosted car is much more difficult to get reliable. Then after that you'll have to deal with boost leaks and/or belt slippage or tension issues if you go SC instead of turbo. And on top of that if you go SC you'll have to make alot more power and put alot more fuel to make to same hp as a good n/a car. Remember, a 600whp SC car is going to be slower than a 600whp n/a car and the SC car has more strain on it. Only free power way is turbo and they are even more of a pain. Constant heat issues with turbo cars especially if you put them in the bay. Boost makes more power for sure, but its got its drawbacks as well. Its up to you to decide what your willing to give vs what you will get in return. Good luck OP
Old 04-14-2015, 01:11 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My car has been big cam high compression N/A, and then did the nitrous thing for awhile. Made 500rwhp n/a and around 700 on the jug. Now I've got twin 61's and I'm never going back! For me the kicker is the car is soooooo much more tame and easier to drive now, and I can dial in how much power I want without even getting my fat *** out of the car.

Quick Reply: n/a vs. fi comparison