Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

FMIC vs twin side mount inter coolers in parallel

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 02:49 PM
Launching!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Default FMIC vs twin side mount inter coolers in parallel

I know it may sound strange, but bare with me please.

I'm running a turbo 370ci LQ4/LS3 head combo in a 1991 Nissan 240sx (build thread - https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...6-lq4-t56.html) that's currently making 600+ whp at 8psi

I've been battling cooling issues off and on for a while now, and now that temps are getting 90-100+ consistently here in Texas, i think i need to rework my setup.

i currently have a decent sized front mount intercooler (24x13x3) that is blocking a lot of air flow to the radiator, and probably isnt' that efficient to be honest....ebay special. I've added ducting between the IC and radiator as well as cutting a large hole in my bumper (spare bumper for testing) and it helps, but is not working too well in the summer. I'm not a big fan of the cut bumper look.

I'm thinking of ditching the FMIC and adding 2 side mount IC's but running them in parallel. THis would provide teh radiator with direct unobstructed airflow. I have decent sized openings in the bumper just below the headlights to fit 11x11x3 cores on both sides (ala 90-96 300zxTT), but running a pipe between the IC's to keep this as one circuit:
essentially Turbo > passenger side IC > crossover pipe > driver side IC > piping to throttle body.

I'm sure there will be some pressure loss going about it this way, but i think it would be worthy sacrifice to help keep cooling in check.

I guess this would be pretty similar to the Fbody Procharger setups with twin coolers feeding a single blower to a single plenum before the throttle body.

I'd look to get a pair of cores from Treadstone, Garrett, etc and fab my own endtanks to get the right orientation i need.

I'm just looking for opinions to see if you guys think if I should even go down this road or not.

Any and all feedback is welcome.

Avery
Old 07-24-2015, 03:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

I don't see a problem with it. Sure, you might have a little pressure loss, but you can adjust for that to still get 8psi at the intake.

If it's possible, I'd tig the crossover pipe to the cores. You would have to install it as one unit, but you won't have to worry about leakage.

And I'd put 10" puller fans on both cores, wired to a Hobbs switch for half your desired boost.
Old 07-24-2015, 04:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Why not pick up a set of the procharger twin 4.5" intercoolers for cheap. They should do just fine with only 8#
Old 07-24-2015, 09:49 PM
Launching!

I started looking at the procharger twin coolers but couldn't find much on their ratings and dimensions.

I'm only at 8lbs for now, shooting for 15 and 700whp
Old 07-24-2015, 10:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've been down this road.
Try
Mr2
300zx
And even starion and Porsche type intercoolers.
The twin aftermarket greddy type 300zx ended up working for my deal.made more hp.about a psi less and coolant temps magically got more tolerable.
Ic were parallel
Like this

L---🎫----🎫---J

The L and the J are the 90• bends just in case can't figure out this nifty diagram 😃
Old 07-24-2015, 10:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yes. Parallel intercoolers work well.
Actually Iirc the term "intercooler" is actually based off parallel plumbed heat exchangers/coolers.
Old 07-25-2015, 03:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think you are talking about mounting the intercoolers in series not parallel. Parallel intercooler would be like APS or Procharger did for the C5s. This would reduce the pressure drop while maintaining the same core area / volume.
Old 07-25-2015, 04:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yup. That's what I meant in series. One fed the other. But there was a space opened where there was s core there before. The Ic got located in the fender well areas. Per side. Eliminated the huge fmic
Old 07-25-2015, 05:07 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

https://www.procharger.com/blog/proc...s-road-courses

The C5 shown in the above link worked out well with the ProCharger twin intercoolers. We ran between 14 to 16 psi of boost on a road course with this car, using methanol injection to help out the inlet air temps. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 07-25-2015, 06:52 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OEMs do it in turbo diesel Porsch Cayanne and Audi Q7. Pretty interesting setup.
Old 07-25-2015, 07:20 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by chuntington101
I think you are talking about mounting the intercoolers in series not parallel. Parallel intercooler would be like APS or Procharger did for the C5s. This would reduce the pressure drop while maintaining the same core area / volume.
You're exactly right. I was thinking about this last night and didn't sound right.

Quick Reply: FMIC vs twin side mount inter coolers in parallel