Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

rings for forced induction

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 11:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default rings for forced induction

so i bought a set of cpcarillo bullet pistons for my 403 procharged build. going to be a f1-a seeing around 18lbs max boost.

they came with a set of standard with 1.5mm x 1.5mm x 3.0mm ring pack that consists of High-grade Steel Gas Nitirded barrel faced tops with Taper Hook Groove Napier second rings and a 3-piece soft nitrided rail flex vent oils, specially designed for severe duty applications such as nitorous blowers and turbo engine.

should i use these? i have always loved total seal rings. on my last build they were great. should i sell these and get total seal or keep em??
Old 10-28-2015, 09:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The ring package that comes with those pistons are the reason I am going with those pistons for my LSA build. They are perfect for forced induction. The rings from most piston kits are not made by the piston manufacturer for the most part but by the small handful of piston ring manufacturers like Total Seal or others. You would be taking a loss and spending quite a bit extra to get a very similar if not the same rings.
Old 10-28-2015, 09:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 148 Likes on 96 Posts

A set of Total Seals is around $300 also!
Old 10-29-2015, 07:31 AM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

Make sure you get the pistons intended for boost.

They dont tell you, the sales spiel doesnt tell you, and simply choosing the correct dish for your application doesnt get it right. But most of the CP Bullet pistons are n/a pistons with the top ring land sitting very high, close to the crown.

I've 8 nice shiny paper weights here though
Old 10-29-2015, 10:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Alright so i will end up keeping the rings. Thanks guys!
Old 10-29-2015, 10:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Make sure you get the pistons intended for boost.

They dont tell you, the sales spiel doesnt tell you, and simply choosing the correct dish for your application doesnt get it right. But most of the CP Bullet pistons are n/a pistons with the top ring land sitting very high, close to the crown.

I've 8 nice shiny paper weights here though
Already have the pistons. The part number is bls-1126005-8. How do i tell if these are meant for some boost? When i talked to cp they said these were great.
Old 10-29-2015, 11:23 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by SStressin
Already have the pistons. The part number is bls-1126005-8. How do i tell if these are meant for some boost? When i talked to cp they said these were great.
How far down is the top ring from the crown ?

When I asked...after I already bought a set that would meet my CR needs....they said they only had one set of pistons intended for boost. Although these would have dropped mine to near 8.0:1 which would be far too low.
Unless their range has expanded since then.

They were zero help when I contacted them about it too, maybe they have improved the sales BS used when they advertise pistons now so customers can actually make a proper decision.

If you spoke to them before buying, then I'd hope yours are indeed correct though
Old 10-30-2015, 01:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
How far down is the top ring from the crown ?

When I asked...after I already bought a set that would meet my CR needs....they said they only had one set of pistons intended for boost. Although these would have dropped mine to near 8.0:1 which would be far too low.
Unless their range has expanded since then.

They were zero help when I contacted them about it too, maybe they have improved the sales BS used when they advertise pistons now so customers can actually make a proper decision.

If you spoke to them before buying, then I'd hope yours are indeed correct though
just ran out to measure them top of piston to top of ringland is a hair over 3/16 of an inch

Last edited by SStressin; 10-30-2015 at 01:36 PM.
Old 10-30-2015, 02:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If having the ring closer to the crown is a concern because of heat butting ring together, just run alot more ring gap and keep an eye on the chamber temps. Dont run it too hot. Watch egt. Keep it rich and timing lower to start and creep up on the tune.

Having a larger ring gap than necessary wont hurt power much but too narrow and butting up will cost you an engine. Have another talk to them about this. 3/16 inch seems really high up for a top ring tho
Old 10-30-2015, 03:00 PM
9 Second Club

The CP Bullet's I bought that would give me 9.0:1 CR have 4.3mm from top ring to crown

When you compare this to my old JE's or Wiseco's, it's wayy smaller. JE was around 6.8mm, and Wiseco a little over 7mm

Your 3/16 is around 4.7mm, still on the small side.

CP Bullet on the left that I bought for my 403 with 4" stroke a few years ago that are now paperweights.

Bullet, JE, Wiseco
Attached Thumbnails rings for forced induction-imag0814-medium-.jpg  
Old 10-30-2015, 03:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

How many pounds of boost did you break them? I got them threw summit so i can probably return them
Old 10-30-2015, 05:51 PM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was just talking to CP the other day about pistons, and the guy i spoke to had a different piston with the top ring further from the top. He told me about them after i mentioned about running boost, so you might call CP directly and talk to someone there about what part number you need to get the right pistons.
Old 10-30-2015, 06:23 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by SStressin
How many pounds of boost did you break them? I got them threw summit so i can probably return them
I didnt break them, I never used them, they're brand new and of no use to me.

Quick Reply: rings for forced induction