Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

turbo size

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 03:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default turbo size

I know this question will get the usual too many variables thing but I have to ask

and before I get shot down keep in mind I race a 1600hp cummins diesel making 85 lbs of boost and won the pro-street championship up here in 2014, and I used to run a 341 hp Turbo 2.2l chrysler Lebaron, so I am not a noob to turbocharging to make power

What is the best all around turbo size for twins on the street for best all around performance.
I know some will say small some will say large - but I am talking about lag time to boost and such for smooth power.

For example the wish list on my 67 Beaumont (Canadian Chevelle) with my soon to be twin turbo 6l 4l80e would be for low tens to high nines, and still be very decent on the bottom end for streetability

I have read that power is possible on everything from 58mm all the way up to 76mm turbos

but no one talks about streetability/manners - sure I could bolt on a pair of 78 or so mm turbos to guarantee the power but you most likely would never spool them on the street

the other thing I can not seem to nail down is what is a good stall speed for the convertor to help things along - read lots that a stall convertor is installed but not any stall speeds for street playing

this will be listed as a build in the next couple weeks once I have a shopping list for parts

I just bought the car, have the 6l/4l80e, tires , rims, rear axle 8.8 ford 4:11s - mounts are ordered, corvette manifolds bought, cooling mist meth injection bought, 80# injectors, huge aeromotive fuel pump, etc etc

also looking for reasonably priced BOV and wastegates - but cant find what the perfered sizes are, ie 38mm 44mm 50mm 60mm etc so that would be more useful info

any help here for a baseline recipe for turbo , wastegate and bov sizes would be much appreciated

thanks in advance
Ken

Old 11-24-2015, 03:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...-inside-3.html This 6.0 did well with turbonetics 6165's. I'd talk with Yank about a converter for the 4l80, and probably lose the 4.10's.
Old 11-25-2015, 08:50 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

which truck is yours?

Garrett
Old 11-25-2015, 09:31 AM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

Twin 62mm turbos with similar sized turbines would work very well on the street.

Go with a fairly small turbo that will still hit your goals. You don't need 2000 HP worth of turbo for high 9s. A single 76mm could get you 9s easily.

Quick Reply: turbo size