Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Project Thunderturd - A Sloppy Inspired Creation

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 07:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I couldn't find an adapter that had a restrictor for the turbo oil feed that fit the oil pan. The stuff I had ordered was too short, so I decided to make my own from the factory bypass. I just drilled a 0.035" hole in the bypass and made some 1/8" NPT threads in the factory piece.

Name:  IMAG0286_zpslbg1sivu.jpg
Views: 813
Size:  78.0 KB

Also, the fuel injector fairy came to visit. Siemens Deka 80 lb.

Name:  IMAG0287_zps192kpqzc.jpg
Views: 815
Size:  167.0 KB
Old 02-11-2016, 12:17 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

YOu will be totally find with the dp and turbo being close to the radiator and rack. My turbo is like 1/8 max from radiator fans, same with my hot side to rack boot. Been running fine for 20k miles with a turbo blanket and the regular heat wrap on the hot side.
Old 02-11-2016, 05:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SPRAYED 01
YOu will be totally find with the dp and turbo being close to the radiator and rack. My turbo is like 1/8 max from radiator fans, same with my hot side to rack boot. Been running fine for 20k miles with a turbo blanket and the regular heat wrap on the hot side.
Thanks for the info! It helps ease my mind, especially knowing how many miles you've had it like that.

3 day weekend coming up so there should be a hotside nearly done I hope.
Old 02-11-2016, 11:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Black89Z51
Thanks for the info! It helps ease my mind, especially knowing how many miles you've had it like that.

3 day weekend coming up so there should be a hotside nearly done I hope.
No problem. Only thing with the rack boot is the factory rack boot holds up a lot better to heat than an aftermarket replacement. I learned this because I had to replace one of my boots before the turbo stuff and I used an autozone special.

When I put the turbo kit on it melted. I compared it to the the other side factory one and it was a lot softer and weaker. Went to the dealer bought a factory one, wrapped the hot side and its been good to go for about 6 years and 20k miles, 150 track passes,1 million highway blasts at 20psi haha.

Alex
Old 02-12-2016, 07:58 AM

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

nice! i like all the progress
Old 02-12-2016, 08:10 AM
On The Tree

[QUOTE=Black89Z51;19109167]So not much to update really. Been working disgusting hours lately at work.

LS1 Intake fits great and it will fit below the hood. I can't believe how much lower this intake sits. Thanks to member EarlyZ28! For the intake!

Awesome man! Glad your happy with the intake.. Awesome to see a lil bit of nightmaro in someone else's car!
Old 02-12-2016, 11:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by denmah
nice! i like all the progress
Thanks man! You've inspired most of this, and your posts here and your wiki are really what allows most of this to happen. This should be a busy weekend. I'm hoping to get the trans in and the hotside mostly complete.

[QUOTE=EarlyZ28!;19145696]
So not much to update really. Been working disgusting hours lately at work.

LS1 Intake fits great and it will fit below the hood. I can't believe how much lower this intake sits. Thanks to member EarlyZ28! For the intake!

Awesome man! Glad your happy with the intake.. Awesome to see a lil bit of nightmaro in someone else's car!
Thanks again! The intake worked out perfect.
Old 02-12-2016, 01:25 PM
On The Tree

No problem bud! Ready to c a video of it haulin ace!
Old 02-16-2016, 03:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

So I managed to start working on the transmission bits. Got the Circle D torque converter installed. Went in without a hitch. The only bitch I have about it is that it's too pretty to be put in such an obscure location.

Name:  IMAG0290_zpswr8tuf9o.jpg
Views: 807
Size:  167.4 KB

For the crossmemeber, I decided to widen the holes up a bit on the factory piece just to see what it looked like. Believe it or not, it's literally the same height as the factory, just moved back approximately 10-12".

Name:  IMAG0292_zpsdqiriajn.jpg
Views: 799
Size:  189.0 KB

Instead of trying to cut out and re-weld the factory pieces, I decided to make my own using the factory design more or less. I had to modify it a bit to fit the underside, and it still needs some tweaks, but this is what I came up with for the drivers side.

Name:  IMAG0293_zpspbedgu6g.jpg
Views: 808
Size:  182.8 KB

Name:  IMAG0294_zpspvnr2txv.jpg
Views: 812
Size:  186.4 KB

And in it's end location.

Name:  VZM.IMG_20160214_174638_zpsfdgdi7kh.jpg
Views: 819
Size:  65.8 KB

I have fabbed up the passenger side, just haven't taken pictures yet. I've got a sick little person so there won't be much work done today, but I should have the mounts welded in place and the trans jack removed by the end of the week. Then time to start the hot side.
Old 02-20-2016, 07:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Decent amount of progress lately. Transmission x member is finally in and done.

Name:  IMAG0305_zpsuxt7s4mt.jpg
Views: 811
Size:  198.0 KB

Name:  IMAG0306_zpse90u2mp7.jpg
Size:  210.8 KB

Name:  IMAG0307_zps4tz8nsmd.jpg
Views: 818
Size:  188.8 KB

eBay fuel rails are installed.

Name:  IMAG0312_zpsd5rujttk.jpg
Views: 805
Size:  195.0 KB

Here is the merge to the turbo. I'm using 2.25" pipe for the up pipes.

Name:  IMAG0303_zpseghup6on.jpg
Views: 814
Size:  141.5 KB

Driver's side pipe to the merge.

Name:  IMAG0304_zps6w15rxql.jpg
Views: 816
Size:  147.1 KB

From the manifold.

Name:  IMAG0301_zpsnmobb9hu.jpg
Views: 816
Size:  155.6 KB

Name:  IMAG0302_zps8bqpf8ey.jpg
Views: 790
Size:  120.4 KB

Here's the turbo sitting on its flange. I also started making the down pipe.

Name:  IMAG0311_zpsj7im8edh.jpg
Views: 802
Size:  213.5 KB

So far so good. Tomorrow I hope to get the passenger up pipe mostly run. I'm still waiting on some v-bands to come in so that I can remove that side if needed relatively easily. They should be in on monday though.
Old 03-09-2016, 06:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Finally got some time to work on the car today. Focused on getting the accelerator pedal where it should be. Took out the old one and test fitted the new one. Since the Tahoe I removed the pedal from had the adjustable pedals, I had to cut and weld the pedal arm because it was massive. Also I had to make a couple bends to clear the trans tunnel so that the pedal didn't get caught on the carpet.

Welded up.

Name:  IMAG0342_zpsjyc9971s.jpg
Views: 784
Size:  198.4 KB

Enlarged the hole for the stud and it bolted right in. Looks almost factory.

Name:  IMAG0343_zpsllhkmndn.jpg
Views: 786
Size:  113.5 KB

Looks pretty good in there.

Name:  IMAG0344_zpslulxbwci.jpg
Views: 785
Size:  206.2 KB

Been tackling the drivers' exhaust manifold where it was hitting the U-joint on the steering shaft and have that figured out I think. Going to work on that some more tomorrow and then (hopefully) start on the passenger up pipe.

Also, a few questions.

My question regards the MAF and the PCM placement. Should I move the PCM to the passenger compartment? The reason I ask is that I have to extend a LOT of wires if so. If that's the best path, I have no problem doing it, but if it's not necessary then I'd like to avoid doing that much work for almost nothing. If I need to extend, is 18 ga TXL wire equivalent to factory? (I'll be soldering and shrink wrapping the wires together if I go this route. Also, if extending, I would just cut the wire in the middle somewhere and just use black so that the appropriate colors are at the PCM and the connector to avoid buying 30 different rolls of wire.)

Regarding the MAF, since this engine (L59) came with both a MAP and a MAF, would it be alright to just remove the MAF pinouts since I will be using MAP for the FI build? Also I will be disabling the O2 sensors and using HP tuners for a VE tune only, so I don't see why I should leave those in the harness either.

Just a few questions, hopefully this clears things up for me. Thanks in advance!
Old 03-09-2016, 07:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts

Finally got some time to work on the car today. Focused on getting the accelerator pedal where it should be. Took out the old one and test fitted the new one. Since the Tahoe I removed the pedal from had the adjustable pedals, I had to cut and weld the pedal arm because it was massive. Also I had to make a couple bends to clear the trans tunnel so that the pedal didn't get caught on the carpet.

Welded up.

Enlarged the hole for the stud and it bolted right in. Looks almost factory.

Looks pretty good in there.

Been tackling the drivers' exhaust manifold where it was hitting the U-joint on the steering shaft and have that figured out I think. Going to work on that some more tomorrow and then (hopefully) start on the passenger up pipe.

Also, a few questions.

My question regards the MAF and the PCM placement. Should I move the PCM to the passenger compartment? The reason I ask is that I have to extend a LOT of wires if so. If that's the best path, I have no problem doing it, but if it's not necessary then I'd like to avoid doing that much work for almost nothing. If I need to extend, is 18 ga TXL wire equivalent to factory? (I'll be soldering and shrink wrapping the wires together if I go this route. Also, if extending, I would just cut the wire in the middle somewhere and just use black so that the appropriate colors are at the PCM and the connector to avoid buying 30 different rolls of wire.)

Regarding the MAF, since this engine (L59) came with both a MAP and a MAF, would it be alright to just remove the MAF pinouts since I will be using MAP for the FI build? Also I will be disabling the O2 sensors and using HP tuners for a VE tune only, so I don't see why I should leave those in the harness either.

Just a few questions, hopefully this clears things up for me. Thanks in advance!

The PCM in most applications for the LS series esp in trucks has it located in the engine bay (the 5.3 I got had it mounted behind the driver headlight in the engine bay). They are weather resistant for a reason lol. They are fine in the engine bay but I wouldn't mount it right over or next to a header ya know. Most OEM almost now always mount the ECM in the engine bay, including my ram, wife's jeep, brothers Denali, mom and sis Ford Fusion and even a 2003 Saturn ion lol.

I just mounted my 5.3 PCM and finished my harness last night. I mounted the ECM on the pass firewall by the fender. To do this was a PITA as the PCMs are not that small lol in the gen 3 0411's. The newer gen 5 PCMs are more powerful yet smaller. The PITA part was the ECM was mounted originally front pass side, I wanted it on the rear pass side for a cleaner look without the PCM just sticking out in plain site. I had to cut all the wires and shorten them while keeping it all on the right side with the ECM being flipped. Mounting it inside the car like you would require ALOT of extra wire being added and I didn't see the need since it was mounted under the hood originally. I would have not done that with the original TPI ECM which was mounted behind the passenger dash as that thing was not weather resistant. So I would not go through the hassle of relocating it inside unless cosmetically it's what you want.

I'm in the same boat with u on the tuning. Originally a MAF PCM and I'm going SD. I removed the MAF wiring back far enough to coil harness but left it pinned. You never know if you'll need it. But it will be unused. You need to keep 2 of the 5 wires for the IAT sensor, MAFs have them built into the MAF itself hence the 5 wires. You need to isolate the 2. (IAT signal and ground) and order a replacement of your choice with pigtail. I went with FAST bc it was cheap and a PiCo pigtail. Mine is mounted in the EGR block off plate. Your PCM will need a new 2 or 3 bar OP system so you won't be able to run the MAF anyways so get ready to spend the credits. Don't forget to get a matchin MAP sensor for whatever OP system you choose.

I would leave the rear 02s in as they will only help with your part throttle economy and running.
Old 03-13-2016, 10:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Had a huge day Saturday. Finally fixed the manifold/steering shaft interference problem. I ended up cutting the manifold up and clocking the primary about 5 degrees clockwise, tacked it in place and it didn't hit. i welded it up (inside and outside) and used another section of cast from the passenger manifold that was removed from the donor. Turned out pretty good I think.

Name:  IMAG0346_zpscvjhsihx.jpg
Views: 784
Size:  165.9 KB

Name:  IMAG0350_zpsravcbp3t.jpg
Views: 783
Size:  115.2 KB

Played around with intercooler placement. Had to hack at the headlight buckets with the sawzall to raise the IC a bit, but it works and I'll be happy with where it can go. All that's left to do is make the mounts.

Name:  IMAG0347_zps7e4njtmd.jpg
Views: 796
Size:  161.8 KB

Name:  IMAG0348_zpscdxsn16n.jpg
Views: 785
Size:  158.4 KB

Name:  IMAG0349_zpsaxih1gag.jpg
Views: 833
Size:  158.1 KB

I have been procrastinating on the down pipe and up pipe from the passenger side because I figured they were going to be a bitch, but it ended up taking a lot less time and fabrication that initially thought. I still need to get the wastegate plumbed, but that should be pretty easy.

Here's the down pipe from the turbo across.

Name:  IMAG0351_zpsfiknkvcy.jpg
Views: 794
Size:  149.1 KB

And here's where it gets "complicated". Through the suspension.

Name:  IMAG0354_zpsrck000uv.jpg
Size:  144.2 KB

You can see where it goes behind the spring, through the K member and where my welder ground is attached is right by the starter. Ended up only using two 45 degree bends. A whole lot simpler than I initially thought. I figured I was going to have to pie cut the **** out of some U bends.

Name:  IMAG0355_zpsyeb2worz.jpg
Views: 795
Size:  181.2 KB

Here's the merge up to the turbo. V band is on the pipe from the passenger side.

Name:  IMAG0357_zpso4qoiulp.jpg
Views: 802
Size:  127.8 KB

Name:  IMAG0353_zpsgez2egnj.jpg
Views: 795
Size:  136.3 KB

Above you can see where it comes down and around the sway bar.

Today I'm going to start tackling the wiring monster. I have already changed over the injector connectors to fit my injectors, which was pretty easy. just need to straighten out and tidy up this mess. I also picked up a Current Performance fuse/relay swap harness. That is definitely going to make things a lot easier.

Name:  IMAG0345_zpskodzus83.jpg
Views: 799
Size:  230.7 KB
Old 03-13-2016, 11:41 AM
9 Second Club

Nice job modifying the stock exhaust manifold for clearance.
Old 03-13-2016, 09:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 117 Likes on 98 Posts

Very creative exhaust manifold solution!
Old 03-14-2016, 07:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Guard dog
Nice job modifying the stock exhaust manifold for clearance.
Originally Posted by Bad Apache
Very creative exhaust manifold solution!
Thanks guys! It took a little bit of thought, but eventually I just said "screw it" and cut it. Bolted it back up and clocked it a bit and tried the wheel and it didn't hit so I welded it up and then made the transition pieces.
Old 03-22-2016, 06:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

So work has been pretty slow. Had to go out of town for a funeral so no work done this past weekend. Got back out there today and took the exhaust apart and worked on welding everything up. They certainly don't qualify as weld ****, but they work.

Before

Name:  IMAG0402_zpsg0ab7n8w.jpg
Views: 798
Size:  212.4 KB

After. Also added the bung for the wideband.

Name:  IMAG0403_zpscljjvodl.jpg
Views: 794
Size:  220.4 KB

I also had a driveshaft made while I was out of town. 1350 front u-joint and a 1350/1310 rear. I may end up switching the rear flange to use a full 1350 u-joint, but we'll see how this one holds up.

Name:  IMAG0401_zpsfzgnbf4n.jpg
Views: 793
Size:  199.5 KB
Old 03-26-2016, 10:29 PM
Staging Lane

Sub'd
Old 04-04-2016, 10:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Wiring is the bane of my existence. There are a bunch of wires that I still need to figure out whether they stay or go, but it's getting closer. Instead of shortening a metric **** pile of wires, I'm just going to loop and zip tie them.

Name:  IMAG0430_zpsxsds2rwv.jpg
Views: 797
Size:  255.6 KB

Also got frisky and made the turbo oil return. The only thing left on the hot side is wrapping it and then I can bolt it in for the last time. The picture makes it look close to the up pipe, but it's actually 6-8 inches away.

Name:  IMAG0434_zpsg3w45x4o.jpg
Views: 790
Size:  158.1 KB
Old 04-05-2016, 08:08 PM
On The Tree

Honestls what I did was go through the connector pinouts from Lt1swap, chop off/de-pin what I didn't need and the removed it from harness

Quick Reply: Project Thunderturd - A Sloppy Inspired Creation