Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

BW turbos....China?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 10:25 AM
Turbo Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default BW turbos....China?

Looking into some BW turbos for my build, specifically some s200's but I noticed BW has two plants in China and one in Mexico I believe. Just wondering if these are made in China or the USA?
Old 01-02-2016, 10:30 AM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

Lol. Not going to use them if they turn out to be made in China?
Old 01-02-2016, 10:34 AM
Turbo Addict

Ha, no...I would just buy some cheaper China turbos that aren't so physically huge
Old 01-02-2016, 11:19 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by RICE ETR
Ha, no...I would just buy some cheaper China turbos that aren't so physically huge

I don't understand the logic. Regardless of where they are made, they are some of the most reliable and best power producing turbos out there. You shouldn't think in terms of big China turbo or little China turbo, but Borg Warner turbo or little China turbo.

But no, they aren't made in China. Borg makes their dual clutch transmissions at their China plant.
Old 01-02-2016, 11:34 AM
Turbo Addict

These are what made me question where they were built

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/borgwarner-builds-5-millionth-turbocharger-in-china-300042014.html

http://www.turbos.bwauto.com/company/locationsAsia.aspx
Old 01-02-2016, 12:57 PM
Changing Names

Originally Posted by JoeNova
I don't understand the logic. Regardless of where they are made, they are some of the most reliable and best power producing turbos out there. You shouldn't think in terms of big China turbo or little China turbo, but Borg Warner turbo or little China turbo.

But no, they aren't made in China. Borg makes their dual clutch transmissions at their China plant.
Theres info out there stating made in china

Can also see the OPs point...why buy big name chinese when less name chinese is same...why spend money on chinese snap on when harbor frieght chinese is same quality
Old 01-02-2016, 02:15 PM
8 Second Club

Received 698 Likes on 439 Posts

So my S476 is now worth about $5......
Old 01-02-2016, 02:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RonSSNova
At Cost, maybe.
Old 01-02-2016, 02:57 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Name:  Chinese%20turbo%20hoodie_zpsshymga8p.jpg
Views: 713
Size:  37.2 KB

https://teespring.com/Chineseturbo?u...5819&sid=front

Precision turbos are cast in china too. Who cares?
Old 01-02-2016, 03:52 PM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by RonSSNova
I'll give ya $10 for it!
Old 01-02-2016, 04:10 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was wondering this myself because I can't find any info on my S475 or the box in came in. I get a warm and fuzzy feeling when I purchase a USA made product (that works) but I am not turned off by China stuff either. I was just curious as to where they are made. It seems the automotive turbo division has production facilities in Germany, UK, Brazil, Korea, Mexico, Hungary, and Poland. They obviously have a pretty good grasp of global QC.
Old 01-02-2016, 04:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by operatorfailure

https://teespring.com/Chineseturbo?u...5819&sid=front

Precision turbos are cast in china too. Who cares?
This made me giggle.

If you absolutely have to have a USA manufactured turbo - you're looking at a Bullseye unit.
Old 01-02-2016, 04:56 PM
TECH Regular

I ordered one of the hoodies, it cracked me up.
Old 01-02-2016, 07:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Old 01-02-2016, 08:03 PM
Restricted User

The company I work for supplies Borg warner Turbo with all of their cutting and machining fluids. We've never shipped to China for them. It's possible their mass quantity OEM stuff is made in China.
Old 01-03-2016, 07:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You are paying for their engineering, not from which country some employee pours aluminum into a mold
Old 01-03-2016, 03:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by ScreamingL
Theres info out there stating made in china

Can also see the OPs point...why buy big name chinese when less name chinese is same...why spend money on chinese snap on when harbor frieght chinese is same quality
well thats not quite accurate. HF is low export quality stuff. China has nice quality tools for their home market. I've seen it in my line of work. They don't sell it here because with tariffs and such they can't make the margin work.

But back to the OP...why does borg (among others) make this kinda stuff in china? a couple reasons. Expertise. Chinese industry has embraced the dirty jobs we "don't want" (aka don't want to be paid **** wages for hazardous and dirty foundry work)

Borg can also get the same quality parts for less money by sourcing those parts to china and india where labor (due to low cost of living) is much cheaper. Those saving don't really get passed on to you, but the shareholders of the corporation. Totally legal under today's trade rules, and not a dime of tariffs is paid.

The only people not getting shafted by these trade policies is the companies who pay our politicians to enact them.

Sick of jobs going overseas? Every buck is vote. Every vote for the status quo politicians is another buck in the corporate lobbying fund. Its a feedback loop.

ARRRGG get me off the politics train before my head explodes
Old 01-03-2016, 09:30 PM
TECH Regular

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by truckdoug
well thats not quite accurate. HF is low export quality stuff. China has nice quality tools for their home market. I've seen it in my line of work. They don't sell it here because with tariffs and such they can't make the margin work.

But back to the OP...why does borg (among others) make this kinda stuff in china? a couple reasons. Expertise. Chinese industry has embraced the dirty jobs we "don't want" (aka don't want to be paid **** wages for hazardous and dirty foundry work)

Borg can also get the same quality parts for less money by sourcing those parts to china and india where labor (due to low cost of living) is much cheaper. Those saving don't really get passed on to you, but the shareholders of the corporation. Totally legal under today's trade rules, and not a dime of tariffs is paid.

The only people not getting shafted by these trade policies is the companies who pay our politicians to enact them.

Sick of jobs going overseas? Every buck is vote. Every vote for the status quo politicians is another buck in the corporate lobbying fund. Its a feedback loop.

ARRRGG get me off the politics train before my head explodes
So Borg could make them in USA and sell them at same price but would not have profits to pass on to shareholders? So a company could make something and sell it here in USA and not have any profits to pass on to the owners of the company. Sounds like a sound business plan. I wonder why no one is doing it to take business away from BW?
Old 01-03-2016, 10:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by gsteele
So Borg could make them in USA and sell them at same price but would not have profits to pass on to shareholders? So a company could make something and sell it here in USA and not have any profits to pass on to the owners of the company. Sounds like a sound business plan. I wonder why no one is doing it to take business away from BW?
not zero profits, just less profits. a corporation simply is way to organize human labor. they are only responsible for putting a good return back into the investors hands. they are loyal to no flag or code of ethics. here is a good short read on labor and international trade.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_labor_arbitrage
Old 01-03-2016, 10:44 PM
TECH Regular

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by truckdoug
not zero profits, just less profits. a corporation simply is way to organize human labor. they are only responsible for putting a good return back into the investors hands. they are loyal to no flag or code of ethics. here is a good short read on labor and international trade.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_labor_arbitrage
I will stop this here. There are a lot of people in here that know your ideas are BS. Take them to a political forum. This is not the place to teach you basic economics.

Quick Reply: BW turbos....China?