Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

5.3 stroker

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 12:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3 stroker

I am considering building a turbo 362 stroker. I currently an running stock lq4 with bw s475 with 96 wheel. If I build a forged 362, ( 3.780 bore, 4.00 stroke, 317's) I could use all of my turbo and use my current turbo camshaft for the stroker. I haven't been able to find a lot of info on similar builds. Is there any problems for 4.00 stroke with the 3.78 bore in a turbo application?
Anyone with results with the 362 stroker?
Old 02-16-2016, 06:35 AM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

The biggest question here is why.

And stroke does lots of things to camshaft selection.
Old 02-16-2016, 07:39 AM
Staging Lane

My reason why was cost. By leaving 6.0 together, getting a cheaper 5.3 block. I didn't realize camshaft would change. Hoping to build a forged motor, just considering options.
Old 02-16-2016, 07:55 AM
TECH Resident

Received 197 Likes on 105 Posts

Look into the 5.3-based built short blocks that Scoggins-Dickey is selling.
Old 02-16-2016, 11:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

By my calculations, it would be a 359ci stroker. It is something I have thought a lot about. A lot of people have asked why, said it would be pointless and expensive, blah blah blah.

At the end of the day, do it. You will still have a six liter motor with forged guts, and thick cylinder sleeves (if you grab an aluminum block).

The stroker kits with the 6.125" rods give you a better rod ratio than the LS7, and the LS7 spins past 7k, so anyone who says the stroke will limit rpms can suck it.

I would opt for the $1100 west coast cylinder head stage 2 truck heads, personally. They flow ~300cfm, and they do so with a 1.95" intake valves, which should be relatively unshrouded in the small bore. But that's just me.

Yes, the cam should be changed, due to the different rod ratio and piston speed.

You don't see a lot of these builds because everyone seems to be concerned with displacement, and for some reason discredit and slander any use of a 4" crank that isn't 383ci or higher. You will catch a lot of flak about the small bore, blah blah blah. I have heard it all.

I say build it, man. It should be a fun little six liter. Torquey in all the right ways, and if you decide to go bigger in the future, you can reuse the crank and rods, just rebalance with new pistons.

If you are going to buy a 5.3 to use, use the 5.3 heads (with new springs) and intake, Vband the truck manifolds, and throw the stroker kit in it. The stroker kit is going to cost the same no matter what, so it doesn't count against this build whether it's 359ci or 400ci, since you specifically stated you want to build a forged motor.
Old 02-17-2016, 01:19 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Dude, I'm right there with you. Go for it. Even if you need to make a cam change in the future due to this being a weird set up, **** it. Do a cam change. Probably learn something from it. By the time the 3rd or 4th cam goes in, it'll be making power.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'm doing a very similar build

alum 5.3 block
lunati 4.0 stroke crank and rods
wiseco coated pistons
AFR 225 heads (a bit big, but the turbos should make it work)

looking to build a nice reliable twin turbo short block that will live at 900 at the tire on #85

I might splurge on the valves and go Inconel exh and get a better intake (lighter)

the small valves won't really hurt that much with boost and the durability should be pretty good which is what I'm after

going with the t3 TTix setup I already have so big strokers with big displacement might not work all that well due to the turbo sizes and I'm not really wanting to replace them as they are good up to and past 1k hp.

wish I could afford to go 6 bolt, but that's way out of the budget relm and probably not needed for a fun little street sweeper tiger shark c5
Old 02-17-2016, 08:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

another thing to consider is the little mod motor ford with the small bore

one of the winning motors had a little 3.7 bore and 4.25 stroke

everyone thought it would be lousy being so "over square" and it ran away with the competition in the Engine Masters

John Kaase I think built it and it was a very interesting article about what "should" and what "does" work.

the small bore large stroke combo is generally not considered ideal, but for a strong street motor I think it will do just dandy.
Old 02-17-2016, 01:05 PM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

Sure it will "work". I wouldn't do it.

The LS block isn't designed for a 4" stroke. The piston hangs too far out of the cyl bore at BDC and there is excessive side loading. The block is the weak link and you'll be stressing the block more with added stroke.

IMO You're much better off revving the motor a little higher with a turbo setup. Factory bore/stroke with good set of heads and a cam will get more than most need/want. It will also easily exceed the OEM block strength.

What are your power/ET goals? Is this a drag setup?

Scuff marks indicate where the piston was hanging out of the bore on 6.0 with a 4" stroke. If you have and LSX block or sleeves, go for it. Personally I prefer my pistons in the bore on a stock block setup.

Last edited by Forcefed86; 02-17-2016 at 01:21 PM.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Its different but it will work. I have an oddball motor. I been wanting to put together for some time.
Ls3 block
Ls3 flat top pistons
Gen 4 4.8 crank and rods.
243 heads ported to 300cfm peak flow
Holley hi ram
Cometic gasket. Thinnest I can run.
Custom cam to rev to 7500-8000rpm
I think it will sound like an exotic motor. Ive always noticed 4.8 crank motors have a different sound from 3.622 n 4.0 stroke motors.

Quick Reply: 5.3 stroker