Twin Turbo LS Boat Engine

Old 03-14-2016, 05:58 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Which borgs huffa?
Old 03-15-2016, 01:43 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds stupid but don't really know. Jared quoted me the specs over the phone, went in one ear and out the other, just putting my trust in him to supply the right bits for the job as he has successfully set up a few marathon boats running turbos. People have all sorts of ideas, but I don't know much about the job so go with someone who has been there and done that. Will put up the details once I get them again. There is a bit more to this inj/turbo stuff than the dirty old blower and couple of carbs what I am use to, but will learn.
Old 03-19-2016, 12:58 PM
On The Tree

So I need to upgrade injectors on the 5.3 LM7 engine, are LS1 injectors the same and what I need to be looking at ? What flow rate should I be looking for, do I need to up spec the fuel rails and intake manifold or will the truck intake be fine with bigger injectors? The last thing I want to do in lean it, was thinking 160lb injectors?Thanks
Old 03-24-2016, 01:10 PM
TECH Regular

Intercooled with 98 octane gas, you should easily be able to run 20psi without detonation on a good tune. Upgraded pistons, rods, and maybe crank wouldn't be a bad idea. Unless you'd rather look at the bottom end as disposable, which is my point of view. If it busts, it's pretty cost effective to replace. All I did to the bottom end was gap the rings to 0.028-0.030", new rod and main bearings (the ones in there were slightly scratched, otherwise I would have run the originals), and APR rod bolts. Springs, valve seals, ebay head studs, PAC springs, and an LS9 cam wraps up the long block. Lapped the valves.

What are the cam specs?
What ECU are you going to run?
What are the typical air and water temps on race day? Elevation?

This is the intercooler I purchased. Should be more than effective enough. Not sure about availability and price to you in NZ, but it's very reasonable here especially when comparing it to the High Ram w/integrated intercooler option.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Liquid-Water...9S14Ce&vxp=mtr

Here's a link for some injectors in AU, not sure if that helps in NZ...
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GENUINE-V...-/190538103113

Last edited by SethU; 03-24-2016 at 01:23 PM.
Old 03-24-2016, 01:39 PM
TECH Regular

Also, I thought most of the NZ guys ran axial flow jet pumps, Scott's 'n such. Was a little surprised to see a Berkeley on your boat. Do you know what cut impeller is in it?
Old 03-24-2016, 02:05 PM
On The Tree

Thanks heaps for that info. I have gone with a Comp cam 281LR HR13, 617/.624 lift split, a 231/239-degree duration split and 113-degree LSA. Not sure about temps on race day, water should be cold as normally coming from hill country/mountains down into the lower reaches of the rivers, elevation will be low. Running a Link ECU. The borg warners that are being put together are set up for maximum efficiency at 14psi. Found an identical cooler as yours over here for $500, you sure it will be capable of doing the job? Was advised by one guy over here to use a 3 stage cooler but others have said that's overkill and @ $2000 its blowing by budget a bit. Those injectors seem good value. So are the 5.3 and LS1 injectors the same or different?

Last edited by Huffa; 03-24-2016 at 02:37 PM.
Old 03-24-2016, 02:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SethU
Also, I thought most of the NZ guys ran axial flow jet pumps, Scott's 'n such. Was a little surprised to see a Berkeley on your boat. Do you know what cut impeller is in it?
Most recreational boats run Scott and Hamilton type axial flow units, there are a few that run Berkeleys, I do in my 17ft family boat as well, but all the marathon race type boats run American Turbine, Berkeley or similar. Mine is actually a Legend unit. Not sure on my impeller cut but guessing its big as it was running a 900hp big block before I got it.
Old 03-24-2016, 02:58 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Huffa
Thanks heaps for that info. I have gone with a Comp cam 281LR HR13, 617/.624 lift split, a 231/239-degree duration split and 113-degree LSA. Not sure about temps on race day, water should be cold as normally coming from hill country/mountains down into the lower reaches of the rivers, elevation will be low. The borg warners that are being put together are set up for maximum efficiency at 14psi. Found an identical cooler as yours over here for $500, you sure it will be capable of doing the job? Was advised by one guy over here to use a 3 stage cooler but others have said that's overkill and @ $2000 its blowing by budget a bit. Those injectors seem good value. So are the 5.3 and LS1 injectors the same or different?
That cam will likely peak close to 7000, which is fine. Make sure you have the recommended valve springs installed.

Yes, that intercooler will do the job... Trying to get a better picture showing the intercooler for you, but this 5.3 ran 17psi on 92 octane and 20psi on 100LL (100 octane aviation fuel) with an intercooler about 1/4 to 1/3 of the size of the one we're talking about, in considerably warmer lake water. It's a blow through carburetor deal (have you considered that as an option?)

Not sure on my impeller cut but guessing its big as it was running a 900hp big block before I got it.
What RPM did it turn?
Old 03-24-2016, 03:08 PM
On The Tree

I don't know what rpm it turned, the ex owner has passed away. Sounds good re cooler, some pics of where to mount it would be great. Havent really considered blow thru carb as I am told the ability to get a better tune with the computer is a huge benefit.
Old 03-24-2016, 03:29 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Huffa
I don't know what rpm it turned, the ex owner has passed away. Sounds good re cooler, some pics of where to mount it would be great. Havent really considered blow thru carb as I am told the ability to get a better tune with the computer is a huge benefit.
Intercooler-
Wherever it fits. In front of the engine, behind the engine, partially up under the rear deck...

One consideration to take into account is the water in/outlet's are centered on the end tank, so if the intercooler is mounted flat/horizontally it will trap air and only fill +/- half way with water unless you either relocate the outlet high on the tank or install a small bleed (to overboard) high on the tank to allow the air to escape and completely fill the intercooler with water.

Mounted on angle between 45º and straight up and down, I wouldn't worry about it.

Carb/EFI-
Guys are running blow through deals with a lot of success and it's worth strong consideration for your application IMO.

I'm personally running a MicroSquirt ECU on my deal. Just something I've wanted to do for a long time. But, I'd consider a blow through carb in a heartbeat. They are as tunable as anything but a new emissions controlled vehicle would need.

Have you chosen an ECU?
Old 03-24-2016, 03:41 PM
TECH Regular

Couple links for you
http://www.performanceboats.com/jet-...ct-tunnel.html

http://www.performanceboats.com/jet-...ed-engine.html

http://www.performanceboats.com/gn7-...tec-build.html
Old 03-24-2016, 03:44 PM
TECH Regular

In this example you can see the intercooler under the rear deck in this pic. Also the water fitting placement mid tank.

Last edited by SethU; 03-24-2016 at 03:52 PM.
Old 03-27-2016, 03:24 AM
On The Tree

Just got hold of a very similar dual core intercooler, $500, give it a crack and see how it goes I guess.
Old 03-27-2016, 02:21 PM
TECH Regular

Seems reasonable, $335 US.

Should work well for you.
Old 03-28-2016, 03:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you jet boat guys pump lake / see water through the intercooler or do you run a heat exchanger?
Old 03-28-2016, 03:09 AM
On The Tree

Will be raw water out of the river pumped thru the cooler.
Old 03-28-2016, 03:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Any pics of the pump? What is the flow rate like?
Old 03-28-2016, 03:42 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by chuntington101
Any pics of the pump? What is the flow rate like?
I assume you're asking about an intercooler circulation pump typically found on automotive applications. If so, there's no need for one in a jet boat application. Intercoolers are typically fed raw water (lake, river...) from a pressurized port on the jet drive it self. It's not uncommon to have them fed without a pump at all too, from a water pickup on the bottom of the boat that forces water through when the boat is moving.
Old 04-11-2016, 05:31 AM
On The Tree

So got the Borg Warner S300 63mm .88AR anti surge turbos and 50mm Turbosmart waste gates. Now trying to decide on intake/injectors and throttle body. Am I correct in saying its harder to fit aftermarket high flow fuel rails and injectors to the 5.3 truck intake? If I change to another manifold will keeping with a cable TB be difficult? My 5.3 TB would be unlikely to fit another manifold wouldn't it? So a standard LS1 manifold flows poorly, does that matter in a boosted application? I realise LS6 manifold would be the way to go but hard to get here. I can get an LS2 manifold easy enough, or do I pay the money for a Holly high ram? Still to scared to buy injectors in case I get the wrong ones for my set up. These any good? Whats the go with been a short injector?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/262373339601...xe=exe,ext=ext
Old 04-11-2016, 09:45 AM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

LS1 intake can make power too...but yes the LS6 will be better

I cant see any point in a high ram, unless you're regularly in the 6000rpm and upwards range, as below that it probably wont be much or any better than the LS1 intake.

And there shouldnt be any problem using a cable TB on any of the intakes it will bolt to.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Twin Turbo LS Boat Engine