Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Leak test hotside

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 04:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 185 Likes on 135 Posts
Default Leak test hotside

I'm lookin for an easy way to leak/smoke test my hotside before I wrap it. I'd like to get everything wrapped before my first start but want to make sure I don't have any pinholes. Let me know what you've used. Thanks.
Old 03-14-2016, 04:58 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you talking about leaks in the welds? New hot side pipes should have no reason to leak unless it was with mild steel and its old and corroded. The most common leaks on a hot side or exhaust is from the v-band connections.

If it looks solid and you don't hear any leaks, run it under low boost or even a period of time not under any boost. Leaks will show themselves. There really should be no reason not to wrap it though unless its a shotty hot side with bad welds or corroded steel. Most guys do stainless, but I know some do steel instead.

If you do hear leaks, just run your hand near the suspected spot. you should be able to feel it. I just did this yesterday on mine.
Old 03-14-2016, 10:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can use Seafoam and a rag lightly stuffed in the exhaust to build pressure in the system
Old 03-15-2016, 05:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I made a plate to cap off the T4 flange then used heavy rubber gloves over the other ends that goto the manifolds. I could push about 10psi air pressure to it without popping the gloves off. This was enough to show a couple small leaks on some of my welds. I just sprayed soapy water on all the joints. Any leak will bubble immediately.
Old 03-15-2016, 09:39 AM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

You don't need much pressure at all. I used alum tape and maybe 1-2psi of shop air with soap and water. Can use duct tape too. Stuff a rag in the other end tight with the air hose and bump the air regulator slightly.
Old 03-15-2016, 02:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tape off one end and toss a lit cigarette into the pipe, let it fill with smoke well and cap the other end and watch for the smoke to escape.

And if its needed you then heat the pipe with a heat gun which builds pressure inside the pipe and forces the smoke out.
Old 03-18-2016, 02:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I taped one end up and then taped a vacuum hose on the other. Built a contraption with a glow plug submerged in veg oil for smoke in a close tin paint can.. Worked great. Also use it to check for vacuum leaks.

Quick Reply: Leak test hotside