Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

70' Monte carlo, the gentlemans junkyard build

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 06:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
Drop the timing way down and enjoy the boost?

Can you drill through the scroll where the original WG hole was to the other side of the scroll? So it vents both sides?

Maybe make the original WG hole larger like they do on the DSM turbos?

All great fixes, but at this point I feel like I'm just stacking bandaids on bandaids. Already got the hotside off will spend an hour or so welding up the hole in the turbine and putting the gate in the hotside. It was worth a shot to see if it would work this way, can't win em all.
Old 06-29-2016, 09:47 PM
On The Tree

not sure how i missed this thread, its an awesome build! hope you get the boost control figured out, keep us updated! videos are always awesome

Old 07-05-2016, 09:13 PM
Teching In

Pulled off my hotside and put a merge in the two hot pipes, plugged the turbine housing and slapped it back together. Tried it out tonight and stayed steady around 8 psi and small spike to 10 psi when it shifted. So it seems to be working better. Time for some more tuning, finish the exhaust, change my rear gear and tear up the the streets.

You can see on my original setup that the banks are completely separated untill the turbine wheel. The gate flange on bottom didnt relieve enough energy.

Cut up some 1 3/4 scraps and made this merge had to move the wastegate out a bit to clear the intake pipe.

Wrapped it up with what heat rap i could find, still need to dump the wastegate into the downpipe
Old 07-06-2016, 04:08 AM
SSZ
TECH Fanatic

Gotta wonder if a 60mm gate would have worked on the housing????
Regardless, your getting there. May have to look into valve springs soon I bet. Good luck. Looking forward to updates. Love those old Monte Carlos
Old 07-06-2016, 06:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 187 Likes on 137 Posts

Almost looked like the exhaust still had to spin the turbine in order to get out the hole in the housing. Possibly the hole was too far downstream, like you'd want the exit to the gate before the exhaust even had a chance to touch the wheel. Could be wrong but it seems like you've got it now.
Old 07-06-2016, 06:30 AM
Teching In

60 mm gate would have been a no go, I ran it with the gate off and open pipe, still made 10 psi. Just bad placement. Could have moved it further upstream in the housing and tested again but figured it would still creep on me.
Old 07-06-2016, 06:54 AM
Teching In

did you and your friend get some tuning done.

What are you running timing wise?

What is the AFRs like?

Are the IAT's in good shape?

these things can literally "make" (big power) or break (your motor)...lol

thanks for all the updates and sharing shorts
Old 07-06-2016, 08:00 AM
Teching In

No tuning since last Sunday when I found the boost control issue, wanted to get it fixed first. After I get some more nick nack stuff done on it I'm going to go out and spend a few more hours on the tune. Timing is in the mid teens, can't remember the iat's off hand. But there is alot of work to do on the tune before any track times. I was out beating on it for testing purposes only. Guy tuning it says I'm leaving alot on the table with no aftercooler, I realy would like to just enjoy it for the summer and tackle that project this winter.
Old 08-21-2016, 09:03 PM
Teching In

Little update on the old blue battlewagon. I piped the wastegate into the downpipe, finished the exhaust, tossed the 2.73 peg leg out and put a 3.73 posi in and have been cruising around for a month or so. Enjoying it with the kids. Has been dead reliable flick the key and go. Packed up and took it out to my tuner today. Want to be able to hammer on it and see what it will do. We go out on the street with hp tuners plugged up and before we even get to change any settings it starts running like poop! Limped it back to his house and started troubleshooting. Finally found a dead injector in #2 cylinder. Swapped plugs, wires, fuel pressure, compression. All good. Moved injector from 2 to 4 and it follows injector...drats....don't have 5 tanks of fuel through this set of 80# deka's. Going to see if I can bench test injector maybe got some gunk in it.....stay posted
Old 08-25-2016, 03:59 PM
Teching In

Called the vendor I got the injectors from, they contacted the manufacturer. I shipped all 8 injectors to them for inspection. I'm curious as to what they find. Hope to hear something soon....
Old 08-28-2016, 01:05 AM
Teching In

As a fellow first gen Monte owner I'm diggin your build which makes me want to do something similar for the same reasons. Keep up the good work

Last edited by LS1ToyotaCrawler; 08-28-2016 at 01:15 AM.
Old 08-28-2016, 12:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 527 Likes on 357 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by shortstroke
Called the vendor I got the injectors from, they contacted the manufacturer. I shipped all 8 injectors to them for inspection. I'm curious as to what they find. Hope to hear something soon....
maybe do the decapped stock injector thing? seems like it might fit with the ethos of the build.

and major props to you for keeping at it.

I am so frustrated with my turbo project I just parked it am gonna play with the other cars for awhile.
Old 08-28-2016, 05:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Nice to see another Louisvillian on the board. Which side you on? I'm in fern creek. I'm gonna have to be on guard with this monster of yours lurking on the streets.
Old 08-31-2016, 08:41 PM
Teching In

Game ova I'm over in the prp area, car should be back on the streets soon. Got an email from the vendor yesterday. Deka is replacing the one bad injector and sending the set back to me, should be here tomorrow. Hope to throw em in and it fire up with no issues. Surprised they warrantied an electronic piece, alot of other companies would have told me to shove it. If I had seen some of the decapped stock injectors before I got these I certainly would have tried it. Good to know I got the stock set on a shelf if I need....stay tuned for a weekend update
Old 10-03-2016, 01:17 PM
Teching In

have not had a chance to work on the car lately. between a death in the family, vacation and weddings to go to my weekends have been spoken for. did get the injectors back and they found one bad. slapped em in and it seemed to run good. ran into some more misfire issues and found a burned plug wire. think im going to try the shorter ls2 style wire with some heat shield boots. same trip that i found the bad wire i made a sweet vacuum leak that was tough to find. not sure if it was just time or boost related but im now sucking air through my brake booster. figured the check valve would have kept the boost away from the diaphram but maybe not.....so need a new booster, plug wires, and some heat shields to get back on the road.
Old 10-26-2016, 03:26 PM
Staging Lane

Awesome thread and great looking car! I dig the bed frame wrench and all thread shifter linkage!! I know my kids love riding in my old truck and it doesnt make the cool turbo sounds like this would!!
Old 10-27-2016, 10:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Love your build bro. I have few A-bodys that I need to finish. Just the motivation I needed.
I got my Lemans running, but I am straight speed density and haven't found a tuner I like...lol
Old 10-27-2016, 10:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Love your build bro. I have few A-bodys that I need to finish. Just the motivation I needed.
I got my Lemans running, but I am straight speed density and haven't found a tuner I like...lol

Quick Reply: 70' Monte carlo, the gentlemans junkyard build