Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

A2W cooler blanket

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 08:51 AM
8 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default A2W cooler blanket

I asked the same thing on the bullet but figured id ask here too. I am forced to run my A2W cooler in the engine bay of my car and it sits right behind my radiator fan. I have made a shield to help the situation out but i know it could be better. Ive seen a few people wrap there coolers in what looks like a fiberglass blanket. Anyone here have any suggestions? My cooler is out for the next week or so and i would like to wrap it before putting it back in.
Old 04-06-2016, 01:49 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I had mine sprayed with bed liner. It was better than just raw aluminum but I would still consider it a fail. Your best be is going to some type of containment system along with wrapping it with a foil backed insulation may work. Make it easy to slide on and off so you can dry it out when not running. Doing something like that would only help the containment system. If you don't have a lot of room, think of a very thin (22 ga steel) copy of the lower part of the tank and have the tank drop down into it. put a pet **** on it.
Old 04-06-2016, 06:43 AM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

Gonna sweat like a ****... I'd build build a box around it with a drain. You can stuff the box with a shammy or two to absorb the moisture, but I'm not aware of any coating that will do what your asking. If you use any type of blanket it will just absorb moisture with no way of really draining and rot/stink.

Could bend up quick alum box on a break. Pop rivit the ends and line the corners with silicone. Prob wouldn't need a top/lid either, just a drain?
Old 04-06-2016, 08:09 AM
8 Second Club

I found this stuff yesterday but geez it's expensive.. I called the company and asked them about sweating and what that would do to their adhesive. The guy said he's never had to worry about moisture being an issue so he didn't have a good answer for me other than "just try it and if it doesn't stick you can use something to secure it" they also sell some nice thermal tape for the corners as well.

I initially go the idea from AMS performance. I saw that they used this same stuff on Gidi's Alpha G GTR car.

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/hsp-180025
Old 04-06-2016, 09:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oscs
I found this stuff yesterday but geez it's expensive.. I called the company and asked them about sweating and what that would do to their adhesive. The guy said he's never had to worry about moisture being an issue so he didn't have a good answer for me other than "just try it and if it doesn't stick you can use something to secure it" they also sell some nice thermal tape for the corners as well.

I initially go the idea from AMS performance. I saw that they used this same stuff on Gidi's Alpha G GTR car.

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/hsp-180025
^ that is some expensive stuff!!! Looks good though
Old 04-06-2016, 10:24 AM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

I wouldn’t worry about heat transferring to the IC core as much as water/sweat. I’m sure wrapping will help with heat shielding a bit, but won’t’ do anything for sweating. It needs to be insulated like a cooler to prevent/trap sweating.

What about something like this… With a few large shammies in the bottom?

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/choi...FYU2aQodkXcN2w

Or this…

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/choi...FQcLaQodTsEDvg

Old 04-06-2016, 11:08 AM
8 Second Club

The sweating isn't what I'm worried about. I can easily make a little catch tray. I want to try and slow down the heat soak from the engine bay.
Old 04-06-2016, 11:26 AM
TECH Regular

Might not be pretty, but covering it with aerosol expanding foam would probably do the trick. You can gob it on thick then trim it with a hack saw blade. A little black spray paint or if you wanna go the extra mile fiberglass an outer shell. Definitely wouldn't sweat and should keep most thermal transfer at bay.

Out of curiosity, is it showing IAT's that are out of expected results as it is? I can't imagine the charge air would soak up all too much heat, but I've been surprised before.
Old 04-07-2016, 11:22 AM
TECH Regular

Thought about it a little more last night. Expanding foam, trim, bedliner... Would be very similar to an ice chest's construction with the hard outer coating and an inch or so of foam insulation.

Also, you mentioned something about not knowing if the adhesive backed stuff would stay on when the intercooler started sweating... If the adhesive is such that it creates an air tight seal, where air can not get between the intercooler and the insulation, it would be impossible for it to sweat. Sweat is condensation of moisture/water in the air. No air = no sweat.

Maybe a spray adhesive if you're worried about the peel and stick adhesive creating an air tight bond between the two.

Expanding foam would eliminate this concern too.
Old 04-08-2016, 12:28 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

**** it, call Yeti. That cup is a bad mother ******.

Ha Ha, seriously call Yeti.......they would be into this, and you can bring a patented product to the market and make **** tones of money.

BTW, I've taken a screen shot of this page to prove date and time. You know, so I can come over and get my royalty checks.
Old 04-08-2016, 03:13 AM

I saw that they used this same stuff on Gidi's Alpha G GTR car.
Old 04-08-2016, 08:09 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by mattireye
I saw that they used this same stuff on Gidi's Alpha G GTR car.
Yeah that's where I got the idea.
Old 04-08-2016, 08:23 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Blown06
**** it, call Yeti. That cup is a bad mother ******.

Ha Ha, seriously call Yeti.......they would be into this, and you can bring a patented product to the market and make **** tones of money.

BTW, I've taken a screen shot of this page to prove date and time. You know, so I can come over and get my royalty checks.
Old 04-08-2016, 12:45 PM
TECH Regular

I used this self adhesive duct insulation from home depot, it helps with the heat soak and over all lower AIT temps but its not as good as I would like it to be. Its alot better at night but in the daytime heat I still get some heat soak mostly when I shut the car off and let it sit for bit then start it up again. I did notice that the heat soak temps come down better/faster its still not as good as I would like it to be...
Attached Thumbnails A2W cooler blanket-win_20160408_120526.jpg   A2W cooler blanket-win_20160408_120610.jpg  

Last edited by tonypaul; 04-08-2016 at 12:51 PM.
Old 04-08-2016, 03:17 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by tonypaul
I used this self adhesive duct insulation from home depot, it helps with the heat soak and over all lower AIT temps but its not as good as I would like it to be. Its alot better at night but in the daytime heat I still get some heat soak mostly when I shut the car off and let it sit for bit then start it up again. I did notice that the heat soak temps come down better/faster its still not as good as I would like it to be...
How long has it been on the car?
Old 04-08-2016, 04:04 PM
TECH Regular

How long has it been on the car?
3 weeks
Old 04-08-2016, 04:12 PM
8 Second Club

3 weeks
Did you do any data logging to see the differences? Noticing it coming off at all?
Old 04-08-2016, 06:05 PM
TECH Regular

Did you do any data logging to see the differences? Noticing it coming off at all?
No side by side logging to really compare. It started to come off where it over lapped on top of itself after a couple days. But I put some 3m spray glue on it and its holding good. I would look at this covering like partial band aid. It seemed to help, but not a cure to the problem.

Today after driving about 30 minutes in traffic I noticed my AIT's was 120ish with the pump on. But I know I dont have enough pump. Maybe someone who has a good effective system it may work really well. Its only a $20 investment, if it dont work for you, take it off...
Old 04-08-2016, 07:37 PM
8 Second Club

No side by side logging to really compare. It started to come off where it over lapped on top of itself after a couple days. But I put some 3m spray glue on it and its holding good. I would look at this covering like partial band aid. It seemed to help, but not a cure to the problem.

Today after driving about 30 minutes in traffic I noticed my AIT's was 120ish with the pump on. But I know I dont have enough pump. Maybe someone who has a good effective system it may work really well. Its only a $20 investment, if it dont work for you, take it off...
Gotcha. What pump are you using.
Old 04-08-2016, 08:05 PM
TECH Regular

Gotcha. What pump are you using.
too embarrassed to even say what Im using now, but I have another real good pump left over from another project that Im putting on now.

Quick Reply: A2W cooler blanket