Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Holley hp efi turbo backfire won't run

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 07:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Holley hp efi turbo backfire won't run

First off, this engine was ran before the Holley system was installed. The guy that sold me the system did the initial tune and it was running good. We had the learning feature enabled . I drove the car for about 15 minutes with no issues at all. Then after a couple of 5psi hits, I headed for a longer stretch of road. Waiting at a light, light turned, and I gave it bout quarter throttle, it took off easy, and popped once. Backed off throttle, it smoothed out . Eased into throttle , it popped again. Progressively got worse and worse. At this point I turned around and headed for home. Bout 2 miles away. Kept getting worse as I drove it, to the point where you couldn't give it any throttle at all, kept backfiring bad. I barely made it home. Plugs were dripping with gas. I checked tps voltage. Was .589v closed, to 3.9v at wot. Map sensor is 1.5v with key on. Fuel pressure is 45psi, all coils are making spark. Not sure where to go from here. Messed with it for a week and a half. Pulling my hair out. Hopefully someone has some ideas, and they are greatly appreciated.
Old 04-29-2016, 07:36 PM
Teching In

I have had the intake off, checked for cracks, changed the crank sensor, with a known good one, did a system log while cranking, and looked fine.

Last edited by boostified; 04-29-2016 at 09:21 PM.
Old 04-30-2016, 05:41 AM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If you have the learning mode enabled and have a leak in your exhaust before the o2 sensor the Holley is trying to correct for your false lean reading. You need to fix your exhaust leaks or replace your wideband o2 sensor.
Old 04-30-2016, 06:08 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 241 Likes on 168 Posts

Did you data log it, should be able to spot the area causing the problem
Learning can learn in a problem if something else isn't right
What was the closed loop comp. #'s, was fuel pressure rising with boost, etc
I know I beat my head against the wall figuring out the HP system-just something as simple as changing my PCV system thru mine off on cold start
Old 04-30-2016, 01:08 PM
Launching!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Easy to check, but grounds secure that bolt onto the back of the cylinder heads? I had one slightly loose (my fault) that caused probs just like you describe.
Old 04-30-2016, 07:00 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the replies. I am checking grounds now. They are tight on both heads. I know a couple of v bands do leak a little bit. I need to pull the wrap off the manifolds and check out the welds. My pcv is non existent. Hose runs to a catch can . I had it hooked up at one time, but it would smoke like inspector gadget, under acceleration. Reset learn table. Changed wbo2 . I just can't understand cause it ran great for a half hour or so, and progressively got worse.
Old 04-30-2016, 08:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a similar problem with my HP system. The learn function caused a ridiculous amount of correction (fouling plugs rich) at idle and tip in throttle. I turned off the learn function, manually adjusted the VE table and limited the learn function to over 1500 RPM. It's a great tool, but it can do as much damage to a tune as it can help. Monitor your air/ fuel ratio at idle, you might be surprised to see how rich it is.

Did you save the tune that you initially installed? Try to reload it and turn the learn off at lower rpm. See where it goes from there.
Old 04-30-2016, 08:55 PM
Launching!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by unnatrl

Did you save the tune that you initially installed? Try to reload it and turn the learn off at lower rpm. See where it goes from there.
This. Also good advice. We all keep messing with the tune, and I've learned over the years when I get a "good one" that's solid, I save it elsewhere so I've always got something I know works. Like anyone else...I can't leave well enough alone.

Quick Reply: Holley hp efi turbo backfire won't run