Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 10:06 PM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Turn off knock and see what happens..
Old 07-10-2016, 05:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think we have already tried that. I installed a new cam position sensor because it was throwing a code and no change. I am going to install a new fuel pump and see if that changes anything. I am kind of coming back to the timing again too because my mechanic friend told me that just because i have good compression does not indicate that i have proper timing.
Old 07-10-2016, 06:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 117 Likes on 98 Posts

What code is it setting? I have an Avalanche at the shop now that sets a cam/crank correlation code. It has an LC9 that the timing chain tensioner fell apart and the chain jumped a few teeth. So it is possible to have the cam timing off and set a cam sensor code. It also would explain your high cranking compression readings as well. If it did this since day one, it's worth a look.
Old 07-10-2016, 06:36 PM
TECH Resident

BTW I love the Fairmont! I have a '78 Zephyr Z7 coupe.
Old 07-11-2016, 10:59 PM
On The Tree

Is the car making boost as it should? A cousin of mine recently took his turbo car to get tuned. Had a cheap dinky intercooler on it. Car would blow smoke like a diesel when it started to go into boost and wouldn't really make any power or boost as it should have. Run of them mill type setup too, really simple stuff. The tuner got a tune in it, but obviously not making power as it should. We dug out the tuner's old intercooler he used on his old race car and put it on my cousin's car. Right off the bat with no changes made it made 100whp more at 5600 rpms and hit boost cut right there, which was set at 15 psi or so. Ended up buying a decent intercooler from a guy that day and did some more tuning and it ended up making pretty good power.

Long story short, is there any restrictions after the turbo?
Old 07-12-2016, 06:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 69 Posts

It runs like poop with a NA tune and turbo completely disconnected from the intake as shown in the vid.
Old 07-12-2016, 08:56 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Bad Apache
What code is it setting? I have an Avalanche at the shop now that sets a cam/crank correlation code. It has an LC9 that the timing chain tensioner fell apart and the chain jumped a few teeth. So it is possible to have the cam timing off and set a cam sensor code. It also would explain your high cranking compression readings as well. If it did this since day one, it's worth a look.
CMP hi and lo bank code. Thanks i love the old monts too!
Old 07-12-2016, 11:40 AM
TECH Resident

Any idea of the code numbers? p0016? or the more common p0340 p0341?
Old 07-12-2016, 06:17 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Bad Apache
Any idea of the code numbers? p0016? or the more common p0340 p0341?
p0342, p0343. Well i said screw it and i am pulling off the timing cover to verify timing.
Old 07-20-2016, 06:17 PM
Staging Lane

Well guys i figured it out. The timing was off. I messed it up in the engine build. Took it apart and re-aligned the timing marks and it runs like hell now. Still running on NA tune but feels great to finally have some power. Will post videos soon.
Old 07-21-2016, 06:07 AM
On The Tree

I read the whole thread thinking " I'm going to recommend checking timing marks" and I'll be damned.
Old 07-21-2016, 06:23 AM
8 Second Club

Received 688 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by Budget LS Guy
Well guys i figured it out. The timing was off. I messed it up in the engine build. Took it apart and re-aligned the timing marks and it runs like hell now. Still running on NA tune but feels great to finally have some power. Will post videos soon.
Great to hear! Usually the simple stuff! How far was it off? Did you degree the camshaft? or just align dot-to-dot?
Old 07-21-2016, 07:52 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad you found it. I have heard too many timing issues with LS motors. $20 summit degree wheel and $15 Harbor Freight dial indicator is all you need to confirm.
Old 07-21-2016, 11:15 AM
TECH Resident

Glad to hear you found it!

X2 on did you degree it and how far off was it?

Looking forward to some real numbers this time around!
Old 07-21-2016, 01:33 PM
Teching In

x3 on what the actual cam timing was.

Last edited by jon volk; 07-21-2016 at 06:52 PM.
Old 07-21-2016, 09:08 PM
Staging Lane

To be honest with you guys it must have been like two or three teeth off on the cam. I am lucky that the pistons did not slap the valves! I somehow did not line the dots up correctly on the engine build, which i am not proud of!
Old 07-21-2016, 10:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 177 Likes on 152 Posts

LS Guy thanks for providing feedback.

General Curiosity... It seems the boost community knows how significant getting the correct cam is for the application. I would think one knows it works best when installed as designed. When installed per spec, there is a reference in which to make cam timing adjustments if needed.

What prompts folks to install a cam without using the alignment specs? I get the "slam it in" approach but... a 12 pack and a call to your buddy (with alignment tools if you don't heave them) and good to go. Just a thought.
Old 07-22-2016, 04:21 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tblentrprz
LS Guy thanks for providing feedback.

General Curiosity... It seems the boost community knows how significant getting the correct cam is for the application. I would think one knows it works best when installed as designed. When installed per spec, there is a reference in which to make cam timing adjustments if needed.

What prompts folks to install a cam without using the alignment specs? I get the "slam it in" approach but... a 12 pack and a call to your buddy (with alignment tools if you don't heave them) and good to go. Just a thought.
The OP obviously had a brain fart and it happens. Everyone knows dot to dot is the method. There have also been billions of cams installed without degreeing and they worked fine, I did it many times myself. The only reason I degreed my cam on my turbo build was to avoid the dreaded missing 200 horsepower that pops up a few times a year. There seem to be some variation on the LS motors and I wasnt going to tear a motor back apart for something like cam timing. The positive from this thread is hopefully it will prevent it from happening to someone else.
Old 07-22-2016, 10:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 177 Likes on 152 Posts

Sorry Locker, I'm not disparaging the OP for a mistake. Trust me, I make my fair share each day. My point is, slam it in is "dot to dot" without measuring cam events (degreeing the cam). Yes, the motor may run well and feel good but is the cam where it's supposed to be? Measuring cam events and comparing to specs may be revealing. Only way to really know is to measure. It's very simple and worth the time and tool cost. A good read on cam timing and the impact it has on performance is very enlightening. Some insight from cam designers can be found here http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic...63ead&start=45
Old 07-25-2016, 10:55 PM
Staging Lane

I'm always glad to provide feedback to help other people solve their problems. Maybe this thread will be helpful for someone else. Align the damn dots lol

Quick Reply: Need troubleshooting Help! Turbo Fairmont wont make power