Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

LS2 engine supercharger Cooling system

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 03:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS2 engine supercharger Cooling system

Hello, i have the LS2 engine with magnuson supercharger in my BMW e46 drift car, i have a problem with high IAT. It is around 160*F when I drive hard. What You think, is it too much? How do You handle with big temperatures in supercharged engines? I have 3 radiators in front of the car to cool down the charger, but they are probably not sufficient.

My charger give 0.5 bar ( pulley 3,2" + overdrive crank pulley ( 8" )

My tuner says that the temp like 160*F is to much and the engine loss the power in this temperature. Maybe it is not to much and I have not afraid it ?

What You think?

My car:

Old 07-18-2016, 06:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

no fans . I have an afco heat exchanger for a gt500 with dual fans. My air Intake temps are 20-25 over ambient
Old 07-19-2016, 01:22 AM
Teching In

You mean this set ?

http://www.americanmuscle.com/afco-p...product_pics-0

What is Your boost ? What engine and which charger?

My fuel is PB 98, i forget to write.
Old 07-24-2016, 06:04 AM
Teching In

Meth injection or E85. Should be a nice IAT drop. Cooling the engine is only going to do so much.
Old 07-25-2016, 08:20 PM
Staging Lane

is your pump strong enough to pull through the 3 heat exchangers? looks like you have them plumbed in series, I would try plumbing them parallel or upgrade your pump

edit= your setup has many restriction points and that really kills the flow rate. most water tank pumps really drop off when the pressure starts climbing.

Last edited by Tanus; 07-25-2016 at 08:36 PM.
Old 07-25-2016, 08:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tony_rider
You mean this set ?

http://www.americanmuscle.com/afco-p...product_pics-0

What is Your boost ? What engine and which charger?

My fuel is PB 98, i forget to write.
Yes ly6. 10.lbs whipple 2.9 .I also have a 2 gal reservour .70% distilled water/30% antifreeze .even though you have 3 exchangers , they look small. Plus no fans.. Unless your driving 75 mph , not enough air flow. Buy some pusher fans and attach see what happens. If you go on speedway.com , look in garage sale sec. I got my set up for 500$

Last edited by jimmyg; 07-25-2016 at 08:33 PM.
Old 07-26-2016, 02:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Put some fans on at least two of those heat exchangers, and try a larger or second intercooler pump.

If that doesn't fix it, then meth injection and/or E85 are the next logical steps.

For best results, combining all of these methods would almost certainly solve your issues.
Old 07-26-2016, 04:26 AM
Teching In

On side radiators i have two fans ( maybe they are to weak? - they are form 4x4 car from intercooler )

I have install two pumps and I have checked the water flow, it is very nice...

Old 07-26-2016, 04:10 PM
TECH Addict

You have three heat exchangers for the Whipple, correct?
And two of them have puller fans behind them, correct?
You have two intercooler pumps, correct?
And you are only pushing 10# of boost?

Seems like a lot of heat for such a robust cooling system and such low boost. You may want to seriously consider E85. Or reinstall your a/c and get an active interchiller.
Old 07-27-2016, 02:51 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DavidBoren
You have three heat exchangers for the Whipple, correct?
And two of them have puller fans behind them, correct?
You have two intercooler pumps, correct?
And you are only pushing 10# of boost?

Seems like a lot of heat for such a robust cooling system and such low boost. You may want to seriously consider E85. Or reinstall your a/c and get an active interchiller.
All correct, but my boost is only 8 PSI

Maybe this 'old-fashioned' fans are not strong enough for my application? What You think?

I don't Understand Your last sentence "reinstall your a/c and get an active interchiller" What You mean ?
Old 07-27-2016, 05:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Where is your IAT sensor located? I'm guessing it's before the intercooler.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You could look at replacing the oil cooler cores for proper water to air cores. Also could you confirm the layout of the radiators? Fans shouldn't be needed as once you are moving there should be sufficient airflow over them.

What pump are you using? As others have said it could simply be that the intercooler isn't getting enough cold water to pull the heat out. Also what size pipe work / entry and exit to the intercooler? This could be causing some restriction.

Are the coolers shrouded to ensure the air HAS to go through them (on the side ones at least)? What's you engine coolent temps like? You could maybe add a larger heat exchanger in front of the main engine radiator.

Also important to make sure all the air is out of the system! The slightest bit can dramatically reduce performance of the system.
Old 07-28-2016, 12:14 AM
TECH Addict

Having purpose intended heat exchangers with properly ducted fans would certainly help. Also, making sure your sensor is after your intercooler is necessary to get an accurate reading. But the active interchiller I mentioned is a heat exchanger that is tied into the a/c system. It chills the supercharger coolant using the a/c, and can achieve sub-ambient intake air temperatures. It does require you to either have your a/c system installed and hooked up, or a stand-alone 12v a/c system just for it.
Old 07-30-2016, 07:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

When I installed mine, whipple told me I needed at least a 2 gal reservour. What size are you running? The heat x don't hold much , so if your res is small, it's going to be hard to keep cool. Plus ls1 is right, Iat needs to be after intercooler. I would get rid of 3 small heat x, run 1 decent size w/ fans, and a bigger reservour with distilled water. Also, what's up with alt belt in pic?

Quick Reply: LS2 engine supercharger Cooling system