Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

All these on3 ball sucking threads.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 09:50 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All the people that aren't having issues are out melting tires. You're not gonna hear about the 99% that are issue free, just the 1% will make threads. I recently had some issues with China turbos, but I'm almost certain it was my fault, so I'm fixing what I believe to be the problem, and giving it another try!
Old 08-12-2016, 10:30 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im gonna post another on3 build thread here in a few mins...
Old 08-12-2016, 04:14 PM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You have to realize Chinese don't come up with their own ****. They are some of the best reverse engineers in the world. They copy a well known performing turbo and are damn good at it. Not saying their turbos are bad but it's kinda sad how some of you have no problem supporting China over our own men and women in this country.
Old 08-12-2016, 04:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Nitroused383
You have to realize Chinese don't come up with their own ****. They are some of the best reverse engineers in the world. They copy a well known performing turbo and are damn good at it. Not saying their turbos are bad but it's kinda sad how some of you have no problem supporting China over our own men and women in this country.
I don't care if Im supporting Kazakhstan. When our men and women in our country can't come up with a quality product, I'm not going to continue to give them chances with my hard earned money. And it's been amply proven that precision is sup par when it comes to a quality product. So my money will go other places till I find a quality product.....be it China or wherever.
Old 08-12-2016, 04:29 PM
8 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Still don't understand why someone would buy a cheap China turbo over a moderately priced BW or TN unit. Yeah they cost a little more but parts, maps and customer support are readily available and local. I've seen a lot of china turbos take a **** and no one knows about it because they are just thrown away and replaced. I too laugh at these oh it only made 50whp less threads...

I've said it a hundred times. The LS motor is the new B series. The amount of half assed build threads out there with the whole "good enough" mentality is overwhelming. However.. It's not my car so whatever.
Old 08-12-2016, 04:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by oscs
Still don't understand why someone would buy a cheap China turbo over a moderately priced BW or TN unit. Yeah they cost a little more but parts, maps and customer support are readily available and local. I've seen a lot of china turbos take a **** and no one knows about it because they are just thrown away and replaced. I too laugh at these oh it only made 50whp less threads...

I've said it a hundred times. The LS motor is the new B series. The amount of half assed build threads out there with the whole "good enough" mentality is overwhelming. However.. It's not my car so whatever.
Sure you're right "I've seen a lot of them thrown away". Some of us have underhood real estate restrictions, so brog warner is definately out of the picture. But hey, if 40rwhp is worth, $1600 to you especially for a known suspect quality unit.....then you go ahead and be that guy. Just trying to figure out how a decently priced/performing turbo suddenly makes you build/vehicle "half *****". I guess we should all be idiots and continue to give precision our money so we can have vehicles that are "done right". Love that logic.
Old 08-12-2016, 04:59 PM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Precision isn't the only US company out there. So you don't care where your money goes? So I'm not sure what you do for a living but how would you feel if your boss doesn't need you anymore because Mexico or China can do your job for a fraction of the cost. Continue to support china and see if they support you.
Old 08-12-2016, 05:35 PM
Restricted User

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

The majority of the cash goes to whichever US vendor is selling them, and since they most likely move higher volume (from lower prices), revenue generated for the US is probably close to the same. The only difference being that China sees a portion of it.

No, they don't do their own R&D. They are contracted by a US company (most times) to do nothing more than manufacture. They simply make what they are told to.

Take Speedmaster for example. California based company. They send China a product and say they want 1000 of them. China ships them to them a X cost, and Speedmaster sells them at 4X. 75% of the revenue goes to a US company. Don't blame China. Blame companies like Speedmaster that go out and buy someone else's product and ask the Chinese to produce them.

Don't forget, Borg Warner has made almost 2 million turbos IN CHINA. Garret is now based in China. Companies like Precision produce something half as reliable at twice the cost. You can't blame someone for wanting a Chinese made product.

If their stuff was so horrible, their country would be falling apart, not on the fast track to embarrassing us economically, educationally, and technologically. Get over it.
Old 08-12-2016, 07:36 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Game ova
Sure you're right "I've seen a lot of them thrown away". Some of us have underhood real estate restrictions, so brog warner is definately out of the picture. But hey, if 40rwhp is worth, $1600 to you especially for a known suspect quality unit.....then you go ahead and be that guy. Just trying to figure out how a decently priced/performing turbo suddenly makes you build/vehicle "half *****". I guess we should all be idiots and continue to give precision our money so we can have vehicles that are "done right". Love that logic.
Name a known BW "suspect unit." if you read my post properly I suggested replacing the turbo with a BORG WARNER.. Not a precision unit. And please don't talk to me about "underhood real estate issues" if anyone in this section knows what thats like its me.

As far as the BW being made in China comments goes, I get that and it's not a secret. I never said "Buy American only yeha!" I said spend a little extra cash and buy a known, reliable well functioning turbo. MOST of the time the guys that want a "cheap" turbo have relatively "low" HP goals. Chances are you can find a better quality turbo that performs just a little better for not a ton more. Also if you are one of those guys shooting for big power on China turbos well then I'll just stop there. My .02 anyways.
Attached Thumbnails All these on3 ball sucking threads.-photo409.jpg  
Old 08-12-2016, 07:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Turbonetics
Old 08-12-2016, 08:04 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Heavy H.P.
Turbonetics
That's what I used on the car above. I think they were like $680 a piece or something.
Old 08-12-2016, 08:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

In my opinion the most "American" turbo on the market is Garrett. Yes, some of their large parts (SOME housings, not all) are cast overseas, but the bulk of their assembles are manufactured, tested and assembled in t he US. They are also IMO the best turbo on the market for 90% of applications and still to this day the largest OE supplier on earth.
Old 08-12-2016, 08:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Name a known BW "suspect unit." if you read my post properly I suggested replacing the turbo with a BORG WARNER.. Not a precision unit. And please don't talk to me about "underhood real estate issues" if anyone in this section knows what thats like its me.

As far as the BW being made in China comments goes, I get that and it's not a secret. I never said "Buy American only yeha!" I said spend a little extra cash and buy a known, reliable well functioning turbo. MOST of the time the guys that want a "cheap" turbo have relatively "low" HP goals. Chances are you can find a better quality turbo that performs just a little better for not a ton more. Also if you are one of those guys shooting for big power on China turbos well then I'll just stop there. My .02 anyways.
Borg warner will not work for people with F body's that are true street cars, as in true street....no fender exhaust and retaining ac. And big power is subjective. I say, an 800rwhp with rear exit exhaust with heat and ac...powersteering...is a big power car. You can take a guy that's used to 3000rwhp and put him in an 800hp car and he will probably think it's down on about 3 holes. It's all about perception.
Old 08-12-2016, 10:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That's what I used on the car above. I think they were like $680 a piece or something.
I've never seen any bad reviews about Turbonetics. If their are some they aren't as plentiful as the Precision reviews. I could never understand how Precision is as popular as they are with the track record they have.

Glad my car will be a BW car.
Old 08-12-2016, 10:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Borg warner is fine for people that have near unlimited room, as their turbos are massive. I have no experience with them, so I can't speak to their quality....or power making abilities. I just know that the typical non racecar f body isn't going to have any use for a borg warner.
Old 08-12-2016, 11:03 PM
8 Second Club

T60 series Turbonetics Turbos. The compressor housings are small and you can get up to a 72 or 73mm blade in there IIRC. They are the same exact size as the old master power T61 series which was a garret knock off. Ive never had an issue with my TN units. Just another option if size is of concern.
Old 08-12-2016, 11:05 PM
TECH Junkie

T60 series Turbonetics Turbos. The compressor housings are small and you can get up to a 72 or 73mm blade in there IIRC. They are the same exact size as the old master power T61 series which was a garret knock off. Ive never had an issue with my TN units. Just another option if size is of concern.
Kinda small for a 6.0 don't ya think?
Old 08-13-2016, 07:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not with the proper quantity.
Old 08-13-2016, 08:13 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by sbcgenII
Not with the proper quantity.
^ This
Old 08-13-2016, 08:16 AM
8 Second Club

You might be able to go all the way to a 76mm I honestly can't remember. There are a ton of options with them though.

Quick Reply: All these on3 ball sucking threads.