Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Anyone running a LLSR/Turbo combo?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 02:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Anyone running a LLSR/Turbo combo?

Starting on my 5.3l build & seriously considering going with a LLSR with the turbo. I have seen a few guys run NA on these but haven't noticed anyone post about using one in a turbo car so if you have or know anyone that has gone that route I'd love to here all about it.
Old 08-27-2016, 06:22 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Whether the engine is turbocharged or not makes little difference.

I've had one in mine for almost 2 years now albeit with a mild profile. Although I did just order a slightly bigger cam just a few days ago although wont be changing it until over the winter.
Old 08-28-2016, 08:30 AM
8 Second Club

Received 120 Likes on 89 Posts

What's the point?
Old 08-28-2016, 08:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Stevie: what's your profile now & what are you moving to? Are you using stock rockers or adj. rollers? Who did you go through for yours?

Do you feel the performance & durability difference is worth the cost offset in most circumstances?
Old 08-28-2016, 01:52 PM
9 Second Club

What's the point ? it's a good question and probably no solid answer. I just wanted to remove the small variable that hydraulic lifters offer.

Current profile is around 228/230 on 116 with a tad under 600thou lift, bumping that up by around 10deg or so and a little more lift.
Profile was kept mild initially because I want a super smooth idle and have yearly emissions tests to pass, so wasnt taking any risks as far as overlap etc go, although it passes these with ease hence pushing it up a bit further soon.

I originally wanted a cam that would be happy at 7-7500rpm for standing mile stuff etc, although I think forcing that milder profile didnt help me with that goal. The new profile should resolve that.
No doubt there are hydraulic cams that will do that too....I just wanted a solid roller, it seems like the more sensible option to me from a mechanical point of view.

I had no performance or durability issues with hydraulic...and nor have I had with the LLSR. I didnt change for those reasons*....I changed largely because I wanted to. Cost wasnt a big deal for me either, as I wanted to change the YT rockers I'd been using for several years anyway. I ended up with the 1.7 Jesels

*other than once a few years ago when I had some oil pressure problems...this very clearly was affecting the hydraulic setup and valve timing was affected. Obviously the oil pressure problem was the core problem there....either way, with a solid roller oil pressure will never effect the valve operation/timing etc.
Old 08-28-2016, 08:17 PM
8 Second Club

Received 120 Likes on 89 Posts

Seems silly to spend the money on parts and just not use a tradional solid roller lobe
Old 08-29-2016, 04:16 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by rotary1307cc
Seems silly to spend the money on parts and just not use a tradional solid roller lobe
Not really. As said, I just wanted to remove the potential variable of hydraulic, and I have yearly emissions tests to pass so there was no point taking a risk with a big cam only for it to fail and then be forced to change.
So playing safe was the best option.
It just ended up far safer than expected lol.

And I'm sure we all throw more money at our cars than is necessary !
Old 08-29-2016, 07:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks again Stevie. It gives me a reference point.

I've never dealt with these new low lash cams. I've ran solid flats & rollers before but it was before the time of the lower lash stuff.

I appreciate the input.

Mind me asking the valve curtain timing?

Quick Reply: Anyone running a LLSR/Turbo combo?