Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

8-71 Roots blower w/ intercooler in my boat. Build help.

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 05:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 8-71 Roots blower w/ intercooler in my boat. Build help.

This winter (assuming I still have funds) it's going to be time to pull the 383 LS1 out of my jet boat for a freshening. It's not hurt, it's just time. That said, while it's out I have every intention of putting an 8-71 with intercooler (either from BDS or The Blower Shop) on it. I know it won't make as much power as a turbo or twin screw build...but it'll look and sound awesome - and that's good enough for me. Actually, it'll probably wind up looking a little bit like WALL-E, but it'll have blower surge!

The goal will be approx 800 flywheel horsepower, and it will likely have the **** beat out of it just like my 383 did.

Questions:
1) Do I reuse my 383 with a piston/cam change? This would be the cheapest...but unsure about longevity.
2) Do I use a 6.0 iron block with the 383's current crank/rod combo for a 408? If so, do I keep the cathedral port heads - or go to rectangle port (blower intake is available for both).
3) Do I use one of the alum blocks I haven't listed yet (LS2, LS3, L92)? If so...can I still reuse my crank (24x reluctor)/rods from the 383?
4) Will the MSD 6010 have enough "*** in it's pants" for this?

I'm not going to say this is a budget build, because I do want it built right. BUT, it's certainly not an unlimited funds build either. Again, the goal is 800 hp...but 750 would be fine, as would 950. I am also going to be using carbs with this, because EFI with a blower is $$$ I won't be able to come up with.
Old 09-06-2016, 10:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

I, personally, do not trust boosted LS1/6 blocks. But that's just me. An iron 408 would probably be the best approach for having an engine that could be expected to last a while and achieving your goals. I would step up to rectangle port heads, because I believe that positive displacement blowers enjoy large volume runners. An aluminum block would be fine as well, so long as it is not an LS1/6 block. The LS2, LS3, L92 blocks all have thicker cylinder sleeves that can handle boost without slitting.
Old 09-07-2016, 03:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is there any point in running an intercooler with a carb roots blower? Is the fuel not just going to evaporate in the supercharger and bring IATs down low anyway?
Old 09-08-2016, 10:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sell the alum block to a road race driver or someone who needs it, you need a 388/403 iron warrior
Old 09-08-2016, 11:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

I'm sitting on a pile off parts that was a roots blown 408, I bought it after it blew up on the dyno and the original owner decided to go BBC instead . Here is his original thread https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...wer-build.html
I'm rebuilding it to put into a 1950 Chevy 5-window truck. I have everything to put it back together but have another build to finish first. The only thing I'm changing is going to pinned billet mains, Mainly because I had to replace the main caps anyway and I came across a deal on the billet caps. The other thing I'm looking at is a crank support, The blower pulley really hangs out there on the crankshaft and with as much money as I have in it now I might as well do everything I can to make it reliable.

Here is a video of his obviously before it was hurt on the dyno.
Old 09-08-2016, 11:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

If you want to build one that will handle anything you might want to try to find out what the burnout guys are building lol they torture them.

Quick Reply: 8-71 Roots blower w/ intercooler in my boat. Build help.