Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Where to port 862s for boost?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 09:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by gnx7
I would sell that TH200-4R as they are not known for taking abuse... even if you have one from an '86-87 Buick GN. Built up those transmissions are notorious for issues including all billet internals.

Sell it and buy a 4L80E and never look back.
Appreciate the concern. I've had this trans behind a 521 BBF and that was much harder on the trans and never had an issue. Like I said the trans was built by the guy who wrote the "bible" on the 2004R and specializes in these transmissions for all the high HP buick guys. I'm not worried about the trans one bit. 800hp/tq rated trans on a 650hp build is not a worry for me, esp when I have the strongest driveshaft and tq converter to also back it up. weakest part on the car is the rear. The trans cooler is literally the size of a radiator, off a superduty 450 and I had to put a inline thermostat to help increase trans temps due to the coolers size/efficency. Now it never gets above 160* but takes a long time to get to that temp. Without the 180 trans Tstat I would never even see 140* temps.

4L80E is a large, heavy, power consuming beast. I dont have the ability to control it (my PCM originally was with a 4L60E) which I have de-pinned and cut out. I wont ever go electronic transmission. Also the size might require tunnel mods. The 2004R is smaller than the 700r4, more efficent, better gear spread etc and can be built for 1000hp. Like I said I'm hoping for 650hp, my supercharger is maxed around 750hp, injectors are 72lb and rated to about 800hp, trans is rated to 800hp. Not going to ever get their as it costs to much to upgrade everything. Plus 650hp is more than enough for the street.

Quick Reply: Where to port 862s for boost?