Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

O2 Sensor location in a turbo log manifold

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 11:16 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default O2 Sensor location in a turbo log manifold

I'm going to be running my 411 ecu with HP Tuners Pro and I have my wideband O2 sensor in the downpipe past the turbo. If I want to run closed loop speed density, am I correct in thinking that I'll need to keep my upstream O2 sensors that come on the factory harness?

This is how my exhaust is routed

Since my driver's side manifold merges with the passenger side, where would I place the passenger side O2? Anywhere I put it, it'll be reading from both manifolds.

I want to start off with Denmah's 3bar SD tune from his website since I have 80lb injectors, stock truck intake, and a 3 bar MAP sensor. Does anyone know if that is set up to be open loop or closed loop? My HP Tuners Pro software gets delivered today so I'll start going through and learning about it but I'm trying to get a baseline understanding. I think I have most sensors stripped that I won't need in my harness but I've left 2 O2 sensors because I believe that closed loop SD is best for a street/strip car.
Old 10-03-2016, 02:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm wondering the same- but I'd image the high heat pre turbo would be a no-no for 02s.

You can run a lc-2 wideband on the downpipe, and run each analog output to the pcm as bank1 and bank2. And the banks would trim together. Ofcourse you'd want to program the analogs outputs to be NBO2 simulation.

This is my plan but with twin turbos and twin LC-2. I think with a single turbo you may not be able to trim each bank separately unless you can use EGT or CHT.
Old 10-03-2016, 02:32 PM
Staging Lane

Do you think I could run one regular O2 sensor post turbo, sort of alongside the wideband, and splice that into both bank 1 and bank 2 of the PCM? At least then it would have a closed loop system, but I'd be assuming that both banks run the same AFR.
Old 10-03-2016, 04:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can run a WBO2 that has an output to emulate a NBO2. I think that will be the best/cleanest way.
Old 10-03-2016, 05:40 PM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm curious about this too since I have a similar setup. From searches I have done, some are running with the driver side O2 around the stock location and running the passenger one in the dp. I also have seen where some run the driver side in the same location but run the passenger in the log a couple of inches before the turbo.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Look up a kbracing turbo kit. Install o2s as he has them. Truck guys use his kits daily. Him and trick.
Old 10-04-2016, 03:51 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by rworcester
Do you think I could run one regular O2 sensor post turbo, sort of alongside the wideband, and splice that into both bank 1 and bank 2 of the PCM? At least then it would have a closed loop system, but I'd be assuming that both banks run the same AFR.
thats how import are setup. o2 right after the turbo.

for this i would run o2 right when driver side headers "merge".
on the passenger I guess you have no choice but to put it after they merge together.

mine merge in the front so i mounted my o2 right on the end of each headers.

2 years 10k miles on 1 old o2 sensor and 1 brand new. no problem.
Old 10-04-2016, 07:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Turbo Buicks run the NB sensor just under the turbo inlet...many work for many 1000's of miles at hi boost.
Old 10-04-2016, 01:02 PM
Staging Lane

I think I'll place driver's side in the bottom of the manifold/in the crossover and then the passenger's side NBO2 somewhere in the merge. It'll be a close enough reading and better than nothing. Is there a recommended NBO2 replacement sensor for the GM harness?

Quick Reply: O2 Sensor location in a turbo log manifold