Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Catch Can ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 03:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Catch Can ?

Hey guys don't kill me I know this has been beat to death but have a couple questions on my set up. Running a 2001 ls1 with the ls6 Valley cover and Chevrolet performance valve covers. Currently I only have a breather on the oil fill and I'm using a one way check valve from the intake manifold to the valley cover. Under boost the filter is leaking and getting all over the hot side of the turbo and engine bay. Im thinking i need to vent both valve covers. I was looking at the Mighty mouse Race can but the price is out of my budget right now. Is there any difference between that and say something like a moroso with 2 inlets and a filter on top? I'm not worried about fumes/pcv ect because this is only a wekend driver. But I don't want the oil everywhere making a mess. Please advise if you can. Thanks
Old 01-18-2017, 06:33 PM
12 Second Club

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

I have no experience with the moroso piece but i do like my MM catch can on my setup.No oily mist or fumes from it.I not using the race can though,just the pcv can with the oil cap adapter to the can. Id save up for a quality can or even build one.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Redbull87
I have no experience with the moroso piece but i do like my MM catch can on my setup.No oily mist or fumes from it.I not using the race can though,just the pcv can with the oil cap adapter to the can. Id save up for a quality can or even build one.
I was just using the moroso as an example. Not sure if there is anything special to the MM can VS a regular catch can with a breather at half the cost.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The MM can is worth the money IMO. There is a thread on here from just a few days ago.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...an-setups.html

You have such a beautiful engine bay, it would be a shame to make a mess of it with oil all over the place. I'd skip lunch for a month if it meant I could afford a nice catch can setup, vs having that engine bay all messed up.

The MM catch can isn't just a can with a couple ports on it, it is baffled correctly inside, includes a PCV valve etc. There are cheaper cans out there than the MM can, but they are cheaper cans. I feel you get what you pay for with the MM can. I wish it were $100 less though, I'd have $100 more in my wallet, and Mighty Mouse would have $100 less.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Plug the intake port. Get a breather catch can. You need 3 ports in the catch can. I used two -8an lines, one to each valve cover and the third is a 1/4npt female fitting with a 90 degree brass fitting with a hose barb on it. This one goes to your valley cover.
Some people look down on venting to the atmosphere, say it gets your oil dirty, says it stinks, blah blah blah. Frankly I don't go more than 3000 miles on an oil change and I can't smell anything coming from the catch can. It works great btw...
Old 01-19-2017, 09:30 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Then you just plug everything else off right. Like the two ports behind the throttle body, pcv, and the stock port in valve cover
Old 01-19-2017, 10:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Some setups are different. it depends on what can your using. Like sschoeffler said above u would do away with the ports behind tb. the PCV would not be used because each valve cover goes to the can. So the stock pcv port would go to the can and the passenger port to the can. different ways of doing it.

On my turbo truck I don't use a can and have a open vent on the passenger port and use the PCV valve to the intake with a check valve in line. All other ports are blocked off. Some add open breathers to both valve covers as well.
Old 01-19-2017, 10:16 PM
TECH Addict

To the OP that is one nice C10. what is that a 72 model? more pics?

LOL Edit** see your user name is 70c10 lol.
Old 01-19-2017, 10:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by brandon6.0
To the OP that is one nice C10. what is that a 72 model? more pics?

LOL Edit** see your user name is 70c10 lol.
Thank you, It's a 70 with a 67-68 front clip. It now has all the glass and interior in now.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:01 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a damn nice truck right there
Old 01-20-2017, 01:38 AM
TECH Resident

I welded -8an bungs in the back of the valve covers and ran braided line to the front where my catch can is. Would have been a lot cheaper to use silicone tubing and a barb fitting. But yes, block all others except the valley port.
Old 01-20-2017, 02:14 AM
Teching In

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Smile

Save up for the MM Can,trucks too nice to cut corners now.Call and talk to David you'll be glad you did!
Old 01-20-2017, 09:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Nathaninwa
That's a damn nice truck right there
Thank you, It's been a long process.
Old 01-20-2017, 11:40 PM
SSZ
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by knickel
Save up for the MM Can,trucks too nice to cut corners now.Call and talk to David you'll be glad you did!
I just ordered my Pcv catch can yesterday from Dave. Great guy to deal with. I spoke to him for probably a couple hours picking his brain. I'm confident I'm gonna be happy. He has a good rep plus he has been a great contributor to this forum. Check him out for sure.
Old 01-21-2017, 03:07 PM
TECH Addict

yes sir that thing is a beauty!! And its got a turbo ls swap. Doesn't get any better! love the color!
Old 01-28-2017, 04:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottyBG
The MM can is worth the money IMO. There is a thread on here from just a few days ago.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...an-setups.html

You have such a beautiful engine bay, it would be a shame to make a mess of it with oil all over the place. I'd skip lunch for a month if it meant I could afford a nice catch can setup, vs having that engine bay all messed up.

The MM catch can isn't just a can with a couple ports on it, it is baffled correctly inside, includes a PCV valve etc. There are cheaper cans out there than the MM can, but they are cheaper cans. I feel you get what you pay for with the MM can. I wish it were $100 less though, I'd have $100 more in my wallet, and Mighty Mouse would have $100 less.
The Gov gets 40% lol.

Originally Posted by sschoeffler
Plug the intake port. Get a breather catch can. You need 3 ports in the catch can. I used two -8an lines, one to each valve cover and the third is a 1/4npt female fitting with a 90 degree brass fitting with a hose barb on it. This one goes to your valley cover.
Some people look down on venting to the atmosphere, say it gets your oil dirty, says it stinks, blah blah blah. Frankly I don't go more than 3000 miles on an oil change and I can't smell anything coming from the catch can. It works great btw...
Every application is different, I assure you that your perception is not the same across the board.

Originally Posted by SSZ
I just ordered my Pcv catch can yesterday from Dave. Great guy to deal with. I spoke to him for probably a couple hours picking his brain. I'm confident I'm gonna be happy. He has a good rep plus he has been a great contributor to this forum. Check him out for sure.
Thanks guys!

There is no magic in my race can. honestly it exists only because It can be made out of a downgrade of my PCV and DRAFT can parts. There are nice things about it, quality USA manufactured and supported lifetime guarantee blah blah but it can also be serviced / upgraded, like the rest of the line up the goal is to be the last can you ever buy.
Old 01-29-2017, 04:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Are those valve covers baffled? If not, most likely a ton of oil will be pulled from them no matter what can you use.
Old 01-29-2017, 08:50 PM
TECH Resident

Actually I get more water than anything. I'd say 70% water 30% fuel. Haven't seen any oil in it yet.

Quick Reply: Catch Can ?