Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Th400 First drive impression.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 12:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Nathaninwa
What shifter do you have? You can wire the trans brake into the reverse light switch and get reverse, but I would use a toggle or something to shut it off at the track so if you go into neutral on the big end you don't accidently get reverse

My vote is a 35 spline 9 inch!
How are you going into neutral on the big end? Do you have a special shift pattern where neutral is another shift back from 3rd?
I used to throw the shifter into 2nd to get it to freewheel like it is in neutral on the big end. However, I have since changed my driving habits as this is a big no no and could cause the drum to explode and come through the case and floor board. The experts say you must leave it in 3rd gear and engine brake on the big end unless you have the special shift pattern vb/shifter. Also, the trans experts say to never downshift into first or second while the vehicle is moving as this is the equivalent to neutral dropping the trans.

BTW, Game Ova. You will love the th400 at the track. Launching becomes much easier and consistent and ET's drop like a rock! I had a different experience when I switched from the t56 to the th400. My car felt much slower but was .5 quicker at the track with no other changes.
Old 02-26-2017, 01:03 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just horror story's I've heard and recommendation from FTI for my Glide install

My pro ratchet has a reverse lockout, but any slight misadjustment in the linkage or something like a floor jack misplaced could open the reverse passages when up shifting from high gear

Doing any speed on the big end I'd like to know it's not going to hit reverse and end up on the roof. You never know when something might go wrong and you'll want to put it in neutral. I bought a brake like this just for the neutral capability

But if its a reverse pattern I guess it's no big deal, I prefer forward pattern
Old 02-26-2017, 02:19 PM
8 Second Club

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

As Nathan said, if your shifter has a reverse light switch just wire it to the transbrake so when you put it in reverse it completes the circuit.

One more word of caution not so much about hitting reverse, but some transbrakes work ONLY in first and reverse but some will activate no matter what gear you are in. My friend hit his button by mistake going down the track with his TH400 and it locked the back tires up. He didn't wreck the car but it caused a whole bunch of havoc on the drivetrain.
Old 02-26-2017, 02:25 PM
8 Second Club

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Nostang
I used to throw the shifter into 2nd to get it to freewheel like it is in neutral on the big end. However, I have since changed my driving habits as this is a big no no and could cause the drum to explode and come through the case and floor board. The experts say you must leave it in 3rd gear and engine brake on the big end unless you have the special shift pattern vb/shifter. Also, the trans experts say to never downshift into first or second while the vehicle is moving as this is the equivalent to neutral dropping the trans.
I used to drop mine in 2nd as well until I read it was a HUGE no-no. They say it causes the internals on the trans to spin at a crazy rate and can cause the damage you mentioned.

I also learned the hard way not to just stab the throttle in a freewheel type TH400 coasting from 1st or 2nd gear roll. I sheared the lugs off the inside of the case twice before I found out why it was happening. Expensive lesson.
Old 02-26-2017, 03:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

What shifter do you have? You can wire the trans brake into the reverse light switch and get reverse, but I would use a toggle or something to shut it off at the track so if you go into neutral on the big end you don't accidently get reverse

My vote is a 35 spline 9 inch!
using the quicksilver. I liked it because it doesn't have any crazy levers and buttons to pull or push to shift. Plus it stays in one spot while shifting. Kept the m6 boot too.
Old 02-26-2017, 04:08 PM
TECH Regular

Any sort of reverse lockout?

Is your valve body a forward or reverse pattern?
Old 02-26-2017, 04:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Any sort of reverse lockout?

Is your valve body a forward or reverse pattern?
Yea, you have to pull up on the shifter while In 1st In order to go to neutral reverse or park. And I'm running a full manual reverse. *edit* I take that back, you can go to neutral straight from 1st gear.
Old 02-26-2017, 06:20 PM
TECH Regular

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
What PTC unit is it? PN? What Ecu are you using? I limit my RPM to 3400-3600 or so on the brake. Once boost starts building it will fly past 5k as well without the 2-step active. I'm under 4% slip thru the traps at 6200rpm with the 9.5" PTC (14 stator). Trying to launch in 1st over 5k and 16ish lbs probably won't work well... may blow that rear end in a hurry too! Might try foot brake stuff till you can get a rearend under there. Also the taller you go on the gearing the weaker they get. A 2.7x is a pretty weak gear in general...even in a 9".

Good luck!
https://www.ringpinion.com/Technical...ze_matters.inc
Old 02-26-2017, 06:42 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Game ova
Yea, I'm now beginning to wonder if my clutch was slipping when I still had the t56...car seems to pull MUCH harder now.

It's a PTC unit. I may have altered the stall speed (slightly) inadvertently, as I restricted the converter feed circuit to keep from killing my thrust bearings.
Did you use a jet/cylinoid kit from a company or restrict it in the pump itself?
Any way to monitor cooler line pressure? I think it needs to be around 100psi ish.
Old 02-26-2017, 06:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by droksformula
Did you use a jet/cylinoid kit from a company or restrict it in the pump itself?
Any way to monitor cooler line pressure? I think it needs to be around 100psi ish.
I haven't check cooler line pressure. I restricted in the pump.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:10 PM
TECH Regular

I haven't check cooler line pressure. I restricted in the pump.
Did you drill/tap and put a jet or something? .110 or near that? Just curious as I've been doing research on the th400 swap and trying to cover all my bases.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Did you drill/tap and put a jet or something? .110 or near that? Just curious as I've been doing research on the th400 swap and trying to cover all my bases.
I used a 5/16 18 pitch set screw, tapped the converter feed hole....screwed it down in the hole and drilled it .110. I went that small because of the fixed/high line pressure. From what I've seen, if you're still running a low pressure pump spring you don't have to go that small.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:18 PM
TECH Regular

I used a 5/16 18 pitch set screw, tapped the converter feed hole....screwed it down in the hole and drilled it .110. I went that small because of the fixed/high line pressure. From what I've seen, if you're still running a low pressure pump spring you don't have to go that small.
What kind of pressure you running 220+?
Old 02-26-2017, 08:23 PM
TECH Junkie

What kind of pressure you running 220+?
All of it! Lol, nah...I have no idea really. This tranny shifts so hard that I'm sure I have more than plenty.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:46 PM
9 Second Club

Great post. Sounds good. Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 186 Likes on 136 Posts

My th400 has the pump mod done to it (sorry I don't know the size of the hole) and it's roughly 65 psi at an idle. It'll knock your teeth out when it shifts second and third is nice and firm also. From what I understand, the converter turns into a pump once the RPMs increase which can put a strain on the thrust if the base pressure is too high.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 3 window
My th400 has the pump mod done to it (sorry I don't know the size of the hole) and it's roughly 65 psi at an idle. It'll knock your teeth out when it shifts second and third is nice and firm also. From what I understand, the converter turns into a pump once the RPMs increase which can put a strain on the thrust if the base pressure is too high.
It sure will kill a motor...and QUICK. Was reading about this very subject and a guy that was running a dune buggy race type of vehicle destroyed his thrust bearings within 7 hrs of running it. And his motor was brand new, I decided right then that I would be restricting mine.
Old 02-27-2017, 02:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you miss street driving the 6 speed? I can't convince myself to go auto since I don't want to put a cage in the car.
Old 02-27-2017, 02:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by CyberGrey Z28
Do you miss street driving the 6 speed? I can't convince myself to go auto since I don't want to put a cage in the car.
Funny you ask this, as I was driving to work last night (mainly freeway) I did think about the t56. With 273s and the 400 I felt like the car was buzzing pretty good, not sure how fast I was going but the motor was running 2500. Also had one of those "glad no one saw that" moments, I hopped in the car more than once reaching for the clutch to start the car. But overall I'm happy with the swap, I can already tell the car is much faster than it ever was with the6 speed. And shout out to PTC, this converter is straight business.....it's a bit mushy down low out of boost. But when you get into boost or flat out mat it, it tightens up nicely and it's hard to tell that it's not a lockup converter. Not sure what the car will run like at the track, but whatever it runs...I'm still not going to hack my car up putting a cage In it.
Old 02-27-2017, 06:57 AM
TECH Regular

this is all very exciting as i have an almost identical converter, similar power and similar weight

And the same shift.

Mine should be done with in the month and im glad your liking it.

Quick Reply: Th400 First drive impression.