Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Why no inline "booster" pumps?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 03:10 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

So a few guys have mentioned the AEM 50-1005 inline pump here...

One says theirs leaks like ****. I did see that mentioned by another user somewhere too.

I've had my pair running for less than 1000 miles, and already one is making a horrendous noise and flow is compromised...although it is still pumping some.

Are these things a piece of **** or what ? I knew I was taking a risk swapping out the 044's ! But **** me, to fail this quick ? lol
Old 05-01-2017, 03:17 PM
8 Second Club

Received 731 Likes on 536 Posts

Did you contact AEM and ask them what the deal is? I think there may be some counterfeit’s going around. I see them pop up for about $100 at times on E-bay/AMAZON from unknown vendors. (or at least unknown to me). I spoke to an AEM rep and he said they would be losing money selling them at those prices and he doubted the pumps were legit.

I’m not sure what the deal is I picked mine up off ebay over a year ago from one of those unknown sellers for $128. Wondering if I got hosed as well. Just got the car up and running, so no real testing yet.

On a side note roastin240 did a little testing on the 044 clones and ran one at 100psi for 1 hour. Said it got noticeably louder after the test, but continued to pump fuel. Might be a trait of crap pumps.
Old 05-01-2017, 04:19 PM
9 Second Club

I bought from a UK seller, "Fuel Performance" who sell a lot of kit on ebay.

Oddly they have told me to contact AEM for an RMA before they can warranty it. I've told them I will email AEM to humour them, but my contract is with the seller and if they dont sort it out I'll go through trading standards and let them deal with it.

I knew I was taking a huge risk deviating from the tried and tested 044, but on paper the additional flow from the AEM would have been helpful.

Not much ******* use if they only last a few hundred miles though !
Old 05-01-2017, 06:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Fuel pump testing in various configurations is about to start. Stay tuned for all the upcoming data. Initial testing I performed confirmed these cheap Bosch 044 pumps rated at 70psi max had no problem making 120psi....although flow dropped alot as expected (hard numbers will be recorded with a flow meter during upcoming subsequent testing). I'm not posting more until I finish all testing. There is still a lot to do. I finally received what I think are all of the parts that ForceFed86 ordered for me to do the tests. The rest of the parts I am still working on sourcing for free or as cheap as possible.
Old 05-01-2017, 06:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those who are running the pumps in parallel, what kind of mounting/fitting set up are you guys running or would recommend that'll provide a fairly compact set up?
Old 05-01-2017, 06:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by roastin240
Fuel pump testing in various configurations is about to start. Stay tuned for all the upcoming data. Initial testing I performed confirmed these cheap Bosch 044 pumps rated at 70psi max had no problem making 120psi....although flow dropped alot as expected (hard numbers will be recorded with a flow meter during upcoming subsequent testing). I'm not posting more until I finish all testing. There is still a lot to do. I finally received what I think are all of the parts that ForceFed86 ordered for me to do the tests. The rest of the parts I am still working on sourcing for free or as cheap as possible.
Did you test the REAL 044s as well? In back to back they tested significant better than the China copies up top.

thanks for the effort BTW
Old 05-02-2017, 07:59 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Don Nguyen
For those who are running the pumps in parallel, what kind of mounting/fitting set up are you guys running or would recommend that'll provide a fairly compact set up?
Up to each user and what space they have available really.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
So a few guys have mentioned the AEM 50-1005 inline pump here...

One says theirs leaks like ****. I did see that mentioned by another user somewhere too.

I've had my pair running for less than 1000 miles, and already one is making a horrendous noise and flow is compromised...although it is still pumping some.

Are these things a piece of **** or what ? I knew I was taking a risk swapping out the 044's ! But **** me, to fail this quick ? lol
I got one from Amazon for $112 and it leaked instantly. Sent that back and got one from Summit and its been fine.
Old 05-02-2017, 11:42 AM
8 Second Club

Did summit match the amazon price?
Old 05-02-2017, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
Did summit match the amazon price?
I did not try that. Needed the pump asap so I just bought it.
Old 05-02-2017, 11:46 AM
8 Second Club

Bummer it leaked. I saved that same Amazon link you posted for $114. It's now at $149.
Old 05-02-2017, 05:51 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by coltboostin
Did you test the REAL 044s as well? In back to back they tested significant better than the China copies up top.

thanks for the effort BTW
Nope. No one wants to fork out the costs involved to test them and I dont blame them. The main reason to run all of these tests is to see how different configurations perform from a comparative standpoint (series and parallel configurations) as that seems to be the real debate here. As far as the ACTUAL flow of the brand name pumps, that data is out there for most of them. I also plan on grabbing some data on my current fuel system (walbro 255 and walbro 450). I will run each by themselves and then both in parallel through the -8 merge I have in the car. Its already built and in the car, just have to hook up to the main feed on the flow meter portion of the test stand I am building right now.
Old 05-02-2017, 05:53 PM
TECH Resident

If anyone wants any fuel pump tested, now is the time. PM me if you want to ship the pump (or pumps) to me and then ship back along with whatever necessary fittings to adapt into the flow test stand (we will discuss this) and I can produce additional data for the write-up I will be posting when I complete the fabrication and testing.
Old 05-02-2017, 11:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I for one, would like to say thanks Roastin240 for all the effort.

If you have the time and motivation, I think it would be cool to see if there is any benefit to having the booster pump before vs after the main pump. Even try swapping the big and little pump around too. Using your pumps for example:

450 main pump feeding a 255 booster pump
450 booster pump feeding a 255 main pump
255 main pump feeding a 450 booster pump
255 booster pump feeding a 450 main pump

This way you could also see if/how much the booster pump is restricting flow of the main pump when not in operation.

I know it's easy for me to request all this when I'm not the one actually doing the work, but if there's something you see merit in testing, I'd sure like to see the results.
Old 05-03-2017, 09:38 AM
8 Second Club

Pretty excited to see the results as well! Curious if the stress test pump is not pumping out less fuel than the unused pumps as well. Or if it’s just “loud” at this point.
Old 05-03-2017, 01:59 PM
TECH Resident

I hear what your saying and those tests would be great to see Ben. But The fuel tank with the pumps and lines and everything are already installed in my vehicle, so I am not going to remove all of that for testing. The first pump can either be the 255 OR the 450. Another thing is I dont think many people will actually buy and use these cheap 044 knock offs. I could do a comparative test though between no downstream booster pump and with a downstream booster pump. For example:

1. Walbro 450 with and without the 044 knock off booster (compare data)
2. Walbro 255 with and without the 044 knock off booster (compare data)
3. Both Walbros mentioned above in parallel, feeding a single booster pump and without that single booster pump. This would lend you to comparative data...but not necessarily the actual flow with a brand name pump because they all flow different amounts.

I will flow test all 3 pumps ForceFed to see the variance before starting all the tests. This will answer your question as well as the repeatability of 2 untouched knock off pumps. I would guess that the variance would be higher than that of a brand name pump as tolerances are not as much of a concern and very little to no QC is performed on this cheap china stuff. We shall see though Also the sample size of 3 pumps is not really enough to make an assumption to what I just sais. You could take this as far as you want you know....I am going to do as much as possible within a reasonable amount of time and available parts. Currently we have 3 different types of pumps and 5 pumps total. Some logical conclusions should be made from all of this and I hope it helps us all make decisions based on each persons goals, available funds and available time when putting together a new fuel system or upgrading an already maxed out fuel system.
Old 05-16-2017, 03:02 PM
8 Second Club

Hows the great pump test going?
Old 05-17-2017, 12:04 PM
TECH Resident

Picking back up where I left off this upcoming weekend. I had to order a few fittings and just got them in, and I also had a family emergency and left the state for a while. I will keep you posted
Old 05-19-2017, 11:30 AM
8 Second Club

Never noticed these $65 "380 lph" pumps before.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOSTPLUS-380...JZCnyj&vxp=mtr

Or these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/QUANTUM-380L...dY7qMm&vxp=mtr

Claim the same 71gph at 120psi claims that the AEM pumps do.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:36 PM
9 Second Club

Seeing **** like that causes me great concern about the AEM in case it is just chinese ***** !

Quick Reply: Why no inline "booster" pumps?