Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

6.0 keeps breaking ringlands

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 01:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Throw that wideband in the garbage. Its not reading correctly. Its LEAN!!! Timing is fine.
Old 05-22-2017, 03:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 05-22-2017, 03:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Old 05-22-2017, 03:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Old 05-22-2017, 03:27 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It would be helpful to see the face of one of the pistons from the first failure, that broke lands, but not the top land. Looks like maybe the two on the left of the first piston carnage pics might be good to see.

Sorry to keep ya posting pics.
Old 05-22-2017, 03:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Do you have a copy of your stock tune?
Old 05-22-2017, 03:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

How old is the sensor on that AEM and has it ever been checked against a known good one?

My experience is that due to the rowdy mixture when you first fire up and start tuning that the Wideband o2 used like the AEM or a LM1 uses it it good for maybe 2 new engines then its starting to fall way off on accuracy (I'm tuning NA motors with 15:1 compression usually so the life is really short.. ) Initial startups are usually pig fat on mixture.. Especially on a mechanical injected motor..

Used to have a actual gas analyser to go with the wide bands was an awesome combo but the manufacturer went belly up and the parts went away.. I miss that piece of junk some times..
Old 05-22-2017, 04:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead
How old is the sensor on that AEM and has it ever been checked against a known good one?

My experience is that due to the rowdy mixture when you first fire up and start tuning that the Wideband o2 used like the AEM or a LM1 uses it it good for maybe 2 new engines then its starting to fall way off on accuracy (I'm tuning NA motors with 15:1 compression usually so the life is really short.. ) Initial startups are usually pig fat on mixture.. Especially on a mechanical injected motor..

Used to have a actual gas analyser to go with the wide bands was an awesome combo but the manufacturer went belly up and the parts went away.. I miss that piece of junk some times..
Are you using leaded gas?
Old 05-22-2017, 06:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Im no tuning guru but it sure looks like those 2 pistons to the right melted down . = lean.
Old 05-22-2017, 06:31 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

I think you need to find a "tuner" that has a clue what they're doing !

Or you'll be on a long path of replacing lots of engines lol
Old 05-22-2017, 07:41 PM
Staging Lane

The gauge is brand new and I plugged in my old one and the rear the same. The pictures of the logs you posted are both at 0 tps just coasting I would guess. The truck runs 13 to 14 afr according to my gauge which may be wrong when I'm not in boost. I'm not going to just give up because I blew an engine. I'll take a picture of the faces of the pistons but I'm guessing it's running leaner than it says which was killing it. It just smells so rich when it runs 10 that I figured it was accurate. I'll try another sensor on the engine that's in it
Old 05-22-2017, 08:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dylanplace
The gauge is brand new and I plugged in my old one and the rear the same. The pictures of the logs you posted are both at 0 tps just coasting I would guess. The truck runs 13 to 14 afr according to my gauge which may be wrong when I'm not in boost. I'm not going to just give up because I blew an engine. I'll take a picture of the faces of the pistons but I'm guessing it's running leaner than it says which was killing it. It just smells so rich when it runs 10 that I figured it was accurate. I'll try another sensor on the engine that's in it
The TPS was 100% you can see it in the pictures.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:13 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by sbcgenII
The TPS was 100% you can see it in the pictures.
your right. I was looking at the pedal position
Old 05-22-2017, 10:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
I think you need to find a "tuner" that has a clue what they're doing !

Or you'll be on a long path of replacing lots of engines lol
Do not knock a man that is at least putting forth the effort to learn how to get his vehicle where he wants it to be. Do you think these so called reputable tuners came out of the womb with a laptop and wideband making miraculous tunes .... no... they had to learn just like everyone else. Yes, it sucks that he's burned two motors down, but in the end he will have knowledge that will keep him from throwing away 5-700 a pop EACH TIME for some guy to tune his ride...like most people around this forum. This isn't meant to be mean spirited towards you, I just hate it when people just say "pay someone/have someone else do it", instead of encouraging the man and helping him to at some point being knowledgeable enough to be self sufficient.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:17 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Game ova
Do not knock a man that is at least putting forth the effort to learn how to get his vehicle where he wants it to be. Do you think these so called reputable tuners came out of the womb with a laptop and wideband making miraculous tunes .... no... they had to learn just like everyone else. Yes, it sucks that he's burned two motors down, but in the end he will have knowledge that will keep him from throwing away 5-700 a pop EACH TIME for some guy to tune his ride...like most people around this forum. This isn't meant to be mean spirited towards you, I just hate it when people just say "pay someone/have someone else do it", instead of encouraging the man and helping him to at some point being knowledgeable enough to be self sufficient.
I appreciate that because that's what I want. I could kill 10 engines and won't stop because I want to learn and I appreciate all the help I've been given so far
Old 05-22-2017, 10:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

man them screen shots sbcgen2 posted are the whole story.
commanding 11.3 and getting 13
Old 05-23-2017, 04:35 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Game ova

Then learn what needs done to be safe..prior to blowing **** up ?

And no, most reputable tuners were doing it before laptops and widebands existed. The problem usually arises when it's "tuners" who think all they need is a laptop and wideband but no knowledge on the subject.

First blow up....ok...repair it and fix the problem.

But to do the exact same thing to another engine without fixing the cause...is just crazy. So ok...go for a 3rd engine..4th, but that's just silly really.

I'm all for people learning, but when they're saying their tune was good but they've blown up 2 engines already.....really, think about that for a second. That doesnt shout to me that someone actually is learning.

Whether that learning then comes from books or online, or perhaps from other sources, that is up to them of course. But how people then interpret any of that info can be another matter.
Old 05-23-2017, 05:07 AM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Weird I've tuned tons of cars, trucks diesel / gas, dirtbikes, snowmobiles and you name it I've never blown up a single engine. All engines want the same thing in the general scheme of the mix, but there are many different tools and ways to achieve the same end results. If you can't read the signs you need to do some more homework on the subject until you know what you're actually looking at. Just because you are commanding 11:1 afr does not automatically mean you will have 11:1 afr, that is not how the stock computer works.

I did watch my dad melt down his turbo 2 stroke snowmobiles a few times though hahaha. Those are a bit finicky with carbs.
Old 05-23-2017, 12:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Dylanplace
I like this guys attitude, "not giving up". Even though he's killed to motors, with what he's learning......hes still money ahead in the long run. There's nothing more satisfying than being able to do any and everything in house, and it looks like this guy is on his way to just that. Don't let nay sayers drag you down man
Old 05-23-2017, 12:20 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Then learn what needs done to be safe..prior to blowing **** up ?

And no, most reputable tuners were doing it before laptops and widebands existed. The problem usually arises when it's "tuners" who think all they need is a laptop and wideband but no knowledge on the subject.

First blow up....ok...repair it and fix the problem.

But to do the exact same thing to another engine without fixing the cause...is just crazy. So ok...go for a 3rd engine..4th, but that's just silly really.

I'm all for people learning, but when they're saying their tune was good but they've blown up 2 engines already.....really, think about that for a second. That doesnt shout to me that someone actually is learning.

Whether that learning then comes from books or online, or perhaps from other sources, that is up to them of course. But how people then interpret any of that info can be another matter.
Thats not true. Im 31, laptops and the internet and all of that have been around my entire life. There arent many guys older then 50 that are tuning EFI cars.

And i disagree with almost everything youve said in this thread. i do agree he needs to take a step back and really look at whats going, ask questions and get advice, but whats he going to learn by giving up and paying someone to tune it?

You can read all you want. You can be the smartest internet troll on this planet, but none of that means **** without experience and that means blowing **** up.

And i dont see the OP in here complaining that he is tired of swinging motors into his vehicle so i say keep on trying.

Quick Reply: 6.0 keeps breaking ringlands