Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

EBay 3 inch cutout.....installed (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 12:59 PM
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 1bdbrd
And the cable operated ones rust very easily.

I wonder how much more reliable a boost actuated cutout would be?
defeats the purpose IMO. One of the best features is being able to open or close at a stoplight or during a cruise. Thats the "gotcha" effect. The car suddenly becomes silent there... anyone nearby starts thinking, "did the engine shut off? What just happened?" And then your car rips away in deathly silence (I used an OEM exhaust).

Most fun mod I ever did to any car.
Old 06-09-2017, 02:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by kingtal0n
defeats the purpose IMO. One of the best features is being able to open or close at a stoplight or during a cruise. Thats the "gotcha" effect. The car suddenly becomes silent there... anyone nearby starts thinking, "did the engine shut off? What just happened?" And then your car rips away in deathly silence (I used an OEM exhaust).

Agreed, LOVE the surprise factor. Just cruising around with the cutout closed, the car is whisper quiet....i mean to the point that most would think the car is stone stock, can't even hear the cam. But should something unexpected happen to "come up" as you are cruising......well.....
Old 06-10-2017, 01:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kingtal0n

When I mentioned manual, I was thinking like a cable actuated lever, so that it'd be instant.

Dunno if they even have something like that, but I have electric cut outs on mine.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I noticed the eBay ones open at 1 bar. Can I hook it to a MAC valve and my onboard compressor to open it manually and/or using my Holley EFI?

Mike
Old 06-12-2017, 11:17 AM
On The Tree

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by M_Minnick
I noticed the eBay ones open at 1 bar. Can I hook it to a MAC valve and my onboard compressor to open it manually and/or using my Holley EFI?

Mike
That should work fine. The ebay boost activated valves I have opened at
about 4psi.
Old 06-25-2017, 10:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Nathaninwa
I have had one on my 2j car for about 4 years now. It's hard to get them closed 100% and stay there, so I used a spare pwm output and apply 10% dc while idling, but let it leak on the highway where no one can hear it. Have it ran through a 2 way toggle, one opens it the other closes with the pwm
Old thread, but does pwm output stand for power window? I'm having the issue of keeping it all the way closed. And how did you have it apply 10%? I'm an electrical noob.
Old 06-25-2017, 10:27 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,743 Likes on 1,301 Posts

Originally Posted by Game ova
Old thread, but does pwm output stand for power window? I'm having the issue of keeping it all the way closed. And how did you have it apply 10%? I'm an electrical noob.
Pwm....pulse width modulated. I.e. instead of a continuous DC voltage applied to the motor it's a bunch of pulses. My China cutout came with a controller that must have a current sense in it too to kill power if it hits a stop or something. Took me like 4 hours of fitting and grinding to get it to clear the flanges and screws on the cutout to open and close all the way. The set screws are a good indicator if it's opening and closing a full 90 degrees.
Old 06-25-2017, 10:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ddnspider
Pwm....pulse width modulated. I.e. instead of a continuous DC voltage applied to the motor it's a bunch of pulses. My China cutout came with a controller that must have a current sense in it too to kill power if it hits a stop or something. Took me like 4 hours of fitting and grinding to get it to clear the flanges and screws on the cutout to open and close all the way. The set screws are a good indicator if it's opening and closing a full 90 degrees.
Thanks. It closes....it just rattles and backs off just enough to make the car sound absolutely HORRID. I find myself leaving the thing all the way open more than I care to. I prefer quiet over rowdy more often than not. Going to have to see if I can do what you guys did.
Old 06-26-2017, 04:49 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pwm, my standalone ecu has a few generic pwm outputs. I used a solid state relay in the glove box for this. I'd have to look at my wiring, but I'm able to open it, then shut it down, then turn it on and the motor closes with 10%dc. Think similar to an injector, your sending 12v to the motor only 10% of the time, which on a volt meter would read 2v, but since it is 12v amperage doesn't do anything goofy

Someone used to sell a standalone box for this, but they discontinued it. I think it was qtp
Old 06-26-2017, 06:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 525 Likes on 408 Posts

Forgive me for saying but this seems overly complex, I bought a QTP unit on Amazon, put positive and negative to it and its been money for two years now.
Doesn't leak or anything.
Old 06-26-2017, 06:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by The ******
Forgive me for saying but this seems overly complex, I bought a QTP unit on Amazon, put positive and negative to it and its been money for two years now.
Doesn't leak or anything.
I couldn't bring myself to pay hundreds of dollars for a motor with a blade on it.....just couldn't do it.
Old 06-27-2017, 09:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 525 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by Game ova
I couldn't bring myself to pay hundreds of dollars for a motor with a blade on it.....just couldn't do it.
I totally understand, I should be honest too.
The company I worked for gave Amazon cards as rewards for selling stuff so those covered the majority of the cost lol.
Point being, it gets opened and closed every time I drive the car and hasn't given me issue for two years so even though it's a little spendy its worth not having the head ache of a china unit.
Now that I wrote this its gonna go **** up on me the next time I drive the car...****.
Old 06-27-2017, 11:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very interested, can you post link to ebay cutout
Thanks
Old 06-27-2017, 11:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 1969LSX
very interested, can you post link to ebay cutout
Thanks
I misspoke, actually got it from Amazon.

Quick Reply: EBay 3 inch cutout.....installed (pics)