Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Need a little buying advise

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 04:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by kingtal0n
I am a poor student trying to tap into the power of the LS platform. All engine operate with similar principles, a "piston engine" I have seen enough to avoid many common mistakes/myths, and science/math background helps see more at once.

I saw my first LS engine in person January of this year. 5/17/17 it had about 100 miles on it, in a swap. Today, over 300 miles. In a backyard, on grass and dirt, with regular hand tools, and an engine lift at least 15 years old, if I can do it anybody can do it. Everything I could stop to take a picture of, turned into a tech picture, and was posted to LS1tech for reference. Then, by putting mileage on it, I can find out if it was done properly, if it will last, and make reports to help others make decisions, hopefully adding to the SBE reliability list and ultimately a completed build thread I can walk away from. My random 5.3 engine going 20,000 miles would be remarkable, let alone 100k at some significant 450-550 rwhp as a daily driver at 30mpg, actually reliable like that for what you pay is... well lets just say I can't believe I can afford to go that fast with just plain old gasoline with nearly no income.

I attached some of tech pics, helpful reminders from the FSM or proven methods. I'd like to eventually post all the pics somewhere but right now storage space isn't a priority, tuna fish and chicken is. Internet posting is fun, it is popcorn, it can be helpful also. My posting would never be intended to hurt or add untruth on purpose but of course enough people read the same thing 1 of them eventually has to take it the wrong way.
Respect for working on your own car, some of the people around here that do the most chirping...aren't really about that life.
Old 07-13-2017, 06:11 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,747 Likes on 1,304 Posts

Originally Posted by Game ova
Respect for working on your own car, some of the people around here that do the most chirping...aren't really about that life.
​​​​​​And some people can only turn a wrench and don't understand how to design anything.
Old 07-13-2017, 06:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ddnspider
​​​​​​And some people can only turn a wrench and don't understand how to design anything.
I respect a man that's out in his garage making it happen, as opposed to some guy talking a big game. But in reality, does nothing more than take a computer printout to his "builder"....and says build this. All the while getting hosed.
Old 07-13-2017, 06:34 PM
10 Second Club

I respect a man that's out in his garage making it happen, as opposed to some guy talking a big game. But in reality, does nothing more than take a computer printout to his "builder"....and says build this. All the while getting hosed.
Because building a motor is the only part of a car? I've already hashed this out with you and you choose to not understand. Anyone can build a motor. Call me when you've designed a turbocharger like I have. I worked 2 jobs, while going to school for 2 engineering degrees, while designing AND building a CAR, not a motor, that made the cover of 2 national magazines. I have exactly dick to prove to you. Your old man arrogance is embarrassing.
Old 07-13-2017, 06:56 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by kingtal0n
I am a poor student trying to tap into the power of the LS platform. All engine operate with similar principles, a "piston engine" I have seen enough to avoid many common mistakes/myths, and science/math background helps see more at once.

I saw my first LS engine in person January of this year. 5/17/17 it had about 100 miles on it, in a swap. Today, over 300 miles. In a backyard, on grass and dirt, with regular hand tools, and an engine lift at least 15 years old, if I can do it anybody can do it. Everything I could stop to take a picture of, turned into a tech picture, and was posted to LS1tech for reference. Then, by putting mileage on it, I can find out if it was done properly, if it will last, and make reports to help others make decisions, hopefully adding to the SBE reliability list and ultimately a completed build thread I can walk away from. My random 5.3 engine going 20,000 miles would be remarkable, let alone 100k at some significant 450-550 rwhp as a daily driver at 30mpg, actually reliable like that for what you pay is... well lets just say I can't believe I can afford to go that fast with just plain old gasoline with nearly no income.

I attached some of tech pics, helpful reminders from the FSM or proven methods. I'd like to eventually post all the pics somewhere but right now storage space isn't a priority, tuna fish and chicken is. Internet posting is fun, it is popcorn, it can be helpful also. My posting would never be intended to hurt or add untruth on purpose but of course enough people read the same thing 1 of them eventually has to take it the wrong way.
Pm sent.
Old 07-13-2017, 09:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ddnspider
Because building a motor is the only part of a car? I've already hashed this out with you and you choose to not understand. Anyone can build a motor. Call me when you've designed a turbocharger like I have. I worked 2 jobs, while going to school for 2 engineering degrees, while designing AND building a CAR, not a motor, that made the cover of 2 national magazines. I have exactly dick to prove to you. Your old man arrogance is embarrassing.
What's embarrassing is, you come on here with your snide..condescending attitude/remarks, but it comes to light that you're nothing more than a check writer. No one cares about your job.. school...degrees or car mag photo ops. And you paying people to build your stuff would be a non issue, if it wasn't for you popping off at the mouth and not practicing what you preach.
Old 07-14-2017, 06:13 AM
10 Second Club

What's embarrassing is, you come on here with your snide..condescending attitude/remarks, but it comes to light that you're nothing more than a check writer. No one cares about your job.. school...degrees or car mag photo ops. And you paying people to build your stuff would be a non issue, if it wasn't for you popping off at the mouth and not practicing what you preach.
Now I'm confused...old men usually aren't e-thugs. Huh, Maybe you can teach an old dog new tricks. I wrench plenty, I just don't feel the need to brag about it. I feel sorry for you that that's all you have to hang your hat on. GLW that.
Old 07-14-2017, 08:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

damn, get a room you two
Old 07-14-2017, 09:23 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by truckdoug
damn, get a room you two
I would love to keep it technical since this is mostly a technical forum. That doesn't seem to be possible for some reason.

Yes, I don't work on my car as much as I would like to....usually because I'm working on OTHER peoples cars. I try to provide useful information specific to LS stuff, not try to correlate info from other sometimes old technology that doesnt translate over. I'm working on another technical sticky for another section of this forum. Dunno, guess you can't please everybody.
Old 07-14-2017, 11:00 AM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Truck manifolds TTMFT!!

Been 170mph in the 1/4 on factory truck manifolds and plan to go faster, change spark plug in 10mins, and didn't cost a $1000+!
Old 07-14-2017, 12:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 557 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by transam69230
Truck manifolds TTMFT!!

Been 170mph in the 1/4 on factory truck manifolds and plan to go faster, change spark plug in 10mins, and didn't cost a $1000+!
^^^This.
Old 07-14-2017, 12:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by truckdoug
damn, get a room you two
Lol, ok ok...im done. It's just when I see this guy downing others, and in my case always talking about "bought not built".....but all the while paying others to build his stuff....it just doesn't fly. If you are going to sing that song, you had better be building EVERY component in your car. And no, I'm by no means "bragging" as I had many questions when building my transmission... But the entire drivetrain was built by me, transmission build/swap and all, and all of it can be verified on here. Meanwhile this poser is paying various builders, which to me means "bought not built". And to be clear, it's not a bad thing to pay others to build your car. Some people don't have the mechanical aptitude, or their circumstances just don't allow.... And that's perfectly ok. It's just when you start running your mouth about a life that you aren't living.... that's when your card gets pulled. Rant over.
Old 07-14-2017, 01:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 557 Likes on 435 Posts

Lol, ok ok...im done. It's just when I see this guy downing others, and in my case always talking about "bought not built".....but all the while paying others to build his stuff....it just doesn't fly. If you are going to sing that song, you had better be building EVERY component in your car. And no, I'm by no means "bragging" as I had many questions when building my transmission... But the entire drivetrain was built by me, transmission build/swap and all, and all of it can be verified on here. Meanwhile this poser is paying various builders, which to me means "bought not built". And to be clear, it's not a bad thing to pay others to build your car. Some people don't have the mechanical aptitude, or their circumstances just don't allow.... And that's perfectly ok. It's just when you start running your mouth about a life that you aren't living.... that's when your card gets pulled. Rant over.
Lol. Preach, if I can't do it myself it doesn't get done except for tuning but that's gonna be in house soon too.
Champagne dreams on a Gatorade budget FTW.
I'm sure I'm not the only one who takes a lot of joy and pride in making stuff work and finding solutions to problems this hobby brings.
I think the consensus is run the headers if your gonna bed mount, if you want the best performance from your turbo then put it in the engine bay and use stock manifolds.
Old 07-14-2017, 01:22 PM
10 Second Club

Same goes for people posting up how fast their car WILL be. The great thing is everyone is entitled to their perception of stuff.....even if it is skewed. I look forward to you posting up soon when your Camaro with 100 more hp and a turbo 400 goes quicker than I did in in my 6 speed TA.

Quick Reply: Need a little buying advise