Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

4.8 or 5.3 pros and cons for turbo build

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 05:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.8 or 5.3 pros and cons for turbo build

Hello everybody. I have a question ,really need the input of the turbo guys here. I'm starting to put together a small little LS that's going to be going in my 85 Monte Carlo ,good old G body. My 2000 TA has heads cam intake etc. but is too pretty and worth too much to me to chop it up to make a race car,so monte it is lol. Now to my questions. I have a fairly good amount experience with the 5.7 LS1, nitrous/tuning/etc. and have rebuilt the motor and the tremec myself, but I am new to the turbo field. I'm hearing different things from different people when it comes to using the 4.8 or the 5.3. Also what kind of turbo to use. I would really rather stick to one single large Turbo not a twin. I'm hoping to see around 7 to 800hp on the motor with a good amount of boost and meth. As with all things it's going to be on a budget so no $4000 turbo LOL Is this possible? Also if anybody has any preference in engine control/tuning software that works better on a turbo setup please chime in. Planning on goin microsquirt but..?Also if somebody has a combo close to what I am describing let me know the numbers/how easy was it to tune?
Thanks in advance!
Old 08-10-2017, 05:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Do a search on Youtube for Sloppy Mechanics and or do a google search. Sit back and watch, all of your questions will be answered. Done.

Stampede,
Old 08-10-2017, 05:32 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Stampede4ever
Do a search on Youtube for Sloppy Mechanics and or do a google search. Sit back and watch, all of your questions will be answered. Done.

Stampede,
I have read and watched so much stuff already I just wanted to talk to somebody That had actually done it themselves or had any input that was not on the videos / write-ups that everyone has access too.
Old 08-10-2017, 05:47 PM
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I did my first LS swap recently (4-17-17 got it running/driving) single turbo and so far it was exactly what I thought it would be. Hardest non-swap related job was the turbo plumbing fabrication which took approx 20 hours for the major up front crossover stuff, and most of a downpipe, we used a cheap 220V harbor freight gas shielded mig with some high quality filler materials. You have to pay attention to things like oil line orientation, and shield/wrap/coat everything in sight.

If you have more specific questions please fire away Ill do my best. I have approx 800 miles on my swap so far, running about 7psi of boost atm, currently waiting on some intercooler plumbing. It isn't done yet by any means, but I am good enough mechanic to drive a swap before its done.

One of best part about turbocharging the LS engine is that you can easily pass the OEM bottom end limit for horsepower without doing anything to the engine at all. In other words, a $400 junkyard LS can put out 500-600 horsepower easily without being opened up at all, enough to ruin the engine if you kept turning it up more and more. It eliminates the need for expensive engine parts, like cam/heads/intake related stuff. This way you avoid the machine shop, avoid assembly errors, avoid downtime. Just swap in and go. Blow it up? Swap in another one and go again.
Old 08-10-2017, 06:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by kingtal0n
I did my first LS swap recently (4-17-17 got it running/driving) single turbo and so far it was exactly what I thought it would be. Hardest non-swap related job was the turbo plumbing fabrication which took approx 20 hours for the major up front crossover stuff, and most of a downpipe, we used a cheap 220V harbor freight gas shielded mig with some high quality filler materials. You have to pay attention to things like oil line orientation, and shield/wrap/coat everything in sight.

If you have more specific questions please fire away Ill do my best. I have approx 800 miles on my swap so far, running about 7psi of boost atm, currently waiting on some intercooler plumbing. It isn't done yet by any means, but I am good enough mechanic to drive a swap before its done.

One of best part about turbocharging the LS engine is that you can easily pass the OEM bottom end limit for horsepower without doing anything to the engine at all. In other words, a $400 junkyard LS can put out 500-600 horsepower easily without being opened up at all, enough to ruin the engine if you kept turning it up more and more. It eliminates the need for expensive engine parts, like cam/heads/intake related stuff. This way you avoid the machine shop, avoid assembly errors, avoid downtime. Just swap in and go. Blow it up? Swap in another one and go again.
thanks for the reply and yes I plan on doing the junkyard short block thing for quite a while and see what will do LOL if you don't mind me asking what size LS did you go with what turbo did you go with?
Old 08-10-2017, 06:28 PM
Banned

Well the rule of thumb in any car-performance ideal is " no replacement for displacement". Literally buy the biggest engine you can if they are all the same price. Otherwise, calculate the cost vs reward.

So, in the truck engine world, the 5.3 is practically free. The 6.0 is much more expensive and rare. So the 5.3 won. A 4.8 doesn't even blip on the radar given the already nearly-free pricetag of the 5.3

As to the turbo. I have been sizing turbochargers for almost 10 years for approx 100 cars (non-LS applications). For street cars I Like to pick an "OEM" equivalent turbo, i.e. a turbo which will reach its power potential limit right around where the max power desired from AN OEM engine will wind up. In other words, if you desire 600hp from the engine, I will want my turbo to be almost running off the edge of the map around 600hp. This makes for the best response from the unit while also not over-flowing it.

I've attached the map. This is the S364 Borg warner, charted to a mild 5.3 (bigger than a stock cam). And you can see that it still won't quite fall off the map even with some reasonable VE from the engine. The turbo is considered "small" in the LS community (I don't know and have never seen anybody else use one this small) yet this 'fact' boggles my mind considering this unit provides nearly 800 horsepower max output (at boost regions higher than I will run it) so it is literally more turbo than I need already, I could not imagine something even larger.
Attached Thumbnails 4.8 or 5.3 pros and cons for turbo build-my5.3turbolsx.png  
Old 08-10-2017, 09:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

As it's been said 4.8 are super cheap. 5.3 are slightly more expensive but much more plentiful if you blow it up. Otherwise the difference isn't that noticeable
Old 08-11-2017, 07:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 78 Posts

Stampede,
^^^^ This...
Old 08-11-2017, 08:21 AM
Teching In

yea I have been watching many of his videos,seems fairly simple producing massive amounts of hpwithoit spending 8k to build a engine. Ran through the local yards yesterday afternoon and found about 9 T vin 5.3s ,350-450 a piece pulled,so I might be going 5.3 instead of 4.8 but I like the rod ratio of the 4.8 more. We will see. Either way it looks fun lol. Stepping out of my nitrous comfort zone and to a turbo is the only thing worrying me,and it's the Tuning aspect really only that I was worried about.but it seems pretty straight forward. When I start I will document and open a build thread with photos.
Old 08-11-2017, 08:31 AM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JoshL83
I have read and watched so much stuff already I just wanted to talk to somebody That had actually done it themselves or had any input that was not on the videos / write-ups that everyone has access too.
Apparently you haven't watched any of Matt's videos, because he's tried every possible combination for the ls platform.
Old 08-11-2017, 08:47 AM
Restricted User

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

I didn't even read kingtal0n's replies, but just ignore anything he posts on here whether its correct or not (probably not). He just started his first LS swap even though he's been trolling this place since 2011.

You can watch the Sloppy Mechanics stuff, but there are like 1000+ videos so you better take a day off. There are a few dozen combos in those videos that should give you most of the info you want.

The search feature on this site works as well, so does just scrolling through the forced induction section trying to find a topic that closely resembles what you're wanting to do.
Old 08-11-2017, 08:53 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JoeNova
I didn't even read kingtal0n's replies, but just ignore anything he posts on here whether its correct or not (probably not). He just started his first LS swap even though he's been trolling this place since 2011.

You can watch the Sloppy Mechanics stuff, but there are like 1000+ videos so you better take a day off. There are a few dozen combos in those videos that should give you most of the info you want.

The search feature on this site works as well, so does just scrolling through the forced induction section trying to find a topic that closely resembles what you're wanting to do.
thanks Joe and everyone else that has commented,and yes I've been reading anything I can get my hands on when it comes to a turbo swap on this form the G body form and all the YouTube . I just like to be greatly informed before I start any project. I don't want to throw a rod or break a ring land or exc because of a small issue that could of been avoided lol. I do have past experience building engines, transmissions and dragracing but can never have enough information 👍
Old 08-12-2017, 02:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I didn't read through all the responses, but in answer to your original guestion, If your decided to go with a 4.8/5.3 I can't Think of any cons, I mean blow that bi#h up and get another one lol! I like the idea of meth as safety net/get you to the power level you want. I personally feel that a "few missing cubes" can easily be offset by a few more lbs of boost!
Also, as 6.0s seem to be cast from solid gold, what's more fun than having a "smaller" motor and being dumb fast
Old 08-12-2017, 07:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Stampede,
This!

Originally Posted by 408GT
Apparently you haven't watched any of Matt's videos, because he's tried every possible combination for the ls platform.
Exactly! You can lead a horse to water...............
Old 08-12-2017, 10:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 537 Likes on 381 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Disregard kingtalon's BS about pushing the bottom end to the limit without opening the engine. With anything other than mild amounts of boost you WILL need to upgrade the valve springs. Once you upgrade the valve springs the pushrods will start to flex, so you need to upgrade those as well. After those issues are taken into account, you should be good until you start wanting more than 1000 hp. I would personally go with the smaller 4.8 for a dragstrip queen, or the larger 5.3 for a street motor. My reasoning is that the smaller motor can make more hp for a given turbo size, but the larger motor has more torque for street use off-boost.
Old 08-13-2017, 09:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by gametech
Disregard kingtalon's BS about pushing the bottom end to the limit without opening the engine. With anything other than mild amounts of boost you WILL need to upgrade the valve springs. Once you upgrade the valve springs the pushrods will start to flex, so you need to upgrade those as well. After those issues are taken into account, you should be good until you start wanting more than 1000 hp. I would personally go with the smaller 4.8 for a dragstrip queen, or the larger 5.3 for a street motor. My reasoning is that the smaller motor can make more hp for a given turbo size, but the larger motor has more torque for street use off-boost.
None of that **** is in the bottom end. lrn2terminology

people here love to hate on me because I'm smurf. They blindly post whatever nonsense followed by my name, in the hopes that new comers will be swayed by the power of the forum's posting (as if a little box of text from one person is any better or more correct than any other) and their own ignorance. To this I say, use your head, dear reader, and you decide whats really going on.
Old 08-13-2017, 11:54 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

None of that **** is in the bottom end. lrn2terminology

people here love to hate on me because I'm smurf. They blindly post whatever nonsense followed by my name, in the hopes that new comers will be swayed by the power of the forum's posting (as if a little box of text from one person is any better or more correct than any other) and their own ignorance. To this I say, use your head, dear reader, and you decide whats really going on.
More unreadable BS.
Old 08-13-2017, 12:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by chiaj144
More unreadable BS.
"If this isn't making sense, that doesn't make it lies"

-soundgarden
Old 08-14-2017, 07:02 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,751 Likes on 1,307 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

......as if a little box of text from one person is any better or more correct than any other...
Actually one person's post usually IS better than anothers. Especially when false or misleading or unrelevent information is posted.....or when 2 sentences will answer the question instead of a long lengthy unnecessary post.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:20 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ddnspider
Actually one person's post usually IS better than anothers. Especially when false or misleading or unrelevent information is posted.....or when 2 sentences will answer the question instead of a long lengthy unnecessary post.

Oh come now. You have seen what happens when I try 2 sentence explanations. It still turns into a burnhouse in this forum because nobody can grasp what I was thinking with 2 sentances.

Get me some of that burn gel, so I can load it into my fire hydrant and douse the rats.

Quick Reply: 4.8 or 5.3 pros and cons for turbo build