Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo Size for LSS454 (sort of) 0411 BBC Chevelle

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 11:53 AM
Launching!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Turbo Size for LSS454 (sort of) 0411 BBC Chevelle

Hello,

What started as a simple transmission swap over in the conversion section of this forum has turned into a 12 bolt built rear, FLT Stage 4 4L60e, and 0411 ECU swap on a 72 Chevelle with an old school 454 BBC, now being called the LSS454 (I guess lol).

We've gotten a few good deals on some aftermarket parts and the project has just spiraled out of control. The car was done minus a blown transmission, and now its become something totally different. I have a steeroids rack and pinion setup on the way. Ill post a couple of pics here as well.

Enough background, here's my idea. Turbo it! I mean why not? I've already gone this far. And my 0411 should be able to control it. And I have a huge -8an fuel system with twin pumps. I'm not new to forced induction but everything has always had a centrifugal or roots blower. The 454 has hypereutectic pistons and factory rods and crank, ported heads, a cam... it flows well makes about 500hp. I have no goals at this point except more power. My approach is going to be to get this up and running now and maybe in the future forge the bottom end and turn it up. My questions are in regard to what size turbo (or which one specifically to use). I want to go single setup. Looking for something that spools quickly. Going on the smaller end is fine. I need input as to how much boost this setup should safely take. 6-8lbs? Not looking to break anything (except maybe the trans lol).

Dan
Old 08-19-2017, 05:01 PM
Launching!

Old 08-19-2017, 05:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I mean I've seen countless stock vehicles take out a 4l60 I'd say you are on borrowed time already. You're going to have to bump up to a 4l80 if you have any dreams of survival
Old 08-21-2017, 12:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Danspeed1
Hello,

What started as a simple transmission swap over in the conversion section of this forum has turned into a 12 bolt built rear, FLT Stage 4 4L60e, and 0411 ECU swap on a 72 Chevelle with an old school 454 BBC, now being called the LSS454 (I guess lol).

We've gotten a few good deals on some aftermarket parts and the project has just spiraled out of control. The car was done minus a blown transmission, and now its become something totally different. I have a steeroids rack and pinion setup on the way. Ill post a couple of pics here as well.

Enough background, here's my idea. Turbo it! I mean why not? I've already gone this far. And my 0411 should be able to control it. And I have a huge -8an fuel system with twin pumps. I'm not new to forced induction but everything has always had a centrifugal or roots blower. The 454 has hypereutectic pistons and factory rods and crank, ported heads, a cam... it flows well makes about 500hp. I have no goals at this point except more power. My approach is going to be to get this up and running now and maybe in the future forge the bottom end and turn it up. My questions are in regard to what size turbo (or which one specifically to use). I want to go single setup. Looking for something that spools quickly. Going on the smaller end is fine. I need input as to how much boost this setup should safely take. 6-8lbs? Not looking to break anything (except maybe the trans lol).

Dan
I really like that conversion you did, hats off, because thats bad ***.

I'd get a turbo cam spec'd and address the valve train if its not already ******* then look into building up a turbo kit to run on low boost until you forge the rest of the guts. The cam has much to do with how quickly it will spool and the manners you'll get out of it.

I'm no turbo expert, but with 454 cubes I would imagine you're looking at an 84mm or 88mm so the thing can breath

The biggest question is the budget.....how much can you spend to boost it?

I do wanna emphasize that I'm not an expert, but that I hope my $.02 helps lead you to the best solution available for your ride homie
Old 08-21-2017, 12:20 PM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

You have a twig bolted to the back of that 454.

What kind of budget?
A pair of Ebay GT45s work well as twins on a 454
Old 08-21-2017, 04:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

I thought the same thing Joe. I don't know how I could recommend a good turbo choice knowing he's running a 4l60. I'm afraid for it as it is.
Old 08-25-2017, 06:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by KingIntheNorth
I really like that conversion you did, hats off, because thats bad ***.

I'd get a turbo cam spec'd and address the valve train if its not already ******* then look into building up a turbo kit to run on low boost until you forge the rest of the guts. The cam has much to do with how quickly it will spool and the manners you'll get out of it.

I'm no turbo expert, but with 454 cubes I would imagine you're looking at an 84mm or 88mm so the thing can breath

The biggest question is the budget.....how much can you spend to boost it?

I do wanna emphasize that I'm not an expert, but that I hope my $.02 helps lead you to the best solution available for your ride homie
I'm going to get the specs for the engine next week. I was verbally told them over a year ago and I can't remember for the life of me. The car is cammed but as to whether the configuration is right is anyone's guess without the specs.

Budget.... HAHAHAHAHA .... Bankruptcy. My budget was for a rebuilt 700r4... a built 12 bolt, new 4L60e, custom harness, injectors, manifold, custom driveshaft later, does the budget really matter all that much?
Old 08-25-2017, 06:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JoeNova
You have a twig bolted to the back of that 454.

What kind of budget?
A pair of Ebay GT45s work well as twins on a 454
I'm seeing most people go twins but I think its really going to be overkill for what I am looking to achieve. I would like to go with a smaller sized turbo. Something that will spool quick and we can keep the boost level low. Just don't want to go to small where I am in boost all the time... building heat all the time, and choking the engine.

Dan
Old 08-25-2017, 06:23 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by silvea
I thought the same thing Joe. I don't know how I could recommend a good turbo choice knowing he's running a 4l60. I'm afraid for it as it is.
So your not looking forward to seeing my new trans scatter?

Quick Reply: Turbo Size for LSS454 (sort of) 0411 BBC Chevelle