Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Is this cam to much?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 08:19 PM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Is this cam to much?

Planning on running a torquestorm supercharger in a basically stock 5.3. Plan on using the truck intake and some long tube headers. Would this cam work out well? Anybody with a better idea?

http://shop.brutespeed.com/Brute-Speed-Forced-Induction-Camshaft-FREE-SHIPPING-Brute-Speed-Camshaft.htm
Old 08-20-2017, 08:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't say too much. It's a more mild form than tick performances all out 5.3 polluter cam but not by much. Just remember that's as extreme as grind for that application that isn't custom. So don't expect it to behave all that great.
Old 08-20-2017, 08:32 PM
Launching!

I thought about just calong comp and getting a custom grind. I was just looking at some of the stuff other places had " on the shelf" figured I'd ask around before I made up my mind.
Really just looking to build a street car with decent performance.
Old 08-20-2017, 08:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

I mean there are plenty of guys that drive magic sticks lol. Depends on how much you are willing to put up with. With an auto know you will have to have a big stall or on a 6 speed cruising through parking lots it will buck occasionally. I drove a torqued V2 with a 6 speed for a long time. No one could really hop in and drive it well but you'd never notice its bad behavior if I drive because I knew how to drive it. Custom cams are best but with your lack of mods someone like tick perf's 5.3 cam choices will serve you well. They are made for pretty generic engines. Their tow max cams are pretty rad. They shifted the peak torque super low for towing but in a street car it's a lot of usable torque at a lower rpm compared to something that peaks higher. That's if it's a street car with decent performance not a race car.
Old 08-21-2017, 03:04 AM
Launching!

They do have a nice selection for the 5.3's. Would the turbo cams work with a blower since I have seen alot of blower cams and turbo cams. Before I make a purchase I'll still call them, just would like to get some things nailed down before I do. As for a stall, I was planning on right around 3200 depending on what cam I actually went with.
Old 08-21-2017, 04:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Blower cams and turbo cams are quite different. Don't be fooled thinking a forced induction cam is a forced induction cam.
Old 08-21-2017, 07:07 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by silvea
Blower cams and turbo cams are quite different. Don't be fooled thinking a forced induction cam is a forced induction cam.
Thanks. I more or less figured since iv seen them labeled as such vs " forced induction". Do you think I'd just be better off altogether going with a custom cam even though it'll be a very mild stockist build?
Old 08-21-2017, 07:50 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by cypris09
Planning on running a torquestorm supercharger in a basically stock 5.3. Plan on using the truck intake and some long tube headers. Would this cam work out well? Anybody with a better idea?

http://shop.brutespeed.com/Brute-Spe...d-Camshaft.htm
With a basically stock 5.3 I would go with a smaller cam than my blower cam. An LS6 cam would actually work very well for what you're doing. It's too bad TorqStorm doesn't use a spring tensioner with their superchargers, slide tensioners don't work out well when customers want to add more boost to their blowers, as belt slippage becomes a big problem. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 08-21-2017, 10:25 AM
Launching!

It is a bit of a shame, but they said I should see 6 to 8 psi and some people claim to have 10 or 11 out of it. Sounds pretty good for me. Really think a plain ls6 cam would be better than a custom grind or maybe a different blower cam from someone else?
Old 08-21-2017, 10:37 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

The fixed idler will work at 6 to 8 psi but you have to keep the belt very tight. It is surprising to me they would incorporate a manual tensioner into their kits in today's market.

You'll more than likely get more power out of a custom grind cam for your 5.3, but if you can pick up a used LS6 cam at a good price, they work very well. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 08-21-2017, 12:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Bob@BruteSpeed
The fixed idler will work at 6 to 8 psi but you have to keep the belt very tight. It is surprising to me they would incorporate a manual tensioner into their kits in today's market.

You'll more than likely get more power out of a custom grind cam for your 5.3, but if you can pick up a used LS6 cam at a good price, they work very well. Bob
Appreciate the help guys. I'll probably keep my eyes out for a used ls6 cam just to price but I think I'll end up calling comp cams when the time comes and just get a custom grind.

Any recommendations as far as lifters or timing set goes? Should I just do stock replacements?
Old 08-21-2017, 12:35 PM
8 Second Club

Received 677 Likes on 500 Posts

I'm not a supercharger guy so by all means defer to Bob above.

Wouldn't the LS9 cam would work well too? They are $110 shipped new. (sometimes cheaper) Used LS6 cams are snatched up quick by all the turbo guys.
Old 08-21-2017, 02:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 177 Likes on 152 Posts

Curious if Comp offers an LS6 off the shelf replacement or what they would recommend for your combo.

LS6 cam specs here https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...aft-specs.html

Note 01 vs 02+.
Old 08-21-2017, 03:31 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by tblentrprz
Curious if Comp offers an LS6 off the shelf replacement or what they would recommend for your combo.

LS6 cam specs here https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...aft-specs.html

Note 01 vs 02+.
Interesting info for sure. I would have thought that someone would have basically made a off the shelf stock 5.3 blower cam to be honest. I'd like something that wI'll perform better than stock and will go even better with a supercharged motor. I understand I won't get a crazy idle note but I wouldn't mind something that doesn't sound stock. I understand that sound isn't performance by any means but this will be going in my 68 lemans so I'd like it to sounds it's part haha.
Old 08-21-2017, 03:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Get a small 5.7 blower cam. Or one custom spec it doesn't cost any more for a custom cam
Old 08-21-2017, 07:20 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by silvea
Get a small 5.7 blower cam. Or one custom spec it doesn't cost any more for a custom cam
Sounds like that'll be the plan. Now for the lifters and timing set. Do I get stock replacements or is there something that's an upgrade but won't break the bank?
Old 08-21-2017, 07:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Stock replacements are generally pretty solid. Ls2 timing chair set up and ls7 lifters. There are companies that sell them like comp for a few dollars more if you think comp has better engineering than multi billion dollar GM

Quick Reply: Is this cam to much?