Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo with NOS or Alky

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 11:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo with NOS or Alky

A question for you seasoned turbo/blower guys...
I can go in either direction just would like you thoughts both posative and negative.
I have the STS on my silverado SS GT67 @ 8-8.5 lbs boost and want to know if it would be most advantageous to go with a small shot of NOS say 35 or 50 shot OR a methanol injection kit from alky control.
I guess the NOS will give me more bang for my buck but for reliability and longevity who knows...

Your thoughts are apreciated in advance

ssblackss
Old 06-30-2004, 11:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

id say do the alki, you could probably make just as much or more HP compared to the small shot, with just using alki& water, and if you use meth, youd see more.
it prevents knock so reliabilty will be better.
Old 06-30-2004, 11:47 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where do you get the alky or meth? to refill?
Old 06-30-2004, 12:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

i buy my 100% meth from a go kart racing shop $5 a gallon. they have 100% nitromethane there too ;0
Old 06-30-2004, 01:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

You'll probably see a little more power out of the shot of N2O but not so much to make it worth the hassle. I haven't worked with Meth yet so i can't comment on that route. But Alky is relatively easy to find and should last you longer. Making it more cost effective.

The nice thing about N2O is, if you have the motor for it, you can always up the pill for more muscle. But that carries consequences with it. ie You're now relying on the spray for speed and the bigger the shot the faster it goes.

Alky seems to be a reliable way to up octane making boosting safer and allowing us to run more on the edge.

JMHO,
Mike
Old 06-30-2004, 03:12 PM
Teching In

Default Alky

I buy methanol in 5 gallon containers from a guy in Houston and he ships it to me Hyper fuels I think? will have to look at the shipping info.
I like the fact that the meth inj. will be a little less stress on the engine and more of a power helper and makes the boosing a little safer. I am still using stock internals with light tranny mods. Just don't want to go busting up my engine and tranny...
Thanks all for your replies

Jonathan
Old 06-30-2004, 03:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by buschman
You'll probably see a little more power out of the shot of N2O but not so much to make it worth the hassle. I haven't worked with Meth yet so i can't comment on that route. But Alky is relatively easy to find and should last you longer. Making it more cost effective.

The nice thing about N2O is, if you have the motor for it, you can always up the pill for more muscle. But that carries consequences with it. ie You're now relying on the spray for speed and the bigger the shot the faster it goes.

Alky seems to be a reliable way to up octane making boosting safer and allowing us to run more on the edge.

JMHO,
Mike
If he just adds the meth he isn't going to make a whole lot more power, but if you add the meth you can then bump up the boost and/or timing. With nitrous he would have to pull timing if he added a bigger shot.
Old 06-30-2004, 04:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

and a 50/50 mix of water/alky would be a whole lot cheaper to refill than N20. around here N20 is like 4.80/lb
Old 06-30-2004, 05:12 PM
TECH Resident

I'd consider running alky injection...

Cooling the charge and retarding knock is probably enough.. Probably No need for an oxdizer...

On turbo cars I like to run alcohol fuel as opposed to gas... The coolest trend is dual fuel dual maps... Gas & Alch....

But not really needed at only 8 psi...
Old 07-01-2004, 09:00 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by V8_DSM_V8again
I'd consider running alky injection...

Cooling the charge and retarding knock is probably enough.. Probably No need for an oxdizer...

On turbo cars I like to run alcohol fuel as opposed to gas... The coolest trend is dual fuel dual maps... Gas & Alch....

But not really needed at only 8 psi...
Ok so running a .6bar spring 9lbs boost and spraying Alky what exactly am i going to see change apart from a cooler charge?
An increase in "feelable" power, just safer power, decrease in 1/4 mile times and an increase in 1/4 MPH? or are all these a product of alky injection.
It is going to be an alky control kit with a P.A.C. running of a 3 bar MAP sensor and I guess the kit is continuously on correct? always spraying when the boost is above a certain PSI/bar mark.
So therefore I couldn't run NOS and Alky at the same time, because the alky in on all the time and if I wan't to hit the bottle I would have to remove the Alky or are they safe to run together. I'm confused y'all

Thanks in advance
Jonathan
Old 07-01-2004, 11:27 AM
TECH Resident

No, run one or the other. And you really won't notice a difference spraying the alky unless you up boost or timing . . . that's where the advantage comes in.
Old 07-01-2004, 12:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

i run the same boost with pump and methanol as i did before on 116 race gas.. and even this is safe. so that would be a good starting point.
Old 07-01-2004, 07:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ssblackss
I buy methanol in 5 gallon containers from a guy in Houston... Jonathan
this be it:

http://highfuelsn.goemerchant7.com/i...ExpandedDepts=

what a great freakin' country this is, buy meth delivered to you door

It's allot more expensive thru the mail but if you're in the sticks or can't get to a dealer it's well worth it. I'll be getting another 5 gal gas tank so I can do refills when I go to the track.

Quick Reply: Turbo with NOS or Alky