Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo and PCV?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 12:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,901 Likes on 1,374 Posts

I built this new engine and it's the first one I've ever built. I've also seen the effects of what a closed pcv system does to the injectors, intake manifold, throttle body and valves on the LS1 that was removed after the No. 6 rod decided to go. Yes this was an emissions legal engine than ran for over 150,000 miles and served me well.

Like I said i have the ability to run either system and right now I'm on the fence when it comes to closed pcv systems on my street/strip car. It's not my daily driver keep in mind but I can you tell you first hand that my breather can set up had no ill affects to my cylinder rings sealing or my oil getting all gunked up after 3,000 miles! Engine gunk is a result of people who don't make the necessary oil changes.
Old 09-24-2017, 12:56 PM
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 01CamaroSSTx
I built this new engine and it's the first one I've ever built. I've also seen the effects of what a closed pcv system does to the injectors, intake manifold, throttle body and valves on the LS1 that was removed after the No. 6 rod decided to go. Yes this was an emissions legal engine than ran for over 150,000 miles and served me well.

Like I said i have the ability to run either system and right now I'm on the fence when it comes to closed pcv systems on my street/strip car. It's not my daily driver keep in mind but I can you tell you first hand that my breather can set up had no ill affects to my cylinder rings sealing or my oil getting all gunked up after 3,000 miles! Engine gunk is a result of people who don't make the necessary oil changes.
What an excellent opportunity to learn from experience. How do you think oil gets onto the throttle body, and into the intake manifold, prior to the vacuum source for pcv? (Which if often near the rear of the intake). Which direction of PCV flow does it look like caused the coating to appear? And what does air filter quality/restriction have to do with that oil film?

As maintenance goes, Removing the intake manifold once every 50-100k (1-2 times in that engine's life) to clean it out is not terribly difficult or unexpected, some new DI engines require this sort of removal and valve cleaning due to carbon buildup that gasoline no longer washes away. Does removing the pcv on those engines keep the valves clear? The oil also probably helps prevent oxidation to some components as well (I don't mind knowing my throttle body has some oil on it) and is a comforting thing for me to find inside the air path of an engine, if it is clean oil residue. This is a very powerful diagnostic insight we just brought up: The amount, and quality of the oil residue found inside a high mileage engine is an indicator of engine health. If it has particulate embedded in it, rough looking residue, pitting of the metal materials in the air path, it means the air filter quality was poor for some significant duration of engine operation. The oil helps us trap and "see" what the air filter is letting through after 30k or 50k miles (these are long-term engine diagnosis skills). I like to see a very light coat of oil, clean looking and clean smelling, just like you would expect in a well maintained engine. Even if it had been recently cleaned you would still see embedded materials and metal pitting whenever air filter quality is diminished for some duration, especially in the throttle body region, I guess the tiny objects are likely to smack the blade at high speed or something.

The air filter restriction (or pressure between the engine and filter as measured with a gauge) is a critical component of oil flow in pcv systems. More restrictive filters mean lower pressure where the crankcase gets its fresh air from, and during wide open throttle this means more oil residue will flow towards the engine throttle body. A perfectly healthy engine with a very clogged air filter is more likely to send oil all over the intake manifold/throttle body as if it has a blow by problem, because low pressure between the filter and engine is drawing oil from the crankcase readily. This just means the filter is/was super restrictive- i.e. it might be a very high quality filter which is simply clogged up at the moment in time, and hasn't been replaced, it is not a sign of a bad engine or bad PCV system!

Last edited by kingtal0n; 09-24-2017 at 01:04 PM.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:14 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,746 Likes on 1,304 Posts

I typically put a breather on both valve covers and that's it. Can't say I've ever had an oil smell under the hood. You know what keeps a motor cleaner than a PCV system? Changing the oil. There's no need to go overboard on PCV unless the setup is making a ton of hp. I will share 1 trick on my old turbo car though. People mentioned on page 1 about putting a bung in the exhaust and letting it pull a vacuum, but then mentioned that backpressure could prevent that from working correctly. On my setup we put the bung into the wastegate dump tube, no backpressure to worry about and pulled a vacuum under boost when the wastegate opened and you need the vacuum the most. Never had an issue with blowing dipsticks, motor was squeaky clean, and like 3 owners later it's still putting a smile on people's faces.
The following users liked this post:
The BallSS (12-13-2022)
Old 09-25-2017, 10:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks to everyone who had a positive, constructive reply...... And I agree, the best way to keep an engine clean is to CHANGE THE OIL. I prefer to drain it when it's hot, so most of the contaminants in suspension in the oil will drain out with it. I'll post pics once my catch can, AN hose and hose ends arrive in the mail.
Old 09-28-2017, 12:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Heres the catch can setup! Came in the mail yesterday. A lot like the idea 3 window had!
Attached Thumbnails Turbo and PCV?-20170928_010825.jpg   Turbo and PCV?-20170928_010847.jpg  
Old 09-29-2017, 04:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 186 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by ElQueFør
Heres the catch can setup! Came in the mail yesterday. A lot like the idea 3 window had!
It’ll work fine.
Old 09-29-2017, 05:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks again for the idea friend!!
Old 01-20-2022, 12:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 467 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by 3 window
One 10an line from each valve cover to a catch can filled with coarse steel wool. Two years, no issues. I used two right side valve covers and billet oil fill to 10an adapters to make the install simple.
This is an amazing idea! But, if you used two right side (passenger) valve covers to make your PCV catch can setup, (which is genius by the way), where do you add oil? Do you unhook the AN fittings and twist the pcv adapter off each time? Is there a trick adapter that allows oil addition to that billet -10 fitting? oooh that would be another good idea!

Here's the Earls fitting to adapt to oil fill / AN.

I really would like to do the Holley 241-113 taller valve covers that delete the coil brackets, but I also want to run a valve cover PCV to catchcan set up jut like you've got, but am trying to figure out the most cost effective option. I could buy two sets of the Holley covers, but that would be north of 500 bucks, and then I'm guessing I'd be where you're at, wondering where I add oil?

I could buy the Motion Raceworks covers, but then I'd still have the ugly coil brackets. I could buy the cheaper BTR valve covers, but then again, I'd still have to use the ugly coil brackets.

Someone needs to make valve covers that utilize the offset 72mm coil bolt spacing that also has integrated AN fittings for PCV systems.

(sorry for the thread hijack!)

Last edited by theunderlord; 01-20-2022 at 01:08 AM.
Old 12-13-2022, 01:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by theunderlord
This is an amazing idea! But, if you used two right side (passenger) valve covers to make your PCV catch can setup, (which is genius by the way), where do you add oil? Do you unhook the AN fittings and twist the pcv adapter off each time? Is there a trick adapter that allows oil addition to that billet -10 fitting? oooh that would be another good idea!

Here's the Earls fitting to adapt to oil fill / AN.

I really would like to do the Holley 241-113 taller valve covers that delete the coil brackets, but I also want to run a valve cover PCV to catchcan set up jut like you've got, but am trying to figure out the most cost effective option. I could buy two sets of the Holley covers, but that would be north of 500 bucks, and then I'm guessing I'd be where you're at, wondering where I add oil?

I could buy the Motion Raceworks covers, but then I'd still have the ugly coil brackets. I could buy the cheaper BTR valve covers, but then again, I'd still have to use the ugly coil brackets.

Someone needs to make valve covers that utilize the offset 72mm coil bolt spacing that also has integrated AN fittings for PCV systems.

(sorry for the thread hijack!)
Yeah, you simply unscrew one of the AN hose ends from the adapter (usually the passenger side), then unscrew the adapter from the valve cover. Pour in oil as required. Couldn't be more simple.

Quick Reply: Turbo and PCV?