Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Meth Injection

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 06:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got the pump and tank mounted. Next is the electronics.
Old 09-24-2017, 10:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 70c10
Finished the nozzle and IAT sensor install. They are about 3" apart. Hopefully that will work. Not much room to work with.
anybody see a problem with this?
Old 09-25-2017, 06:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You are going to get false IAT readings by soaking the IAT sensor with meth.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:12 AM
Restricted User

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyg
You are going to get false IAT readings by soaking the IAT sensor with meth.
You're going to get irrelevant readings if you spray after the sensor.
Also, you can tune for meth failure by spraying on the sensor.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:44 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

anybody see a problem with this?
I'd put a 90 on the nipple and spray it back INTO incoming air for more diffusion.
Old 09-25-2017, 04:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Another question I have is if the methanol is so corrosive will it eat the aluminum intercooler piping and the silicone couplers?
Old 09-25-2017, 08:41 PM
Restricted User

All those saying that pure meth is the only way to go are EXTREMELY foolish.

Pure meth is perfect for a forged piston setup with safe ring gaps.

Water cools far more than meth could ever hope to, and guys on stock cast pistons and stock ring gaps would benefit a great deal from using water to keep combustion temps down. Spraying pure meth might keep detonation at bay, but its not going to help keep those rings from butting together or a ring land from breaking. Water WILL.

Pure meth won't corrode your aluminum or your silicone couplers anytime soon. You would need to run about 50 gallons of pure meth through there before you will be able to even see any signs of use.
Old 09-26-2017, 01:51 PM
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

there we go. ^^

+1

Everyone forgets about water but water is the "coolest" of drinkable, safest, most convenient substances at our disposal. When I stop and the engine is hot I might pour water slowly over the top of the engine, radiator, everywhere possible. Let it capture the heat and drip off the car. If I could I would install external ambient temperature sensors and a pad that used a transistor circuit to operate a pump whenever water was not detected on a pad below, pumping water onto the engine intake manifold down pathways which relief to the oil pan drainoff area where the transistor circuit awaits. The external engine temperature could be maintained to 212*F~ this way, where currently I measure over 240*F average and easily boil water from the head. A 200*F operating coolant temperature range is not uncommon so this is to be expected, and is desirable for economy in off boost situations. But if one is not driving for economy (distance), and only racing, a lower T-stat could be used. The aspect of racing I am detailing here is the high T-stat, gasoline engine, with outer average temperature of an gasoline engine which is based on engine output, and climate conditions (a race in a hot sunny dry day) since some percentage of engine output always winds up in heat around the engine, emanating from the engine, and higher climate temperatures make it more difficult to get rid of that high temperature radiation. A turbo engine would produce more power (energy/time or horsepower or watts or joules/second) than an N/A engine (you would think) so the external engine temp control of turbo engines is more critical as seen from the engine bay perspective (where most of our equipment is located). Water is able to put a cap on this temperature- I can guarantee you the external engine temp surface is around 212*F If I can keep a liquid water there. Oil acts as a coolant and is far more important to maintain than the external engine temp of an engine, this is only an example showing how water as an energy absorber could be used other ways.

Truly if you are racing without rules you would be using E85 or similar to help control temperature issues in the chamber, with external coolers/capacity as necessary.

Last edited by kingtal0n; 09-26-2017 at 04:24 PM.
Old 09-27-2017, 10:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Got the pump and tank mounted. Next is the electronics.
how much did this kit cost you?
Old 09-27-2017, 12:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Nali6.2
how much did this kit cost you?
What I bought isn't really a kit, more of a hybrid being the vehicle I installed it in. Call Julio and get some pricing for your specific application. He's a great guy and will answer any questions you have.
Old 09-27-2017, 12:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JoeNova
You're going to get irrelevant readings if you spray after the sensor.
Also, you can tune for meth failure by spraying on the sensor.
what do you mean tune for meth failure? Just curious how would you do that?
Old 09-27-2017, 01:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 478 Likes on 368 Posts

What are you guys using to seal the pipe threads on the Alky control pump and fittings? Will teflon tape and teflon paste work?
I wouldn't plumb a meth system with fittings that require sealant.
I'd use all AN and all the hose should be braided and alcohol lined, fwiw, all the fuel lines on a sprint car have to be braided stainless with I believe tygon liner..
Honestly I use a small alcohol fuel cell to store it in the car.. If your running meth, also buy a purpleK or cold fire fire extinguisher, regular ones don't work on a methanol fire.

Methanol doesn't corrode metal unless there is oxygen available and water..
Klotz Uplon mixed in the meth keeps it from misbehaving and helps keep all the injection components clean from any methanol buildup. At least thats what do on a Hillborn type system. When storing I flush the lines with gasoline then blow them out with air. The Uplon also makes the methanol fire visible if you had one, it makes the flames yellow instead of nearly invisible.
Old 09-27-2017, 01:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead
I wouldn't plumb a meth system with fittings that require sealant.
I'd use all AN and all the hose should be braided and alcohol lined, fwiw, all the fuel lines on a sprint car have to be braided stainless with I believe tygon liner..
Honestly I use a small alcohol fuel cell to store it in the car.. If your running meth, also buy a purpleK or cold fire fire extinguisher, regular ones don't work on a methanol fire.

Methanol doesn't corrode metal unless there is oxygen available and water..
Klotz Uplon mixed in the meth keeps it from misbehaving and helps keep all the injection components clean from any methanol buildup. At least thats what do on a Hillborn type system. When storing I flush the lines with gasoline then blow them out with air. The Uplon also makes the methanol fire visible if you had one, it makes the flames yellow instead of nearly invisible.
Everything is AN fittings and teflon lined as braided hose but there are pipe threads on the pump itself.
Old 09-27-2017, 01:52 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

snow performance recommends that clear e6000 hobby sealant

def don't use pipe dope
Old 09-27-2017, 02:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Suncc49
snow performance recommends that clear e6000 hobby sealant

def don't use pipe dope
The pipe fittings came with teflon tape on them already. I added a minimal amount of PTFE teflon dope to them.
Old 09-27-2017, 03:48 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by dmaxs10
what do you mean tune for meth failure? Just curious how would you do that?
Your IATs will always be 70-90* with meth on if you spray before the sensor. If they get over 100*, you pull a ton of timing so that it doesn't blow up if the meth fails. Pretty easy failsafe.
Old 09-27-2017, 03:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 478 Likes on 368 Posts

Everything is AN fittings and teflon lined as braided hose but there are pipe threads on the pump itself.
At least on my Kinsler pumps, the threads are AN/O-ring not NPT. So they still don't get sealer, I could see where that would be an issue on a small electric pump, My temptation would be to re-tap to AN square and use a O-ring fitting but I'm a paranoid person about leaks in systems.. I carry the plumbing curse with me everywhere...
Old 09-27-2017, 04:07 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that should work good. I'd use that nozzle and not try to get too complicated. you won't get great IAT readings but it's nice to be able to tune it to pull timing if IATs get high as rough failsafe. if you were to somehow spray it back into the oncoming air you'd get issues, that's why nitrous nozzles never look like that.

i used the alky control fittings exactly as you have for your meth nozzle in the intake pipe with a hole just drilled with cordless drill and have been running 15-16psi at 900whp now for a long time without issue. when i checked everything for boost leaks awhile back i found zero leaks with those nozzles at 25+psi so i think youll be fine. I did use some threadlock so that it never comes apart and grenades my motor with that washer or nozzle though.

if you talk to the guys who make the meth kits you'll find they recommend running meth and not mixing it with water although people will argue endlessly for both.

call julio with questions for sure, super helpful and nice guy who has run methanol setups personally on more setups than I can count including some very big power stuff
Old 09-28-2017, 08:03 AM
Staging Lane

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Snow Meth system

Finished the nozzle and IAT sensor install. They are about 3" apart. Hopefully that will work. Not much room to work with.
I am using 50/50 with my Snow system. I have a 2001 Camaro Z 28 with a new LS3 crate motor with D1SC super-charger, cam, meth system, boost-a-pump. All is good with the meth system when running but it continues to run after the engine is shut off. Anyone have the problem?
Old 09-28-2017, 08:09 AM
Restricted User

Using a check valve on the Hobbs switch?

Quick Reply: Meth Injection