Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Meth Injection

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 09:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 505 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeNova
All those saying that pure meth is the only way to go are EXTREMELY foolish.

Pure meth is perfect for a forged piston setup with safe ring gaps.

Water cools far more than meth could ever hope to, and guys on stock cast pistons and stock ring gaps would benefit a great deal from using water to keep combustion temps down. Spraying pure meth might keep detonation at bay, but its not going to help keep those rings from butting together or a ring land from breaking. Water WILL.

Pure meth won't corrode your aluminum or your silicone couplers anytime soon. You would need to run about 50 gallons of pure meth through there before you will be able to even see any signs of use.
Actually, pure meth is quite safe when used properly. Obviously it doesn't burn as cool as water (duh), but it does burn cooler than gasoline, so it will help a small amount in keeping ring gaps from butting. In the meantime, it does not kill as much potential power as water injection in the course of cooling your intake charge temps and reducing detonation. As with most builds, the best course of action is application specific.
Old 09-30-2017, 08:19 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

The fastest drag cars on the planet are called TOP FUEL. The fastest ones run Nitromethane usually cut with some Methanol, 10-20% or so ( so im told )

The second fastest class in TOP FUEL run straight methanol.

CART ( indy cars ) only ran Methanol for the entire 25+ years of racing.

I guess they are all extremely foolish
Old 09-30-2017, 02:55 PM
Restricted User

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by cam
The fastest drag cars on the planet are called TOP FUEL. The fastest ones run Nitromethane usually cut with some Methanol, 10-20% or so ( so im told )

You missed the point so laughably bad that I can't even give a real reply to this.
Old 09-30-2017, 03:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 177 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by cam

Curious, why does gas exist if methanol is better?
Old 09-30-2017, 04:47 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Points get missed all the time, but what I posted is true.

Why gas? Why propane? Why natural gas? Why Coal? Why electricity? Why anything? It is what it is and the market presented options and we historically chose them due to supply and demand and here we are. Gas has a lot higher specific gravity than alc too so you get more range on the same volume plus non corrosive, non hygroscopic, plus easy to refine and looks like it made more people rich than methanol did so here we are.

That said if im going ballz out racing? Id run nitro and methane. As do the fastest cars, who eat engine parts one piston per pass usually. If you want to go fastest you are going to break a ton of parts. Its not about better, its about potential and in a boosted application STRAIGHT METH whoops gas because it has more potential due to its high octane and evap heat loss effects.

That said there have been some fast SBE LS builds on straight meth too. E85 holds the current crown, so we are told at least
Old 09-30-2017, 09:52 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by cam
Points get missed all the time, but what I posted is true.

Why gas? Why propane? Why natural gas? Why Coal? Why electricity? Why anything? It is what it is and the market presented options and we historically chose them due to supply and demand and here we are. Gas has a lot higher specific gravity than alc too so you get more range on the same volume plus non corrosive, non hygroscopic, plus easy to refine and looks like it made more people rich than methanol did so here we are.

That said if im going ballz out racing? Id run nitro and methane. As do the fastest cars, who eat engine parts one piston per pass usually. If you want to go fastest you are going to break a ton of parts. Its not about better, its about potential and in a boosted application STRAIGHT METH whoops gas because it has more potential due to its high octane and evap heat loss effects.

That said there have been some fast SBE LS builds on straight meth too. E85 holds the current crown, so we are told at least
We're talking about spraying it through a misting nozzle as a secondary fuel, not feeding it through our fuel system as the primary. You're so far off the point of this topic...
Old 09-30-2017, 10:04 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

We're talking about spraying it through a misting nozzle as a secondary fuel, not feeding it through our fuel system as the primary. You're so far off the point of this topic...
100% correct. Pointless discussion, I shall move on with a parting note;

Pure meth wins more races than meth and gas fellas
Old 10-01-2017, 01:15 PM
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I think all joe was trying to say is, get a frying pan really hot (1200*F~) and if you had a choice of hitting it with a spritz of methanol or water, but you had to stand right next to it and touch it afterwards when you do it, which one would you rather choose... hint: one of those would potentially remove all hair from your ...
Old 10-01-2017, 01:30 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by cam
100% correct. Pointless discussion, I shall move on with a parting note;

Pure meth wins more races than meth and gas fellas
Yes, you're right. We should all convert our street cars over to run pure methanol because it'll obviously make them more practical.
Old 10-01-2017, 02:50 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Yes, you're right. We should all convert our street cars over to run pure methanol because it'll obviously WIN MORE RACESl.
Close, I said win more races but I understand your comprehension rides far back to your obsession to argue with the internet so I'll cut you some slack while your pal speaks for you.
Old 10-01-2017, 02:57 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

This sbe 5.3 held the record for some time. Straight methanol

Anyways have fun, play safe, i'll leave the children be now
Old 10-01-2017, 07:57 PM
Restricted User

Your still arguing for running straight methanol in a topic about methanol injection....

We all understand methanol is better than gasoline. There no arguing that. I was simply saying that running straight methanol vs running a water/meth mix is a situational thing and straight meth is NOT always the clear choice.

You want to come in here saying don't use gasoline at all and to run pure methanol in everything is the way to go.

Special Olympics much?
Old 10-01-2017, 08:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Your still arguing for running straight methanol in a topic about methanol injection....

We all understand methanol is better than gasoline. There no arguing that. I was simply saying that running straight methanol vs running a water/meth mix is a situational thing and straight meth is NOT always the clear choice.

You want to come in here saying don't use gasoline at all and to run pure methanol in everything is the way to go.

Special Olympics much?
Joe I would just let it go. The guy obviously can't grasp it.
Old 10-01-2017, 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I run 50/50 and I believe that's what lets me get away with 13lbs on a SBE with un touched ring gaps. But ,if I had a forged lower end, I would probably run pure meth ( and a lot more of it)
Old 10-01-2017, 10:46 PM
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by cam
Close, I said win more races but I understand your comprehension rides far back to your obsession to argue with the internet so I'll cut you some slack while your pal speaks for you.
Ah hahahahahaha

Only you would appreciate this. The conundrum of 'not liking' somebody on the internet and having them agree with a point you made makes it difficult to accuse them of being investigative. Actually if the point is valid (or there is truth to it) the situation becomes perverse as disagreement over core values may seem like disagreement over the issue at hand.

Its really just a high form of entertainment
Its fun to play the 'other side' (the less popular side) "devils advocate" with 'insane examples'

Quick Reply: Meth Injection