Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Boost referenced FPR

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 06:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by 3 window
Kinda wanted him to explain it, but some ecus reduce voltage to the pumps at low demand conditions. What about systems that maintain constant voltage to the pump(s)? What about return style regulators? Don't tell me that the outlet pressure of the pump changes (hence reducing the workload) because you have a vacuum line to the regulator. You know better than that.
I know your a smart guy but that really is how it works. Less restriction from the fpr will take the pressure off the pump. It's a moot point but it is true. How measurable it is? Probably marginal at best but it is real.
Old 09-24-2017, 06:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 185 Likes on 135 Posts

That's the answer I was looking for. It reduces pressure AFTER the regulator and bypasses more fuel to the return. Not the pressure of the pump.
Old 09-24-2017, 06:58 PM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ford did the same thing, the Svo's and Turbo Tbirds even had em
Old 09-24-2017, 08:10 PM
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 3 window
Kinda wanted him to explain it, but some ecus reduce voltage to the pumps at low demand conditions. What about systems that maintain constant voltage to the pump(s)? What about return style regulators? Don't tell me that the outlet pressure of the pump changes (hence reducing the workload) because you have a vacuum line to the regulator. You know better than that.

Fuel pumps generate more heat when the pressure output is higher. Using a low pressure for a daily driver keeps the heat out of the fuel, and may help extend pump life (marginally).

I think most regulators are "return style" except in carb'd applications. The "vette" regulator has a return line, its just under the car where you dont see it. The return is how the regulator regulates; if you clamp it shut the pump will work at max output pressure, will draw max current, and flow the least amount possible when met with an infinite resistance (zero flow if there is nowhere to go) despite having an incredibly high pressure. The reverse is also true- an unrestricted pump output flow will have 0.0001psi of pressure (some tiny number, must be positive, otherwise it wouldn't flow at all) and would draw minimal current, flowing the maximum possible rate.

I was also curious enough to shoot aeromotive an email:

Originally Posted by aeromotive tech director
All testing on Aeromotive fuel pumps for durability is done at 60-PSI. We typically see 2,000 run hours from a 340 Stealth Pump at 60-PSI and 13.5 volts. That said, lower pressure and/or slower speed can extend pump life, but you would need to change injectors (possibly) and retune the ECU (certainly) if you plan to run lower pressure.
Me: How much extra life do you think is possible?

Him:
Originally Posted by aeromotive tech director
don’t have any hard data to answer that question, maybe a 10% increase?

Brett Clow
Tech Director
So, 10% additional pump life (maybe) plus cooler fuel and reduced current draw = win

The same thing goes for the pump in your chest, lower blood pressure generally = longer pump life.

Its a free mod. If this was somehow hard to setup I would be like KISS and dont touch it. But its so easy to turn the allen key to the left and I have to re-tune everything anyways when doing a swap so... no extra work required. I set base pressure approx 37psi (instead of the usual 44psi).

Last edited by kingtal0n; 09-24-2017 at 08:15 PM.
Old 09-25-2017, 04:51 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Only 2000 hours ? I'll know that's a pump to avoid then !!

if a pump couldnt do 10x that I'd be worried.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:00 AM
Banned

Aeromotive? can't trust them with fuel system stuff, they have no clue what they are doing and only recently got into the fuel system business. Just turrible.

Yeah everybody with aeromotive stuff should just throw it away. obv garbage.

Until they make a pump with 2000(10) = 20,000 run time hours its trash right?
Old 09-25-2017, 08:55 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by kingtal0n
Aeromotive? can't trust them with fuel system stuff, they have no clue what they are doing and only recently got into the fuel system business. Just turrible.

Yeah everybody with aeromotive stuff should just throw it away. obv garbage.

Until they make a pump with 2000(10) = 20,000 run time hours its trash right?
well aren't you just the Aeromotive fanboy who carries spare fuel pumps everywhere with you 😁!!
Old 09-25-2017, 01:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
well aren't you just the Aeromotive fanboy who carries spare fuel pumps everywhere with you ��!!
All I am saying is that aeromotive seems pretty dang proud of their 2000hour lifetime, as if it were some kind of gold standard among fuel pumps. And they have no lack of experience with fuel system parts. There has to be a good reason they are touting that number like its great.

Also I carry a spare GT-R fuel pump which is a $17 used GT-R pull out OEM part.
Old 09-25-2017, 02:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

I'll take Walbro or Bosch over any other pump all day long. They will probably out last the motor a couple times over.
Old 09-25-2017, 05:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
well aren't you just the Aeromotive fanboy who carries spare fuel pumps everywhere with you 😁!!
Stellar recall 😎

Quick Reply: Boost referenced FPR