Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Anyone ever made/tried front tag mod to make it swing/let air go to IC?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 06:48 AM
11 Second Club

Received 284 Likes on 187 Posts

Question Anyone ever made/tried front tag mod to make it swing/let air go to IC?

I know...weird question maybe.

The crappy state I live in, requires front license plates...

My Trans Am has a nice sized intercooler, and presently has the foglamps and tag mount block-off plate removed for intercooler air flow.

Has anyone tried making some sort of simple, inexpensive hinged front tag mount that would allow the tag to basically swing out of the way, at speed, and allow airflow through the intercooler?

By "simple & inexpensive", I mean like a hardware store hinge mounted to plate and car, so that at faster speeds, when it really needs the intercooler most, the tag would be forced out of the air path. The new plates are made of some very lightweight aluminum, as opposed to the older ones, which were stamped steel, so I think it just might work.

Was just curious if anyone else has tried it?

I know they sell electric, hideaway license plate brackets, and that's another option. But it's one that cost a whole lot more, and not very excited about one of those. Especially since reviews I read on those are very mixed, as far as positive and negative reviews.

I just don't like this look, shown below:

Last edited by rel3rd; 02-06-2020 at 08:42 AM.
Old 11-16-2017, 07:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drilled a boat load of 1/2 holes in mine. Was pretty much Swiss cheesed. Looked like normal from 5ft away. Even the inspection guy didnt notice it.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 237 Likes on 165 Posts

I have cut out the area behind the tag, then left off the tag when I wanted more air-Cops in Md sometimes will get you w/o the tag, but I keep the tag in the car, if ever get stopped just say someone stole the screws to the tag, lol
Old 11-16-2017, 12:08 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by forcd ind
I have cut out the area behind the tag, then left off the tag when I wanted more air-Cops in Md sometimes will get you w/o the tag, but I keep the tag in the car, if ever get stopped just say someone stole the screws to the tag, lol
My whole tag attachment area is gone, LOL. Just a big HOLE with an intercooler sitting behind it. These brand new tags are super light, so I'm going to go ahead and try the small hinge deal and maybe datalog some temperatures and see if it makes any difference. The ones near me are kinda pricky...
Old 11-16-2017, 12:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

I've done that for other reasons but yea a piece of piano hinge worked fine.. The plate would fold back at about 25 miles an hour.. I found some plastic hinge at a fancy wood working supplier..
Old 11-16-2017, 12:44 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead
I've done that for other reasons but yea a piece of piano hinge worked fine.. The plate would fold back at about 25 miles an hour.. I found some plastic hinge at a fancy wood working supplier..
That's my hope.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 11-17-2017, 06:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Beautiful car Bob!!!!
Old 11-17-2017, 07:24 AM
11 Second Club

Talking

Originally Posted by 69-chvl
Beautiful car Bob!!!!
Thank you sir!

Still waiting to hear back about the collector car insurance, so haven't driven it but around the block a few times...DEFINITELY need some tires with some sort of stick, to them, as these 18's don't cut it, lol.

I think this one's gonna get me in trouble, LOL

Last edited by rel3rd; 02-06-2020 at 08:42 AM.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

I would look into an inexpensive switched actuator.

When you need it hit the switch, when you don't turn it off. Some you can actuate with a remote as well.

They are extremely fast and adjustable. You won't need this size (about $60). There are many that are much smaller and cheaper, but still have enough travel length to move the plate up or down 90 degrees as well as enough power to hold it in place.

Example below is not a plate, but a hinged plate will still function that same way. The actuator rotates on both ends so will will not bind.

Last edited by dlandsvZ28; 11-17-2017 at 10:20 AM.
Old 11-18-2017, 12:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 237 Likes on 165 Posts

Street rod guys use some kind of gizmo that works off vacuum, kind of in rev though, the tag is displayed while driving, when you shut the engine off, the tag flips up for a cleaner look-under boost, no vac, it could flip up, lol
Old 11-18-2017, 01:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by forcd ind
Street rod guys use some kind of gizmo that works off vacuum, kind of in rev though, the tag is displayed while driving, when you shut the engine off, the tag flips up for a cleaner look-under boost, no vac, it could flip up, lol
Same principle as installed on my Corvette GS that has dual mode exhaust - fused vacuum operated. Pull the fuse however, and it stays open all of the time. Or insert a remote into the fuse that is remote operated - about $80 for the remote.

It's doable for sure - but depends on your skill level, tools, etc to make it work.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 530 Likes on 334 Posts

I like the idea of a swinging plate bracket. You could also do something where it had a magnetic catch at the bottom so it won't swing back and forth at a stop light.

Quick Reply: Anyone ever made/tried front tag mod to make it swing/let air go to IC?