Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Air Filter for Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 12:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by The ******
From what research I've done a filter is always a restriction so I bought a cheap AutoZone filter and remove it when racing since its semi easy to access.
I've got the shitty kind of luck where a rock would bounce around under hood until it found my turbo inlet lol.
Seen this first hand at the track last year. Guy was running no filter, a hose came loose that was close to the turbo. The clamp stayed on the end of the hose as it found it's was into the compressor wheel while he was making a pass. It was a closed casket affair for the turbo .
Old 03-19-2018, 01:16 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,743 Likes on 1,301 Posts

Why do ITB's make more power than a traditional intake? Infinite plenum. Yes agree that turbulence can have an impact, but this assumes that turbulence is more of an impact than a physical restriction of an air filter? Just doesn't make sense to me, thats all.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ddnspider
Why do ITB's make more power than a traditional intake? Infinite plenum. Yes agree that turbulence can have an impact, but this assumes that turbulence is more of an impact than a physical restriction of an air filter? Just doesn't make sense to me, thats all.
I used to think my filter was impeding performance, till I ran it without. Car actually slowed down with it off.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

I was worried that my cobra elbow and the 4 inch pipe to my filter would be a restriction on my s480 turbo so i ran it on and off on the dyno. Made 6hp difference. Being transparent i had been seeing a 10 hp swing up or down depending on the run even when everything was the same. So it could have made more power or 16hp less depending on which way the swing was running but i would give up 16 hp for piece of mind im not gonna suck some crap in and destroy my 1500 dollar turbo.

i also ran it on and off on the track it was within a couple hundreths both runs. Faster with filter. But that really doesnt prove anything. If the filter is big enough to not be a restriction i think youll find the same results i did. If its too small then yes it will pick up power. Have i tried to small of a filter no but my common sense powers tell me my guess is right.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:46 PM
10 Second Club

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...-boost-fi.html

Looks like some people did pick up not only power, but also were able to make more boost when they removed their filter. Stevie also posted in this thread from forever ago lol.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:48 PM
10 Second Club

Also....
http://turbo-guard.com/dyno-results/
Old 03-19-2018, 01:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Seems that if a car is making more power without, then it would be faster in either ET Or trap.
Old 03-19-2018, 02:07 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Game ova
Seems that if a car is making more power without, then it would be faster in either ET Or trap.
Seems reasonable. Did they have a link to track times and I just missed it?
Old 03-19-2018, 02:09 PM
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Another vote for AFE, I like a paper filter for 'diesel truck turbo' style,

the one I got from AFE even says I can wash and re-use it. No oil in it either!

Protip: Always run some kind of filter if you care about the engine. If you need to know about restrictions run a gauge between the filter and turbo inlet! They even sell little poppets which pop to tell you when you've passed a certain vacuum threshold on ebay!
Old 03-19-2018, 02:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Seems reasonable. Did they have a link to track times and I just missed it?
No, no link. Just from personal experience, although severely traction limited at the time, the car was consistently just under 138mph. Took the filter off, lost about 2mph..... same boost. Other poster said his car slowed down as well.
Old 03-19-2018, 02:21 PM
7 Second Club

Received 303 Likes on 203 Posts

There are way too many variables to say for sure if it will pick up power or not. Things like filter size, total airflow, is your turbo/blower maxed out already, etc. On most of the bigger power setups 1000+ rwhp with a maxed out blower/turbo we will see around 60-80 rwhp on average with a bellmouth on the inlet vs even a pretty large air filter. Just running it open can also cause turbulent airflow entering into the compressor and it could make less power from what I've seen too.
Old 03-19-2018, 02:23 PM
10 Second Club

No, no link. Just from personal experience, although severely traction limited at the time, the car was consistently just under 138mph. Took the filter off, lost about 2mph..... same boost. Other poster said his car slowed down as well.
Just feels like 1 of those things like "you NEED exhaust back pressure to generate torque". For ever person that said it made no change, theres 1 who said they saw either a HP or HP and boost gain. If you pull a filter and you're boost goes up, then it is a restriction and you will make more power because you can make more boost than you could previously.
Old 03-19-2018, 02:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Just feels like 1 of those things like "you NEED exhaust back pressure to generate torque". For ever person that said it made no change, theres 1 who said they saw either a HP or HP and boost gain. If you pull a filter and you're boost goes up, then it is a restriction and you will make more power because you can make more boost than you could previously.
Might be something to the backpressure/torque debate. Using my car as an example, I'm sure the backpressure is high, especially being that im using a 7875 that's being pushed by a 6.0 through 3 inch. It's rare that I see a car making anywhere near the torque that it makes, even when the other persons setup out powers me by 300rwhp .
Old 03-19-2018, 02:40 PM
10 Second Club

Might be something to the backpressure/torque debate. Using my car as an example, I'm sure the backpressure is high, especially being that im using a 7875 that's being pushed by a 6.0 through 3 inch. It's rare that I see a car making anywhere near the torque that it makes, even when the other persons setup out powers me by 300rwhp .
There's plenty of data that says otherwise. Needing back pressure is an old wives tale. You have any back to back graphs with a cutout off the downpipe? A full over axle 3 inch exhaust likely is restrictive at 700whp.

I picked up 30WHP at the 550whp level with a cutout off the 3" downpipe vs. a 3.5" full over axle exhaust.
Old 03-19-2018, 02:47 PM
TECH Junkie

There's plenty of data that says otherwise. Needing back pressure is an old wives tale. You have any back to back graphs with a cutout off the downpipe? A full over axle 3 inch exhaust likely is restrictive at 700whp.

I picked up 30WHP at the 550whp level with a cutout off the 3" downpipe vs. a 3.5" full over axle exhaust.
I have no doubt that you picked up wheel HORSEPOWER, as I do as well when I open the cutout. But we are talking torque. But no, I don't have any graphs with and without cutout open/closed. I'd have to dig around, but I want to say I seen an exhaust artical stating that 3 inch mandrel bend exhaust was good to roughly 900rwhp
Old 03-19-2018, 02:58 PM
10 Second Club

I have no doubt that you picked up wheel HORSEPOWER, as I do as well when I open the cutout. But we are talking torque. But no, I don't have any graphs with and without cutout open/closed. I'd have to dig around, but I want to say I seen an exhaust artical stating that 3 inch mandrel bend exhaust was good to roughly 900rwhp
HP = Torque x RPM ÷ 5252
If I picked up 30whp....my torque when up too.
Old 03-19-2018, 03:09 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

You've stated twice that the air filter is a restriction. Is there any evidence to support that as a generic statement ?

There is no reason for a properly sized filter to offer any restriction to be in the slightest bit concerned about. And yes, smooth airflow will be better than turbulent airflow.

And ITB's dont always make more power....they can be tuned and setup to make more power on some applications and yes indeed plenum boxes and filters can be an important integral part of an ITB setup vs running them completely open...but again, generically they do not simply make more power.
Old 03-19-2018, 03:10 PM
TECH Junkie

HP = Torque x RPM ÷ 5252
If I picked up 30whp....my torque when up too.
Just so I'm clear on this, you are saying that the torque is linear with horsepower? 30whp gain....automatically translates to 30rwtq?
Old 03-19-2018, 03:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

Look in to ITG filters, they sell many configs, many made to be used in custom applications, they come from England via Demon Tweeks and other sources, they are a Foam style similar to the Uni-filters used on many MX bikes, I've used them on 408 sprint motors that spin 10K, I've also used the K&N for sprints (Has to fit over mechanical injection stacks so HUGE) both worked well, the ITG flowed just ever so slightly less on the dyne, but its way easier to clean and care for.. (And I am a K&N fan. )
Old 03-19-2018, 04:06 PM
10 Second Club

Just so I'm clear on this, you are saying that the torque is linear with horsepower? 30whp gain....automatically translates to 30rwtq?
No....you do have to specify an RPM in that equation do you not?