Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

$20 DIY bump box

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 02:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default $20 DIY bump box

For those of you that are looking for a bump box.

Here is my version that uses a $6 solid state relay and a $14 timer the size of a quarter from amazon.

Old 03-21-2018, 03:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

I am gonna build one and try it once my car is going.
Old 03-21-2018, 03:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Nice !
Old 03-22-2018, 02:03 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks Tittan, ordered delay timer today, "who would not want one at this price" built not bought.
Old 03-22-2018, 02:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

First of all... major props for what you've accomplished here. I mean no offense by my post, but am curious to see more results.

Can you show us some tests at higher RPM? Were you making much boost in the test you showed or are you able to make boost "at will" so to speak after you final-stage the car? I guess it just doesn't sound like what I'm used to hearing when a car that makes 1000+ HP is bumping in. No doubt your car is "bumping", but I expected a much more aggressive bump from a car that's making your kind of power.

I've tried "budget" bump boxes and they work fine at low RPM without boost, but once I built some RPM and brought the car onto the two step, the "budget" box quickly reminded me of the "you get what you pay for" theory. It either wouldn't bump at all, or it wouldn't release the trans brake when I let go of the brake button. Just bizarre stuff when it worked absolutely fine at low RPM's and little to no boost. I've since gone to a Leash system, and couldn't be happier. The fine tuning you can do on their bump system is great.

Again, I'm not doubting this setup... I'm simply hoping for more results. I just couldn't help but wonder how this budget setup performs when combined with a car that takes a bit of time to build boost and relies a lot on a bump box to help with staging. I have to stage my shitty 5.3 by pre-staging, holding the transbrake, bringing it up onto the 2 step at roughly 4200 RPM and then bump it into the final stage beam on roughly 12 pounds.

I imagine your car doesn't take nearly as much time to make boost as a little 5.3 does with a turbo that's probably over-sized so your technique is probably much different. Can you confirm your method of staging to put my mind at ease a little?

Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-22-2018, 03:03 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by edwardzracing
First of all... major props for what you've accomplished here. I mean no offense by my post, but am curious to see more results.

Can you show us some tests at higher RPM? Were you making much boost in the test you showed or are you able to make boost "at will" so to speak after you final-stage the car? I guess it just doesn't sound like what I'm used to hearing when a car that makes 1000+ HP is bumping in. No doubt your car is "bumping", but I expected a much more aggressive bump from a car that's making your kind of power.

I've tried "budget" bump boxes and they work fine at low RPM without boost, but once I built some RPM and brought the car onto the two step, the "budget" box quickly reminded me of the "you get what you pay for" theory. It either wouldn't bump at all, or it wouldn't release the trans brake when I let go of the brake button. Just bizarre stuff when it worked absolutely fine at low RPM's and little to no boost. I've since gone to a Leash system, and couldn't be happier. The fine tuning you can do on their bump system is great.

Again, I'm not doubting this setup... I'm simply hoping for more results. I just couldn't help but wonder how this budget setup performs when combined with a car that takes a bit of time to build boost and relies a lot on a bump box to help with staging. I have to stage my shitty 5.3 by pre-staging, holding the transbrake, bringing it up onto the 2 step at roughly 4200 RPM and then bump it into the final stage beam on roughly 12 pounds.

I imagine your car doesn't take nearly as much time to make boost as a little 5.3 does with a turbo that's probably over-sized so your technique is probably much different. Can you confirm your method of staging to put my mind at ease a little?

Thanks for sharing.
You don't not need a aggressive bump lol... have you ever a true turbo setup that requires retarded staging you can set the bump box to "creep" in or "roll" in. You notice some cars bump stupid hard and some come in soft? This diy box works, is controllable and just different. Peoplemarnt use to setting up a diy option. They want a plug and play setup that doesn't require any thinking..
Old 03-22-2018, 04:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by edwardzracing

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the reply, I used the bump box all last year bumping in at 12-14 lbs no issues. The more boost you make the bump will get more aggressive.

IF the bump is getting to rough try ad set the timer faster so it bumps smoother. however the car will move less if your de tuned for the street or a bad track.

My setup is a 5.3 with a china S480 and a LJMS cam and PTC converter ( your standard basic bitch turbo build)
I roll up to the first bulb, hit the trans brake it builds in a few seconds then bump in.
Old 03-24-2018, 10:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by bca21
You don't not need a aggressive bump lol... have you ever a true turbo setup that requires retarded staging you can set the bump box to "creep" in or "roll" in. You notice some cars bump stupid hard and some come in soft? This diy box works, is controllable and just different. Peoplemarnt use to setting up a diy option. They want a plug and play setup that doesn't require any thinking..
You have no comprehension of what that man is asking.
Old 03-24-2018, 10:51 AM
TECH Regular

Received 87 Likes on 68 Posts

Cool, but here’s the one I use. Nothing else needed unless you have a big solenoid. Also easy to change in the car. My bumps are .12 seconds long with a 4l80

https://m.ebay.com/itm/12V-DC-Multif...QAAOSwLzdWRpo1
Old 03-24-2018, 08:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 527 Likes on 357 Posts

thats tight. now do a $20 diy transbrake lol
Old 03-26-2018, 03:01 PM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by truckdoug
thats tight. now do a $20 diy transbrake lol
On a 4L60E.
Old 04-06-2018, 09:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

$20 trans brake will be tough lol
Old 04-24-2018, 12:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

bump12345
Old 04-24-2018, 10:26 PM
Staging Lane

Tittan, completed build of bump box and works great on the bench in the test mode.
Old 04-30-2018, 10:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by H.P.Ranch1
Tittan, completed build of bump box and works great on the bench in the test mode.

Killer man! thanks
Old 05-08-2018, 05:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

bump 111
Old 10-09-2018, 12:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

The DIY box is cool but the Simple Stage bump box, is far easier to adjust and wire up as it was made just for this purpose
Check it out
Old 10-16-2018, 09:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 539 Likes on 344 Posts

Props for putting up this DIY.

Quick question... On the signal to the two step, is that relay required? Can you instead connect the two step input to the same wire that powers the coil of the SSR enable relay?
Old 10-16-2018, 04:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

You could connect the 2 step to the trans brake button if you wanted. Unless you need a ground trigger