Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

RELIABILITY,Me No Wants a Blow Up

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 06:16 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Black89Z51
I don't see it reliable, which is your main concern. I also don't see it having the low end grunt you're looking for unless you size the turbo to that, but if you go for the low then it's going to be out of breath in the upper RPMs. I know you don't plan on living there for any amount of time, but it'll annoy you.

Honestly a supercharger is going to give you everything you're looking for, including reliablilty.
This is for a frame-off project,engine specifics being one of the later things,but turbo would actually accommodate the engine compartment easier,and would ease-up on some firewall modification.

Putting together a long block,what differences do you see between a turbo engine vs. SC engine?I want to make this engine usable NA,and be able to make enough power to be usable if a turbo or blower takes a crapper,it can't be laid up long.It's going to be E85 100% from the start,so I have a lot of flexibility in compression ratio.
Old 04-17-2018, 06:26 AM
Launching!

IMO, go with a supercharger for the linear power down low it will make. You are already putting a 5.3 in a heavy truck that would be much more fitting for a 6l due to the torque. Side by side the torque down low is a big difference.

Heres a a big question, how much weight will you be towing?

Old 04-17-2018, 06:28 AM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

Kurt Urban has put tens of thousands of miles on his tow rig. A 6.0 AWD SS Silverado with an S472. He had to run a 2nd radiator for long hauls pulling race cars.

A buddy of mine has a long bed crew cab dually with a 6.0/80e and a GT45. He said he loves the power delivery, but I don't think he's attempted a long tow with it yet.

Heat is going to be your main enemy. You'll need a large front mount, a good cooling system, and to open up your ring gaps to keep heat from expanding them during extended loads under boost.
Old 04-17-2018, 06:53 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by etijsma
IMO, go with a supercharger for the linear power down low it will make. You are already putting a 5.3 in a heavy truck that would be much more fitting for a 6l due to the torque. Side by side the torque down low is a big difference.

Heres a a big question, how much weight will you be towing?

It tows a couple of equipment trailers.Frequency ranges for a couple times a week,to twice a month,depending.Mostly on flat terrain locally or 75 mile trips each way.Bigger trailer is 7K lbs.

But 85% of the miles put on it are without trailer,9K lb. truck,dually.

Not going diesel on this,and need decent fuel mileage for the miles unloaded.I have similar truck with tired 6.0 that gets it done,kind of.It's a compromise,it's not like it sits around waiting to tow every 2 weeks.When the truck is going 65mph,its 2200 rpm with no throttle...that's where most of the miles and fuel is used.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:39 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is that why I saw him posting over on corvetteforum? I was surprised to see him blabbing over there
Old 04-19-2018, 12:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LMFAO!

Princesstalon definitely had a nasty habbit of writing long cryptic novels as it was so accurately put. I missed the part where he claimed that he was asked to be a mod. He came into one or two of my threads where I was just legitametely trying learn from some of you more experienced guys and he definitely came off like a total dick. He basically said I was lazy and stupid for just going to a catch can setup on my turbocharged LQ4 setup. I chuckled about it. Oh, and I love the catchcan setup I ultimately decided to go with!

He seemed like he had some knowledge to contribute to the community here but he always went about it in the most condescending assclown manner imaginable.

I think he was serious more than trolling. He seemd to get real mad and take **** real personal VERY easy.

The serious AND sarcastic comments about him made me laugh so hard my stomach literally hurt

I looked at some of his pics he had posted around and delved deeper into them. More than anything it seems he was just trying WAY too hard and just wanted to be accepted. But he went about it in the complete wrong manner.

------On topic------

Juan,

I agree with finding a 6.0 for what you're wanting to do since it will give you more torque to begin with. I think a 5.3 could do it though. There were some weird combinations GM used back in the day. Some of the OBS (GMT400) trucks came with 4.3 V6 engines in 3/4 tons! They made up for it with gearing to get torque multiplication

I have a 6.0 S475 in my little street truck. Granted it's not a dedicated tow rig, but with that engine and a 75mm turbo I could pull a house off it's foundation if I could just get traction. Spool is not laggy at all even with a T6 turbine and 1.32 A/R.... I'm sure it could be a bit faster with some other combinations like maybe a smaller hotside tubing diamter or a T4 instead of T6 but either way, it has no trouble coming into boost fast and hard.
Old 04-20-2018, 07:24 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Boost on a tow rig? Diesel sure, gas? Not ideal imo. Too much heat, too much detonation risk, and too many variables to have it be a workhorse.

Spend the boost money on a big cube NA motor. 400ish cubes are easy to do. Run pump gas and tow better all day long worry free

Or super cheap, 6.0L with a cam/head swap. 243 head, tbss intake etc. Will tow great and still have 12 second potential in a truck
Old 04-21-2018, 12:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by Game ova
R.I.P Kingtalon. It is you that I credit for increasing my reading stamina, I can now read for hours on end. You will be missed.
I sure the hell won't miss him
He would even try to argue with Albert Einstein if he had the chance. He reminded me of my alcoholic brother, He would argue just for something to do!
Old 04-21-2018, 12:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ElQueFør
LMFAO!

I missed the part where he claimed that he was asked to be a mod.
He said that because I said he should be glad I wasn't a mod.

Originally Posted by kingtal0n
And the mods love me they just offered me a mod position, said it would cut down on the insults. I turned it down and told them I would press the button from now on instead.

Last edited by LLLosingit; 04-21-2018 at 12:45 AM.
Old 04-24-2018, 05:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ya that fool would argue over a bologna sandwich if you gave him the opportunity ha ha
Old 04-25-2018, 06:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by cam
Boost on a tow rig? Diesel sure, gas? Not ideal imo. Too much heat, too much detonation risk, and too many variables to have it be a workhorse.

Spend the boost money on a big cube NA motor. 400ish cubes are easy to do. Run pump gas and tow better all day long worry free

Or super cheap, 6.0L with a cam/head swap. 243 head, tbss intake etc. Will tow great and still have 12 second potential in a truck
Boost on a tow engine is an insanely crazy stupid idea, I 100% agree.

Then again - Ford doesn't and puts turbo motors into their trucks and tells you to go ahead and tow your *** off, so ignore my comment above.

It's not 1997, nothing wrong with putting a smart turbo motor together.
Old 04-25-2018, 07:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
Boost on a tow engine is an insanely crazy stupid idea, I 100% agree.

Then again - Ford doesn't and puts turbo motors into their trucks and tells you to go ahead and tow your *** off, so ignore my comment above.

It's not 1997, nothing wrong with putting a smart turbo motor together.
I agree. It can certainly be done and it will be more efficient than a supercharger or a big cube NA motor.

The main concerns will be heat of course, so big radiator, intercooler and fans are a must. Also the boost should be kept relatively low while towing heavy loads, maybe 6-8 psi.

On E85 it would be super reliable as long as you kept temperature, afr and timing under control.

I want to do this in a square body crew cab soon.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by MrJuanderful
T,but turbo would actually accommodate the engine compartment easier,and would ease-up on some firewall modification.
I'm not sure what firewall modifications you would need to make to put an LSA supercharger under the hood of a full size truck.
I fit a LSA supercharged 6.0 under the hood of an S10 and never touched the firewall, The supercharger sits on top of the engine and is not much taller than a stock ls1/6 intake and I'm pretty sure it sits lower than the truck style intake.

I have a cowl hood on my truck but the supercharger fits under the stock hood. I only went to the cowl hood for looks and a place to get rid of under hood heat.

A turbo can and will certainly work but the LSA supercharger will give you the low end torque instantly and down low in the area you'll typically see while towing.
The other benefit of building an engine for a positive displacement supercharger is the fact that you can run 8.5 to 9.0- 1 compression and it will keep the low end torque and power will come in smooth as butter. My boost gauge rises almost as fast as the throttle pedal falls.
A turbo will have some lag and typically needs more rpm to make boost but a properly sized combination will keep that to a minimum.

Old 04-25-2018, 11:48 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks Mr.LLL,I also put a thread on Performance Truck,and got decent feedback there.

From what I can see so far,not a whole lot of people have done it with success.Who knows,in a few years it may be old hat,but there are a bunch of factors that are fighting against each other,what would be optimal in one area,makes it a challenge in another,mostly in the name of not letting EGTs go through the roof. But in the solution for that,reducing backflow and going with a larger turbo wheel and high AR,you get what I would have to think is a laggy response,and the need to keep things wound up.

I think the final nail in the coffin for my situation is the need to keep the cats, or at least the appearances of,in place for inspection purposes,I am in a smog area. That leads to remote mount,which just compounds the bad points and adds more. And even if I were to do a front mount,I chase enough harness related issues down on a fairly regular basis to not want to introduce even more heat into the engine bay.

I think I let you know before that I have the LSA and lid,there is so much more info now since I got that stuff a couple years ago,and it is a proven combo for my needs.Yes,I can work it out to make it all fit.