Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Which Gauges

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 10:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Gauges

Hi guys, I'm looking into going to a twin turbo setup from my current supercharger setup. My question is this I currently have a Fuel pressure gauge, trans temp gauge, and air-fuel ratio gauge is there any gauges I should get rid of that are not really necessary?
Old 05-13-2018, 12:23 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 529 Likes on 373 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by codyashby21
Hi guys, I'm looking into going to a twin turbo setup from my current supercharger setup. My question is this I currently have a Fuel pressure gauge, trans temp gauge, and air-fuel ratio gauge is there any gauges I should get rid of that are not really necessary?
Your need for gauges is very subjective, and subject to the realities of your build. Once your package is complete, the only gauge you should need is a speedo, and if manual transmission, a tach. The reality is that none of us ever truly believe our builds are perpetually bulletproof, so we gauge the most likely points of failure. There are as many thoughts on the best way to do this as there are people.
Old 05-13-2018, 03:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 137 Likes on 105 Posts

I've found AFR to be very useful for troubleshooting. I ignore it 99% of the time, but if the engine starts running poorly it helps a lot to know whether the AFR is in the ballpark, or too rich or too lean. I haven't had fuel pressure gauge before but there's been a couple times I've wished for one.
Old 05-13-2018, 04:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

You ignore your age gauge? I watch mine like a hawk. I wouldn't drive my car without it.
Old 05-13-2018, 04:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I broke down on the hyway the other day. Couldn't figure it out till I looked at my fuel pressure and noticed I had 4 lbs. lol
Fuel pump fuse went . I like to keep an eye on oil , fuel and AFR . Good for piece of mind
Old 05-13-2018, 04:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 137 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by MY_2K_Z
You ignore your age gauge? I watch mine like a hawk. I wouldn't drive my car without it.
My plumbing is solid and has been for a while now, so if the engine is running right it's not going to tell me anything I don't already know. I only check it AFR when I'm tuning or troubleshooting. And for tuning, data logs are far more useful than glancing at the gauge while driving.

I don't have one in my Corvette yet, but I've only had the car since spring. It'll definitely get one before I start adding power.
Old 05-13-2018, 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by codyashby21
No boost guage? Would think you would want one for sure.
Old 05-14-2018, 10:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't put the boost gauge because that is a given, was curious about the other gauges.