Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Anyone successfully swapped a T6 turbo onto a Huron V1 T4 kit?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2018, 06:51 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Unfortunately it appears that way.
Old 07-01-2018, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by necrocannibal
Will be wanting to upgrade my turbo soon to a T6 over a T4 and would really like to be able to just cut the flange off and weld on a T6 flange or use an adapter but not sure if I will have the room and was just wondering if anyone here has gone through this yet?
I have a T6 S480 on my HSP V1 kit. I used a t4-t6 spacer and made my own DP. I have posted to at least 2 other threads about this exact question over the last year. I have a BMR Turbo K and run 4" exhaust after my 5 to 4" reducer off the turbo. I also made a brace off the passenger side head. I also run a TH400
Old 07-01-2018, 08:44 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

That is awesome. How much room did you have between the crank pull and radiator after the T6 went in? I'm worried about space. Also do you have a link to the spacer you used? Thanks!
Old 07-05-2018, 10:44 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After you bolt on that T6 adapter, it still has to blow through the original t4 sized flange...that is the bottle neck in the exhaust.
Old 07-06-2018, 01:13 AM
Launching!

I have tuned a T4 turbo kit on a 403cube iron block that used a factory header on one side and only a 2 inch cross over pipe. it had a t6 flange grafted onto the manifolds and an 82mm single T6 1.32 rear. was on E85.

it wasn't ideal and once we put some boost into it you could really see where the manifolds were holding it back.

that being said though it still went 970rwhp through a 5500rpm converter on 20psi.

it will certainly work. it wont be the most efficient nor will it flow the best but it will definitely work. if you start will very low boost as add 1 or 2 psi at a time the power graph, torque curve and boost pressure (and EGT data if you're Hollywood) will paint a clear picture of when its beginning to choke up
Old 07-06-2018, 07:59 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GoodSpeed150
People have made over 1000rwhp on a single t4 flange.

We understand it's a bottleneck but not only are t6 turbos cheaper, we don't have to completely remake the current turbo kit. And instead of buying a large t4 setup now and a t6 turbo when we upgrade later, we only have to buy one turbo (t6 flange) to future proof the setup.

Yes when money becomes less of an issue I'll upgrade to a full t6 kit with all the goodies, but for a bit extra power I'm going to try to make this work now. Hence these questions...

​​​​​
Alright. I understand your train of thought on that.

Old 07-06-2018, 09:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 497 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by jrpimp00
I have a T6 S480 on my HSP V1 kit. I used a t4-t6 spacer and made my own DP. I have posted to at least 2 other threads about this exact question over the last year. I have a BMR Turbo K and run 4" exhaust after my 5 to 4" reducer off the turbo. I also made a brace off the passenger side head. I also run a TH400
Is your S480 a twin scroll exhaust housing?
I had always heard that using an open flange with a twin scroll flange could cause it spool a little slower, I'm running a manual so spool time is important to me.
Can you provide some feedback?
Cheers!
Old 07-06-2018, 09:49 AM
Launching!

twin scroll only works separately if the entire exhaust system is separated from one and other. 4 runner into one scroll with its own gate and 4 into the other with its own gate, a manifold that joins all runners at the turbo flange or has a single pre turbine gate port just allow the gas to pick the path of least resistance.

true twin scroll forces half the gas to exit via the tip of the turbine wheel traveling around the housing. the easiest path is past the center of the wheel and straight out. the gas forced to the tip of the turbine generate a greater torque on the wheel through mechanical advantage generating turbo RPM faster reducing lag
Old 07-06-2018, 10:03 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Luke19901
twin scroll only works separately if the entire exhaust system is separated from one and other. 4 runner into one scroll with its own gate and 4 into the other with its own gate, a manifold that joins all runners at the turbo flange or has a single pre turbine gate port just allow the gas to pick the path of least resistance.

true twin scroll forces half the gas to exit via the tip of the turbine wheel traveling around the housing. the easiest path is past the center of the wheel and straight out. the gas forced to the tip of the turbine generate a greater torque on the wheel through mechanical advantage generating turbo RPM faster reducing lag
Thank you for the reply Luke, please indulge me.
I had a TC7868 turbo and when I looked at the inlet side of the turbine flange (T4) it had a dividing wall, my assumption was that this was twin scroll and that the hotside also needed to be divided to work as efficiently as possible.
Most T6 setups I see have a divided flange with each bank feeding each side.
Is that not twin scroll?
I wouldn't mind upgrading to a borg at some point but spool would need to be a critical point since my car is a manual and its a street car, not a track car.
Old 07-06-2018, 10:09 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by The ******
Thank you for the reply Luke, please indulge me.
I had a TC7868 turbo and when I looked at the inlet side of the turbine flange (T4) it had a dividing wall, my assumption was that this was twin scroll and that the hotside also needed to be divided to work as efficiently as possible.
Most T6 setups I see have a divided flange with each bank feeding each side.
Is that not twin scroll?
I wouldn't mind upgrading to a borg at some point but spool would need to be a critical point since my car is a manual and its a street car, not a track car.
yea the dividing wall makes it a twin scroll turbo. but with the exhaust gases all being combined together with a manifold that isn't separated for each scroll when the gas gets to the turbine housing it'll go through which ever scroll is of least resistance. which is the scroll that exist past the center of the turbine wheel with the shortest path through the housing.

once the turbo is on boost different story as there is so much gas flow both paths are of equal resistance.

but the idea of twin scroll for faster boost requires exhaust gas flowing past the turbine wheel tip generating a greater torque on it to build RPM faster. gas is no different to water in how it flows.
Old 07-06-2018, 11:29 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Luke19901
yea the dividing wall makes it a twin scroll turbo. but with the exhaust gases all being combined together with a manifold that isn't separated for each scroll when the gas gets to the turbine housing it'll go through which ever scroll is of least resistance. which is the scroll that exist past the center of the turbine wheel with the shortest path through the housing.

once the turbo is on boost different story as there is so much gas flow both paths are of equal resistance.

but the idea of twin scroll for faster boost requires exhaust gas flowing past the turbine wheel tip generating a greater torque on it to build RPM faster. gas is no different to water in how it flows.
So then in theory a twin scroll turbo used on a merge style flange could have slow spooling / throttle response characteristics.
Hmmmm.
Old 07-06-2018, 11:37 AM
Launching!

it will still be an improvement over open flange and housing. its still directing some gas at the turbine wheel tip. but marginal improvement only. this turbo has ample turbine flow capacity. but small frame twin scroll units are restricted in turbine flow compared to the same size unit with open flange.

you're not turbo charging a 2.5ltr jap engine. you have 5.7ltrs to get the turbo going,

I put greater value on efficient turbine flow at target power lever over reducing lag in a single turbo LS combo
Old 07-08-2018, 08:28 AM
Launching!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...ron-speed.html

post #11

if that merge collector is still completely separated into the turbo flange then that is a true split pulse system
Old 07-08-2018, 10:06 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Why use a T4 to T6 adapter flange...how about cutting off the T4 flange and welding on a T6 flange....? No more bottle neck.....

Old 06-05-2020, 03:29 AM
12 Second Club

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by thompson
The room is relative, It will depend on the size of the T6 going on. You can run the adapter as well as cut it off and change it. I have changed his kits several times but we are always dealing with cars that have more relative room that a stock front end.
any pics of modifications

Quick Reply: Anyone successfully swapped a T6 turbo onto a Huron V1 T4 kit?