Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Factory PCM Can it Work with a Turbo ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 05:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Factory PCM Can it Work with a Turbo ?

How are you guys tuning around variable boost at different RPM's? MAP ? MAF? I would assume its easier to tune with a lower boost # vs say 15lbs and up... Is anyone running 15lbs on a stock PCM with good driveablity ?
Old 07-07-2004, 05:41 PM
TECH Addict

I also have this question,

I would think with some accell 60# injectors, and a MAF less closed loop tune the stock computer would be ok.

but what do I know
thanks
ed
firebird455@onebox.com
Old 07-07-2004, 10:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes, mine is currently working with 15lbs.. IMO, to get full potential out of your turbo'ed car though if you go with a piggy back or stand alone system like fast or dfi.

QMP got 700+ rwhp outta their turbo formula with PCM tuning.
Old 07-07-2004, 11:00 PM
TECH Addict

Does the QMP kit have the maf on the pressure side or on the non pressure side? I would think that having it on the non pressure side would eliminate maxing out the MAF?

any further info on this?
Thanks
ed
firebird455@onebox.com
Old 07-07-2004, 11:10 PM
TECH Resident

02BlueFirehawk how is your driveablility? Is your tune overly rich a certain rpms at low boost vs. high boost? I don't think I'd see more than 15psi unless it was a race only condition, in which case driveablility wouldn't be an issue. I wonder if you could recalabrate the MAP for higher pressure or does anyone make a MAP with the ability to read higher yet output the same so the pcm can read it..
Old 07-08-2004, 07:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a stock PCM on a turbo SS Silverado. My boost is around 12 psi and it does have zones at part throttle with low boost where it runs down around 11-1 af but the drivability is very good.
I am using a 60lb hr Mototron injector. My mass meter is in the pressure side so the inlet air temp will work right.
Kurt
Old 07-08-2004, 07:31 AM
TECH Resident

I have heard good things about FAST...

IMHO nothing beats a standalone with a good wideband o2 sensor... Closed loop feedback is'nt just for idle and cruise anymore....

I know of one car (non GM) that ran 10's it's first outing on the FAST system during test and tune...

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61932
Old 07-08-2004, 07:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 69firebird
Does the QMP kit have the maf on the pressure side or on the non pressure side? I would think that having it on the non pressure side would eliminate maxing out the MAF?
MAF is before the turbo, def.. dont want it on the pressure side...

Originally Posted by Ripped427
02BlueFirehawk how is your driveablility? Is your tune overly rich a certain rpms at low boost vs. high boost? I don't think I'd see more than 15psi unless it was a race only condition, in which case driveablility wouldn't be an issue. I wonder if you could recalabrate the MAP for higher pressure or does anyone make a MAP with the ability to read higher yet output the same so the pcm can read it..
Car will run rich on normal driving conditions... My tranny is/was slipping bad so it's hard to gauge... Now that the clutch packs have gone up, it'll be a while before I can afford to drive the car again.

If you have the money, piggyback a stand alone...
Old 07-08-2004, 09:38 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Yeah the stock PCM can be tricked to work with boost, but its not very efficient at part throttle apps. The drawback to the standalones is $$$. We are working on a cheaper solution to that problem. Will be testing it soon...

Jose
Old 07-08-2004, 10:17 AM
TECH Resident

Microtech in austraila sells a custom stand alone engine managment for the ls1 that they use in the monaros it's just starting to show up in the states. I'm planing on using it in the near future cause it only costs $900 for the whole setup with 2 bar map and WB o2. it also uses ALL the stock sensors.
Old 07-08-2004, 10:28 AM
TECH Resident

I have heard that microtech is alright... If I remember right I think there is a free software demo somewhere on the net for microtech. At $900 it is a steal...
Old 07-08-2004, 10:31 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MYTURBOT/A
Microtech in austraila sells a custom stand alone engine managment for the ls1 that they use in the monaros it's just starting to show up in the states.
If you're referring to the TSI unit, I own one. But we are instead trying to make the Pro M maf and translator work with the GM PCM.
Old 07-08-2004, 10:43 AM
TECH Resident

A good standalone adjustable knock threshold, o2 feedback parameters and many other features that once you used them you wont want to give them up..

I have tuned turbo cars via maft. There is only so much that can be done and the adjustments are really course.. It really is'nt extremely effective at compensating for injector dead time...
Old 07-08-2004, 11:51 AM
TECH Resident

This is the local dealer for Microtech.
http://www.centralfloridaturbo.com/microtech.php
Old 07-08-2004, 01:10 PM
TECH Addict

My turbo,
I went to that site and you cant tell too much detial on what is what. Is this full standaloe or piggyback? Is it splicing wires or plug and play? and are you sure it comes with WBo2? it says about coils would we need new ones of htat?
thanks alot
ed
firebird455@onebox.com
Old 07-08-2004, 03:57 PM
TECH Resident

Well it's a stand alone "Engine" management, but you still use the stock pcm for trans and some of the gauges. You can use the stock coils and Tach. I'm not sure about the plug and play part of it but I know the system itself comes with the harness to connect to the stock coils, injectors, crank and cam sensors, MAF and had a built in 2bar map. I'm sure there is some splicing that has to be done but it does come with the connectors to plug into the above sensors. I'll post up the site itself when i get home.
Old 07-08-2004, 04:01 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am pretty happy with ls1edit and the stock pcm. For a drag racer, I think it can work fine.....you are either cruising or wot and my Incons make full boost pretty quick so I don't have much transition time to tune for.
Old 07-08-2004, 05:56 PM
TECH Resident

Here's a link to Microtech. http://www.microtechfuelinjection.com/
Old 07-08-2004, 06:16 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MYTURBOT/A
Well it's a stand alone "Engine" management, but you still use the stock pcm for trans and some of the gauges. You can use the stock coils and Tach. I'm not sure about the plug and play part of it but I know the system itself comes with the harness to connect to the stock coils, injectors, crank and cam sensors, MAF and had a built in 2bar map. I'm sure there is some splicing that has to be done but it does come with the connectors to plug into the above sensors. I'll post up the site itself when i get home.

Looking forward to seeing your post. If it can run the trans and the basic factory gauges via the stock pcm or whatever it could be just what the doctor ordered...

Hummm, does it run either hi or low impendence injectors? I was thinking of ordering a set of 70lb'ers because they are the largest I know of that work with a stock pcm
Old 07-08-2004, 06:27 PM
TECH Resident

It's easier to do that way... They really are a stand alone in that it can be run w.o the stock computer... You just retain alot more of the peripheral goodies when you split duty. I have'nt seen too many ECU's that had much in the way of things lke ABS, Guage cluster, AC, charge system etc... Basically anything you don't need to change around to make power will be controlled by the oe PCM..... You still need to change the PCM for things like gearing etc...

Quick Reply: Factory PCM Can it Work with a Turbo ?