Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Installed new scavenge pump (ebay)

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 07:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Installed new scavenge pump (ebay)

So I finally got around to installing the new pump, to replace the 2 year old turbowerx that laid down on me recently. The new pump is a gear drive, and I wish I had done this the first go around. Its noticeably louder than the turbowerx, but for $60 I will put up with it. With the cutout closed, I can barely hear it over the motor at idle. The only issue I have so far with it is, it leaks a bit of oil around the top of the pump, but it's not too big of an issue, as I will just pull it back off and rtv seal around it and it should be all good afterwards. It's still early, but as it is now, I would recommend this unit.

Old 08-06-2018, 08:04 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Doesn't make me feel good that a brand new pump leaks oil at all, or that you can. Hear it over the motor. Guess there's always a compromise with anything. Long as it keeps pumping oil.
Old 08-06-2018, 08:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ddnspider
Doesn't make me feel good that a brand new pump leaks oil at all, or that you can. Hear it over the motor. Guess there's always a compromise with anything. Long as it keeps pumping oil.
I can see why you would feel that way, but this is supposedly a repurposed "marine fuel pump". Being that there is no diaphragm to worry about anymore, I'm not terribly bothered to spend the 5 min to pull the silver plate of to rtv it.
Old 08-06-2018, 08:30 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

I gotcha.
Old 08-07-2018, 04:19 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm running one also. My pump is only loud at idle, but when im driving I cant hear it; i've freaked out a few times thinking it stop working. These are loud until you start sending a good volume of oil to them then they quiet down. Also using the rubber insulators helps. I am trying to get a custom heat sink made for it. Where did you mount your pump?

Last edited by Lethalwx69; 08-08-2018 at 03:28 AM.
Old 08-07-2018, 04:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Lethalwx69
I'm running one also. My pump is only loud at idle, but when im driving I cant hear it; i've freaked out a few times thinking it stop working. These are loud until you start you start sending a good volume of oil to them then they quiet down. Also using the rubber insulators helps. I am trying to get a custom heat sink made for it. Where did you mount your pump?
I mounted it under the radiator. How long have you had yours?
Old 08-07-2018, 05:54 PM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

Depends where it is leaking and why...and perhaps how it is mounted.

My Exa is mounted sideways...it doesnt leak, it's quiet, and 3+ years on works great.
Old 08-07-2018, 06:01 PM
TECH Regular

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Question if u can help would be cool. I don't know how a scavenge pump works. Oil leaves the turbo and runs downhill to the pump.then is pumped back to oil pan? Does the pump pull the oil from the turbo or is it gravity only. Basically saying is it no good if it's not right under the oil return on turbo. I want to ditch my single turbo up front and put twin 60s under the cab right past trans cross member one on each side. It will give me lots of room in the s10. Going to swap cabs to a stock one with ac and all that and make my mostly track setup a mostly track setup with a stock look as possible
Old 08-07-2018, 06:09 PM
9 Second Club

Depends what pump you use etc

But there are thousands of turbo setups out there using scavenge pumps, with the turbo discharge/pump arrangement configured in many different ways. So there really are many easy options.
Old 08-07-2018, 06:13 PM
TECH Regular

I know that the big money guys always have there turbos near the firewall in ther pro built cars like Ryan Martin big chief etc. They all have there turbos tilted where the center section and oil drain are cocked backwards. I always was told that's a no no on street cars but would a scavenge pump allow that type of turbo placement or is it just the big money turbos that u can and not a couple box stock s366s
Old 08-07-2018, 06:30 PM
9 Second Club

Ball bearing turbos will be a little more forgiving about angles....but for most part in worst case they'd just smoke a bit. Hardly a concern for cars like that

Never run an oil journal at such angles, scavenge pump or not.
Old 08-08-2018, 03:19 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Game ova
I mounted it under the radiator. How long have you had yours?
I've had mines for about a month; I just relocated mine to behind the radiator. Another must with these pump is to take the cover plate off, pull the gears, and clean out any trash from the machine process. RTV'ing the plate will stop the leaking.

Last edited by Lethalwx69; 08-08-2018 at 03:30 AM.
Old 08-08-2018, 03:27 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Dimeomboost
Question if u can help would be cool. I don't know how a scavenge pump works. Oil leaves the turbo and runs downhill to the pump.then is pumped back to oil pan? Does the pump pull the oil from the turbo or is it gravity only. Basically saying is it no good if it's not right under the oil return on turbo. I want to ditch my single turbo up front and put twin 60s under the cab right past trans cross member one on each side. It will give me lots of room in the s10. Going to swap cabs to a stock one with ac and all that and make my mostly track setup a mostly track setup with a stock look as possible
Downhill flow to the pump is optimal
Old 08-08-2018, 03:59 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Lethalwx69
Downhill flow to the pump is optimal
My Exa is about 18" higher than my turbos....zero problems.

Choose pump wisely and it will work..
Old 08-09-2018, 09:45 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
My Exa is about 18" higher than my turbos....zero problems.

Choose pump wisely and it will work..
could u elaborate more? Not wanting to pry into everyone's secrets but if u could p.m
me a name for this type of pump I would be so grateful also if u had a picture of your setup to give me an idea of how I could do mine.
Old 08-09-2018, 11:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

http://www.turbowerx.com/Scavenge_Pu.../Exa-Pump.html
Old 08-10-2018, 09:54 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had mine for a few months now. Works good, but leaked too out of the silver cap. Removed it smeared some RTV around and reinstalled it and let dry for a day before using. No leak now.
Old 08-10-2018, 11:44 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Dimeomboost
could u elaborate more? Not wanting to pry into everyone's secrets but if u could p.m
me a name for this type of pump I would be so grateful also if u had a picture of your setup to give me an idea of how I could do mine.
I used to have a Vortech...the blower was bolted onto a bracket placing it above the alternator ( FBody, also above the PAS pump etc ) and on the drivers side of the car

Well not mine as I'm not in the US and I'm not LHD and not an FBody lol...but you get the idea.

After removal of the blower...I then re-used that bracket to mount my scavenge pump and remote oil filter to accommodate the low mounted twins. So the pump is around the same height as the valve covers for example and mounted sideways.
This was simply convenient for me, what might suit you..no idea.

Old 08-10-2018, 11:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
I used to have a Vortech...the blower was bolted onto a bracket placing it above the alternator ( FBody, also above the PAS pump etc ) and on the drivers side of the car

Well not mine as I'm not in the US and I'm not LHD and not an FBody lol...but you get the idea.

After removal of the blower...I then re-used that bracket to mount my scavenge pump and remote oil filter to accommodate the low mounted twins. So the pump is around the same height as the valve covers for example and mounted sideways.
This was simply convenient for me, what might suit you..no idea.
Seems like you would still get smoke with the pump that high over the turbos, unless maybe you're using a sump.
Old 08-10-2018, 12:02 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Game ova
Seems like you would still get smoke with the pump that high over the turbos, unless maybe you're using a sump.
Nope, no sump, no smoke.

I had DIY drain flanges for the bottom of the turbo made from some alloy rectangle section, but more recently swapped to these as a more sturdy option

https://huronspeed.com/product/huron...nge-side-exit/

They simply both transfer via 5/8 OD tube which I welded into a Tee, then to the pump via a shitty check valve and -10 hose.