Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Holley hp EFI, 03 4.8 base tune?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 09:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Holley hp EFI, 03 4.8 base tune?

So i was hoping someone might shed some light on what cal to start with for my setup. Or if someone could share a tune from a similar setup, that would be even better lol. Thanks for any help.

Setup is.
holley hp, V4 for ls1
Stock 2003 4.8
Ls6 intake
Return style fuel system boost ref reg
HPI 120 lb @ 43psi injectors
Billet 7075 Turbo
E85 fuel on gas Afr scale
Trans th400​​​​​​
Old 09-10-2018, 10:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

I would start with the ls1 cal and then make the changes needed for your setup, You're going to make so many changes that it doesn't really matter.
If the cal is setup for gas and you are starting with E85 on the gas setting you may have to add fuel (I had to add 30%) across the board to your fuel table to get enough fuel to start.
You also want to make an advanced table to pull timing as boost increases at least until you get a handle on it.
I set a lower Rev limit until I feel that I'm getting handle on the tune, It's real easy to break the tires loose and spike the RPM's higher than you'd like and with the tune not being dialed in bad things can happen fast.
You'll need to make several changes
Select the correct o2 sensor for your application. (Not doing so can ruin the sensor)
Change engine displacement.
Change injector size and put in your injector data.
Check that all sensors are correct for your application.
Remove the 4l60e transmission.
I'm sure I'm forgetting some, Just take your time. Initial setup needs to be right or you'll chase your tail trying to get it going.
Old 09-11-2018, 07:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

doesnt matter...but you need to start with one that has a 2 or 3 bar map then modify it to suit your needs/builf from there.
im a holley fan
Old 09-11-2018, 07:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by jasonsnova
doesnt matter...but you need to start with one that has a 2 or 3 bar map
Why is that?
I've done 3 that were boosted and never started a single one with a 2 or 3 bar map. I used a stock 6.0 ls2 dbw cal for 2 and the 5.3 for the other and just changed to a GM 3 bar map, Worked fine for me.
If you change from a NA map sensor to a 3 bar (or any other) You get this message.
Fuel and timing scales are changed.

Before map change

After switching to GM 3 bar map

Last edited by LLLosingit; 09-11-2018 at 07:51 PM.
Old 09-12-2018, 06:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 237 Likes on 165 Posts

To prevent killing plugs right off the bat, you want the CL working right away. Holley has a
couple turbo global's you can use as a start. Matt has a tune on his site, you would have to change
to your injs, etc. I could send mine, but I use a flex fuel sen., I use the Holley 120's, GM 2525 Map. sen.
Old 09-12-2018, 06:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by forcd ind
To prevent killing plugs right off the bat, you want the CL working right away.
I've never had that problem. Last one was a I tuned was a 6-71 blown 5.3 on e85 and had to add a ton of fuel before it was ready to test fire.
I also found when you use another tune with different injectors you usually have to adjust the fuel table before firing anyway.
I guess whatever works for him.
Old 09-12-2018, 05:13 PM
On The Tree

Good info guys, kind of curious if any of you have tried the LSx 364ci 850HP 20PSI DBW tune? I played around and molded that tune and deleted the things that I don't have on my setup. Changed the CI , and made the target air-fuel ratios a little richer for the e85. I also deleted about 2 degrees of timing in all the areas where I would be making boost. I have not tried to crank it yet, but probably will here in a couple hours, I still need to change the injector data to match my injectors.
Old 09-12-2018, 06:04 PM
On The Tree

Default Help

I do have a question on injector data, what exactly should I be changing? is it as simple as inputting the injector flow at given PSI?
Old 09-12-2018, 08:57 PM
TECH Junkie

From the Holley files.
Fuel Injector Information - Set - Off Time

Description: The injector off time curve (or dead time) is basically the effective time where there is no flow between the time an injector is commanded open and closed. This is specific to every injector as well as the system operating voltage. Pressure also affects this number. The 1x16 curve in the software accounts for varying system voltage.

Holley includes a sheet that has this data for all of the injectors Holley offers as well as some other commonly used injectors. If this information is not entered correctly, the base table fuel flow numbers will not reflect what the real fuel flow is. Also if the system operates under different voltages, system stability can be affected, especially at idle. Note that injector information is available in the contents section “Appendixes” in your software.

Old 09-12-2018, 09:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Just a tip if you didn't know already, At the top of Holley software is a "Help" and "Help?"
If you click on the help with the ? and then click on the area you have a question about it will take you to that section of the Holley manual.
Old 09-12-2018, 09:23 PM
On The Tree

Thank you for taking the time to help out, unfortunately my injectors are not from Holley, they are HPI.
Old 09-12-2018, 09:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by boostedrides
Thank you for taking the time to help out, unfortunately my injectors are not from Holley, they are HPI.
Then see if HPI has the data you need, I had to E-mail Injector Dynamics to get the data for the injectors of theirs.

I went to the HPI site and they don't list the data, They have you e-mail them.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:37 PM
On The Tree

I found it on the site all you do is go to the search function and type in data, I'm more confused now than I was before , im really not sure how to read or get the information I need from what I see on the site.
Old 09-13-2018, 07:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by boostedrides
I found it on the site all you do is go to the search function and type in data, I'm more confused now than I was before , im really not sure how to read or get the information I need from what I see on the site.
Send them an E-mail telling them that you need the injector data for your model of injectors for Holley EFI. They should give you a scale similar to what you see in the Holley software. Then you simply input the date in the little boxes.
If you have any questions send me a PM with your number and I'll give you a call. It might be easier to figure out that way.