Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Variable Speed PWM Fan Control under $25 or less DIY

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 08:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,393 Likes on 879 Posts

Originally Posted by markster
Does anyone know where to get the plugs for the ebay Mitsubishi fan controller?

thanks
They are most likely Sumitomo or Yazaki. Good luck sourcing Yazaki. I don't know much about Sumitomo.

Andrew
Old 02-18-2019, 10:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LSswap, I sent you a PM
Old 02-19-2019, 11:23 AM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by LSswap
Joe, Do you have and detail specs on how they work, part numbers? You're always a good resource for information. It would be good to have all the info in one place.
Not sure how I'm just now seeing this.

Its a fan relay from a 4.0 Jeep. OEM part number is RY330k, which cross references with Dorman 902-303. Its $25-30 new and the connector is INCLUDED. Very compact and uses a simple 4-wire connector. Power, ground, input, and output.

I was reluctant to try it at first even though it was recommended right in the MS3Pro manual for a high current (40 amp) PWM controller. Then I seen the price was worth a shot and picked one up for $22 new and used it on my fuel pumps to be controlled directly from Megasquirt.

I'm not sure if there is any input/output frequency conversion, but the input signal coming from megasquirt is relatively low Hz. I noticed that my external AEM 380s hummed a bit when being controlled, but they were still much quieter than a full time digital relay.

Not sure how it stacks up against either of the ones mentioned here, but its an all around good choice. Very small, and $25 new with connector makes it at least a viable option.
Old 02-19-2019, 12:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 504 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeNova
Not sure how I'm just now seeing this.

Its a fan relay from a 4.0 Jeep. OEM part number is RY330k, which cross references with Dorman 902-303. Its $25-30 new and the connector is INCLUDED. Very compact and uses a simple 4-wire connector. Power, ground, input, and output.

I was reluctant to try it at first even though it was recommended right in the MS3Pro manual for a high current (40 amp) PWM controller. Then I seen the price was worth a shot and picked one up for $22 new and used it on my fuel pumps to be controlled directly from Megasquirt.

I'm not sure if there is any input/output frequency conversion, but the input signal coming from megasquirt is relatively low Hz. I noticed that my external AEM 380s hummed a bit when being controlled, but they were still much quieter than a full time digital relay.

Not sure how it stacks up against either of the ones mentioned here, but its an all around good choice. Very small, and $25 new with connector makes it at least a viable option.
I'm gonna try to get my hands on one, test it and document how it works here. If anyone has one for me to test, shoot me a PM. Thanks Joe.
Old 02-19-2019, 03:33 PM
Staging Lane

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The Dorman 902-310 is also a good option. Easily controlled with one ground-PWM'd signal and it has a nice beefy heat sink built in. They were $25 on Amazon 6 months ago, but it looks like the price has gone up some.
Old 02-23-2019, 06:25 PM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone have a wiring diagram to properly connect the 902-310 or 902-303 to a MS box?

thanks!
Old 02-24-2019, 11:41 AM
Teching In

I found the wiring instructions in the MS3PRO manual. Search the manual for RY330K:

https://www.ampefi.com/wp-content/up...ate_manual.pdf
Old 02-25-2019, 08:30 AM
Staging Lane

For the Dorman 902-310 module:
pin 1 - Fused +12V
pin 2 - Output to load
pin 3 - ground
pin 4 - Control wire (ECU PWM to ground)
Old 02-25-2019, 09:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by shainiac
For the Dorman 902-310 module:
pin 1 - Fused +12V
pin 2 - Output to load
pin 3 - ground
pin 4 - Control wire (ECU PWM to ground)
Nice.
Does it translate the PWM frequency to a higher one, or does it put out the same frequency that you put in?
Old 02-25-2019, 12:44 PM
Staging Lane

I believe freq in = freq out. For the 902-310 module, I've found a couple people using 128hz and said it worked well. I used a little 10hz square wave generator and my fan was audibly choppy. I have 2 for rad fans and 2 for fuel pumps, but have only bench tested them so far.
Old 02-25-2019, 03:33 PM
Teching In

Yes i believe freq-in = freq-out as well. I don't have any way to measure it but I can definitely hear the fan buzz change as I change the frequency on my MS3.

I tested a 902-310 with f-body fans, and the fans have an annoying buzz on all frequencies the MS3 can do.
Old 02-26-2019, 07:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by shainiac
I believe freq in = freq out. For the 902-310 module, I've found a couple people using 128hz and said it worked well. I used a little 10hz square wave generator and my fan was audibly choppy. I have 2 for rad fans and 2 for fuel pumps, but have only bench tested them so far.
Originally Posted by markster
Yes i believe freq-in = freq-out as well. I don't have any way to measure it but I can definitely hear the fan buzz change as I change the frequency on my MS3.

I tested a 902-310 with f-body fans, and the fans have an annoying buzz on all frequencies the MS3 can do.
I had the same noise issue when I built my own PWM module. Default frequencies on arduino are noisy on motors as well. If you make the arduino generate custom frequencies, then you lose some PWM ports. I needed lots of PWM ports and some custom frequencies, so I use an additional arduino nano ($3) to make a frequency converter. LMK if anyone is interested in the frequency converter,

So it sounds like this Dorman unit would be better as a fuel pump drive, since you can have more control of the output, while the Mazda/Misubishi or the C6 Vette modules would be better for fans since they offload the function of frequency translation.

Last edited by LSswap; 02-26-2019 at 08:20 AM.
Old 06-22-2019, 10:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've been running the Mazda/Mitsubishi modules in my turbo Vette for a while now. They work great.

Last edited by LSswap; 06-22-2019 at 10:13 PM.
Old 07-09-2019, 01:10 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the testing and information gathering here! I am on the verge or ordering a Holley Terminator X and was trying to figure out how I am going to handle fan control 1 and 2, abs speed signal 128Hz, speedometer, and cruise speed signal and still have an open output for possible nitrous control later on. This will help me free up one fan output. And I think i have the speeds figured out as well.

I am assuming that you can hook up 2 controllers to one wire and they work just fine? What year Taurus and Mitsubishi should I be looking for if I go that route?
Old 07-09-2019, 09:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jeebalow
Thanks for all the testing and information gathering here! I am on the verge or ordering a Holley Terminator X and was trying to figure out how I am going to handle fan control 1 and 2, abs speed signal 128Hz, speedometer, and cruise speed signal and still have an open output for possible nitrous control later on. This will help me free up one fan output. And I think i have the speeds figured out as well.

I am assuming that you can hook up 2 controllers to one wire and they work just fine? What year Taurus and Mitsubishi should I be looking for if I go that route?
Which Terminator port (P+ or P-) to which fan module (Mazda/Mitsubishi or Ford/Corvette c6)? Why 2 to 1?
Old 07-09-2019, 09:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

The Terminator X outputs are only ground side or PWM-. There are no +12v outputs on the Term X.

Andrew
Old 07-09-2019, 10:20 AM
Staging Lane

Which Terminator port (P+ or P-) to which fan module (Mazda/Mitsubishi or Ford/Corvette c6)? Why 2 to 1?
Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
The Terminator X outputs are only ground side or PWM-. There are no +12v outputs on the Term X.

Andrew
Thanks for info Andrew! 2 to 1 in order to use the minimum amount of outputs. The Term X only has 4 outputs and they can get eaten up very quickly.

Would one or the other module work better for the PWM- outputs?
Old 07-09-2019, 10:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jeebalow
Thanks for info Andrew! 2 to 1 in order to use the minimum amount of outputs. The Term X only has 4 outputs and they can get eaten up very quickly.

Would one or the other module work better for the PWM- outputs?
Since the Terminator only has P- ports, i would go with the Corvette C6/ford module only because that would require no additional parts, just a direct connection. One module should be able to handle two fans unless they have some ridiculous current draw. If you want to use 2 C6 modules, I don't see any reason why the two control signals can't be connected to one P- port.

With a P- port, I think 90% duty cycle is the slowest speed, 10% duty cycle is maximum speed. Less than 10% or more than 90% is off. Once you have it installed, I would test to see at which point near 10% the unit shuts off and set you max duty a safe amount away from that while still having the fans run at max speed. Andrew, keep me honest here.

I don't have a Holley, so I can't test this.

Last edited by LSswap; 07-09-2019 at 10:48 AM.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Since the Terminator only has P- ports, i would go with the Corvette C6/ford module only because that would require no additional parts, just a direct connection. One module should be able to handle two fans unless they have some ridiculous current draw. If you want to use 2 C6 modules, I don't see any reason why the two control signals can't be connected to one P- port.

With a P- port, I think 90% duty cycle is the slowest speed, 10% duty cycle is maximum speed. Less than 10% or more than 90% is off. Once you have it installed, I would test to see at which point near 10% the unit shuts off and set you max duty a safe amount away from that while still having the fans run at max speed. Andrew, keep me honest here.

That all sounds about right. The other option is to use a C7 fan. It's rated at 600watts and has the pwm controller built it! If I was to do my Cougar over, that's the way I would go. New C7 fan is about $200. I believe they are brushless too.

Andrew
Old 07-09-2019, 12:35 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
That all sounds about right. The other option is to use a C7 fan. It's rated at 600watts and has the pwm controller built it! If I was to do my Cougar over, that's the way I would go. New C7 fan is about $200. I believe they are brushless too.

Andrew
Thanks for the info guys!

I already have the truck fans that I got for free, so I think I'll stick to those. They fit my radiator really well too. I'll look for the ford/c6 module and go from there! I appreciate all the help!

Quick Reply: Variable Speed PWM Fan Control under $25 or less DIY