Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

To the boosted guys that have had a engine failure

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 11:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 501 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by Game ova
You can have all the wideband you want, but if you are able to stare at it while wide open, your car is way too slow.
I was just going to say this, I only make 700whp and with a six speed on street tires means I don't look at my AFR gauge while under WOT....ever lol.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:08 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Nobody is saying to stare at it, but a quick glace is completely reasonable unless you can't walk and chew gun at the same time.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:13 AM
8 Second Club

Received 944 Likes on 700 Posts

If you are staring at a wideband, even in an 11 sec car....you're a fool. But yes, my junk has seen 10s, nice jab btw.
Hey I've been gone awhile, had to get one in lol. I tune cars much faster then 11 sec all the time and its easy to keep an eye on a wideband reading. Heck I watch boost, wideband, RPM, etc... I like having data and not blowing stuff up.

Do you not have a shift light or look at your tach while driving? To me its almost that basic, I have them arranged so I can look at the same spot to get the data and still keep my eye on the road.

Old 10-15-2018, 11:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by ddnspider
Nobody is saying to stare at it, but a quick glace is completely reasonable unless you can't walk and chew gun at the same time.
Listen man, were not talking about blower cars that are able to use stock 4l60s that live. Talkin bout cars making some steam here.....turbo cars.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:15 AM
10 Second Club

Listen man, were not talking about blower cars that are able to use stock 4l60s that live. Talkin bout cars making some steam here.....turbo cars.
Listen man, we're not talking about people who can't drive a stick and have to swap to an auto....we're talking about real drivers
Old 10-15-2018, 11:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Listen man, we're not talking about people who can't drive a stick and have to swap to an auto....we're talking about real drivers
Lol, touche.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:35 AM
8 Second Club

Received 944 Likes on 700 Posts

LOL TRUTH! I've come to the conclusion nobody cares about auto cars, even an 8 sec auto car is pretty boring. Auto car can run mid 7's and everyone yawns, then a manual car runs 9's and everyone loses their ****.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:46 AM
10 Second Club

Lol, touche.
I'm just messing. If it makes you feel better, the blower kit is sold. I literally had cash and people on standby within 3 hours of listing it LMAO.

Originally Posted by SLOW SEDAN
LOL TRUTH! I've come to the conclusion nobody cares about auto cars, even an 8 sec auto car is pretty boring. Auto car can run mid 7's and everyone yawns, then a manual car runs 9's and everyone loses their ****.
Pretty much LMAO. I'm just going to do an electric Fbody and make peoples heads explode.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SLOW SEDAN
I gotta go ahead and sorta disagree with you there. There's an auto car that comes to BG, and everytime he makes a pass, nearly every soul in attendance is watching him teleport down the track. True street car too I might add.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:49 AM
TECH Junkie

I'm just messing. If it makes you feel better, the blower kit is sold. I literally had cash and people on standby within 3 hours of listing it LMAO.

Pretty much LMAO. I'm just going to do an electric Fbody and make peoples heads explode.
Are you coming to the dark side?? Have you seen the light???!!
Old 10-15-2018, 11:52 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by 47ford
Learn to read plugs and you won’t have any problems
That'll hardly help in the scenario mentioned, or countless other real time events.

A wideband is a critical piece of information, but it can also be affected by other things, mis-interpreted or simply not enough information.

And a glance when driving is usually enough, but of course for proper monitoring that's what datalogging is for. In which case the more information you can gain the better.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:56 AM
10 Second Club

Are you coming to the dark side?? Have you seen the light???!!
Haha, I've been on the dark side before. Since I've got 2 Fbody's now I decided to de-mod and sell my SS. Probably sell it and the current DD and pickup either a V2 or ATS-V or some other quick 4dr for a new DD. I did keep the 60lb injectors in the event I feel the urge for boost again though lol.
Old 10-15-2018, 12:05 PM
Launching!

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

Only thing I was trying to make a point was that don’t rely on the wide band. Yes it’s it critical on a boosted set up to give a reference.... example: I had a friend who relied on the wide band and was content because it was “rich so that means safe” and when I say rich it was in the low 10s I advised differently and what happened? Bent every single gen 4 rod in his motor then rebuilt it and lifter a ring land.... extremely silly... but if he would have pulled a plug he would have seen the white specks of detonation from being overly rich.... I get it sensors are the new thing and it makes life easy but please read the plugs they never lie on what is going on in there... didn’t mean to start a pissing match lol
Old 10-15-2018, 12:12 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Sensors are certainly not new, widebands have been around for around 20 years, and narrowbands a hell of a lot longer.

But yes, one sensor input alone is only a very small part of a bigger picture, just the same as it is also only one aspect of tuning to ensure everything is happy

Reading plugs may never lie....but they will also only tell you anything after the event has occurred with no time to do anything about it, nor can they tell you exactly what rpm or load any particular issues may be..

Widebands are still relatively slow in terms of response, but they are giving an almost live insight as to how some things are running which can assist with prevention...when all used correctly.
Old 10-15-2018, 12:22 PM
Launching!

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

Well to me they are....haven’t been doing turbo long and the majority of my time was blow through with zero sensors minus the wide band so the only way I knew to tune was off the plug so to each his own
Old 10-15-2018, 01:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 501 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by jordoza
I have lost an engine under boost. I had a wideband it didnt show anything amiss. To much timing or to much rpm with dod lifters killed mine. Under full song any failure is hard to trace to the reason it happened. But the tooner i trusted with my car had turned the rpm up to 6800 and had stock timing at 15 pounds on 91 octane. One way or the other something was going to die for sure. Wide band showed 11.5 the entire time the piston disentegrated and the rod whipped through the block. Pieces of piston bent valves and trashed the cam or the valves stuck open from the lifter and trashed the piston. Chicken or the egg. I saw an interview on tv one time and the intwrviewer ask a top fuel driver what happened to the engine? He answers back this isnt nascar who freaking knows everythings trashed at this point.
See once again its all in the tune, I've been hammering the ever loving **** out of my boosted LS1 for going on four years (knocks on wood).
I don't do **** all else but change the oil twice a year, I haven't even changed the plugs now that I think about it lol.
I attribute the fact its lived this long at almost 700 wheel is all because of the tune, I have no idea whats what but it works.
For the record the banter between GameOva and Spider is hilarious. = D
Old 10-15-2018, 01:14 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by The ******
For the record the banter between GameOva and Spider is hilarious. = D
ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!!!!????
Old 10-15-2018, 02:57 PM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Haha, I've been on the dark side before. Since I've got 2 Fbody's now I decided to de-mod and sell my SS. Probably sell it and the current DD and pickup either a V2 or ATS-V or some other quick 4dr for a new DD. I did keep the 60lb injectors in the event I feel the urge for boost again though lol.
My wife's got a 2016 ATS-V 6 speed. You're gonna love it. Hers is a 2 door though.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:59 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ascastil
My wife's got a 2016 ATS-V 6 speed. You're gonna love it. Hers is a 2 door though.
They weren't on my radar until my wife said something to me about it and I looked them up and was pleasantly surprised.
Old 10-15-2018, 03:04 PM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Me neither. I told my wife one day that I saw an ATS and it looked like a pretty nice car. My wife being a go fast car chick said to me all excited "did you know they come in a V?" I looked it up with her and a year later I bought one for her. Was not disappointed lol.